Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

NGC grades 1893-CC GSA hard pack ms-63+

TONEDDOLLARSTONEDDOLLARS Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭

The pops show they recently graded the one and only GSA 1893-CC , big find

Comments

• Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow! Although I personally would want the protection of the PCGS mega slab for that coin.

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

There was one years ago that sold on ebay but it was circulated in the mixed hard pack. It was raw and appears to never have been graded. Seems I recall a $7,000 price (I could be wrong on that).
    I always wondered if it had been in a crackout slab from the GSA (I've never tried to pry one apart and don't know how they would fare when trying that).
    bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

Circulated in hard pack , not a soft pack?? NGC pops list several in soft packs. If you are correct and there is a circ in a hard pack that may answere a lingering question I have.

• Options

They say that the 89cc was supposedly not in the original treasury bags but was salted in the mix to send around as a promotional tool to banks and such promoting the sale.

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    AmazonXAmazonX Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭

What does everyone think this will be worth?

• Options

@FadeToBlack said:
    Thought they slabbed 1 '89 and 1 '93 into hard packs to just complete the run. If my memory is right, the '89 was Circ, the '93 wasn't.

Not true, the 89 is graded ms-61DMPL. There is reportedly one each of 92,93 both unc.

• Options

@TONEDDOLLARS said:

@CascadeChris said:
    Wow! Although I personally would want the protection of the PCGS mega slab for that coin.

Most GSA collectors prefer NGC graded GSA's

I know but with a GSA of that caliber I'd rather have the higher level of protection hands down.

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

I sure want to know the story behind it!! I have a feeling it was among an inheritance that someone took to a dealer and the dealer recognized it for what it was. Inquiring minds want to know...

• Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭

Thanks TD :*

Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 28, 2017 6:27PM

I totally agree. Those GSA holders are so easy to crack. Ask me how I know. :(

Edit to add, I have been told PCGS will not grade a GSA even with a minor crack in the case.

@CascadeChris said:

@TONEDDOLLARS said:

@CascadeChris said:

I know but with a GSA of that caliber I'd rather have the higher level of protection hands down.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That would be nice to see... what was the grade?? Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CascadeChris said:

@TONEDDOLLARS said:

@CascadeChris said:

The price for that coin will NOT be affected by the lack of PCGS grading. Others here can explain better than I the appeal of such original packaging. It's about as close to a one-off as you can get.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options

@ColonelJessup said:

@CascadeChris said:

@TONEDDOLLARS said:

@CascadeChris said:

The price for that coin will NOT be affected by the lack of PCGS grading. Others here can explain better than I the appeal of such original packaging. It's about as close to a one-off as you can get.

Agreed. I'm well aware of the significance. That's why I would rather have it in the PC mega slab rather than just ribbon graded.

The more you VAM..
  • Options

They dont fit in the GSA original Box is the main gripe of mine. There are few others also.

Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,601 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 29, 2017 3:47PM

I just got back my 79-cc from NGC and was wondering who to submit too earlier, but elected to use NGC for this one, based on advice from several in the know!

I also bet this thing just surfaced out of the blue from some large estate that has been of the market for decades. probably walked in to a shop or dealer with a bunch of others.

This 79-cc I bought was from a group of gsa that hadn't seen the light of day for 30 years. I paid them well, but will still come out really good because of the grade it obtained. I will note this, the previous dealer they took this coin too, here across town offered them 150.00 bucks for it if you can believe that.

• Options

@jdimmick said:
    I just got back my 79-cc from NGC and was wondering who to submit too earlier, but elected to use NGC for this one, based on advice from several in the know!

I also bet this thing just surfaced out of the blue from some large estate that has been of the market for decades. probably walked in to a shop or dealer with a bunch of others.

This 79-cc I bought was from a group of gsa that hadn't seen the light of day for 30 years. I paid them well, but will still come out really good because of the grade it obtained. I will note this, the previous dealer they took this coin too, here across town offered them 150.00 bucks for it if you can believe that.

So what did it grade

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,601 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS-64+

• Options
    edited July 29, 2017 6:27PM

@jdimmick said:
    MS-64+

Congrats!

I just don't understand dealers that would offer $150 for a coin like this.

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 93-CC is graded 63, the 89-CC 61DMPL, the 92-CC still unaccounted for. If the 93-CC was just graded recently, and if I wanted to see it, I'd go ask Selby Ungar at Monaco's table at the ANA show about it. He's most likely to either have it or know who does.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭✭✭

As long as coin PCGS, NGC, anacs, ICG my markup over bid same. Some may be BIN / make offer bc of lots room on cost.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options

Does ICG grade GSA's in the OGP? I don't think I've ever seen one. That might not be because they don't though, who would want to send one to them. But do they?

The more you VAM..
  • Options

@messydesk said:
    The 93-CC is graded 63, the 89-CC 61DMPL, the 92-CC still unaccounted for. If the 93-CC was just graded recently, and if I wanted to see it, I'd go ask Selby Ungar at Monaco's table at the ANA show about it. He's most likely to either have it or know who does.

The coin shows up in the pops a a 63+
    Congrats on the 64+ great grade

• Options
    ianrussellianrussell Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow - this is huge for GSAs.

Ian Russell
    Owner/Founder GreatCollections
    GreatCollections Coin Auctions - Certified Coin Auctions Every Week - Rare Coins & Coin Values
  • Options
    jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ianrussell said:
    Wow - this is huge for GSAs.

I know. I'm waiting for some kind of story to hit on Coin World or something. This has been one of those unicorn coins that a lot of us have been waiting for. There had been a lot of speculation that it and the '92-CC had been cracked out a long time ago and that we would never see them.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 31, 2017 4:41AM

@CascadeChris said:

@jdimmick said:
    MS-64+

Congrats!

While it's not "right", and I certainly don't condone it nor operate like that, I can understand it.
    Dealer offers 5k to non-collector/inheritor, greed factor kicks in and holder of coin thinks "If he offers me 5k it must be worth WAY more than that" and walks with the coin.
    I think it is that part of human nature as opposed to an inherently dishonest dealers.
    I may well be wrong and certainly some dealers are out to fleece, but not most I think.
    Again, lowballing like this is not something I do or think is ethical, but I do see a twisted logic behind it.

• Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is big news, curious if it surfaces at the ANA.

From the little I know, Monaco doesn't have it.

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options

@jdimmick said:

I can believe. Some of the GSA's I make offers on at shows the people are shocked at the high offer compared to some of the lowballs they get from others. I had a guy a couple shows ago who had been offered 75 bucks on the 1878-CC GSA's . Amazing.

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options

I heard from 2 dealers today this is a mechanical error or a population entry error, but they had been told NGC did not grade a 1893. Graded coin was a common date. So, so close yet so far.

• Options

@blu62vette said:
    I heard from 2 dealers today this is a mechanical error or a population entry error, but they had been told NGC did not grade a 1893. Graded coin was a common date. So, so close yet so far.

Ugh. You're kidding me. That sucks bigly!

The more you VAM..
  • Options

It is still in the Pop census. I always had to request and wait a month to get my GSA discovery coins posted in the Pop census. People on these boards are big golfing buddies with NGC President we should hear the facts soon! ;)

Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options

It is gone from the pop report.

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

ttt

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CascadeChris said:

@jdimmick said:
    MS-64+

Congrats!

Greed and lack of morals.

Many happy BST transactions
  • Options

I'll say it again-that is HUGE for a GSA!!! congrats!

• Options

@greatcollection said:

did you do any research or even read the thread?

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@greatcollection said:

did you do any research or even read the thread?

• Options

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file