Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

It was about what I thought.

Light. Even dealer to dealer activity was hit or miss. As usual, most biz done before the doors opened although set sales were not as in past years. Many seem cautious, waiting to see where the market goes.

Heavy activity at the grading booths though. Managed some early morning workouts to keep up for triathlon training too.

Maybe the pace will be stronger next year.

The Crisser

Comments

• ugaskidawgugaskidawg Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

You should have set up a booth, giving predictions on the cardboard market as you see it. Maybe next year.

• aconteaconte Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭

How was your meeting with KendallCat?

aconte

• KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was there last night from 7:45-9:30 - sat next to Andre Dawson and Bill Cartwright was two tables down. Was at BBCE today at 2pm and got to meet a bunch of great folks on the board - Kendall Cat - aka Keith Conrad as everyone knows me. Now where was Criss Criss and where is your name?

KC

• FirstBeardFirstBeard Posts: 459 ✭✭✭

In the Celebrity Softball game this year at the Allstar Game, Dawson hit a ball about 10 feet from going over the Marlins LF wall. So impressive. I can hit a hardball soft tossed 330 feet with a normal baseball bat. I couldn't even come close to hitting a high pitched softball with a softball bat that far. 63 years old. So badass. And Rickey Henderson looks like he could still play for a MLB squad. Cool seeing him and Tim Raines on the same field.

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 27, 2017 1:00PM

You mean the Crisser didn't show as planned to meet KC? Color me surprised..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

smells like single source report.

• ugaskidawgugaskidawg Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

BTW the PSA line is insane, it's almost like you're waiting for a ride a Disney World.

This is why we saw the specials that we did the last 4-5 months.

• SdubSdub Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

Great meeting everyone at BBCE. Always good to put a name with a face; or in Chrissers case, put an alt with a lie.

Collecting PSA 9's from 1970-1977. Raw 9's from 72-77. Raw 10's from '78-'83.
    Collecting Unopened from '72-'83; mostly BBCE certified boxes/cases/racks.
    Prefer to buy in bulk.
  • galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

i'd much rather meet Bill Cartwright

• lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭

I was at the bar and didn't see Crisser

• jmoran19jmoran19 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭

in the late 80's I literally ran my forehead into Cartwrights belly button at the ohare airpot

Current obsession, all things Topps 1969 - 1972

• FirstBeardFirstBeard Posts: 459 ✭✭✭

This is a classic post. Well done.

• jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OddRodz said:

@ugaskidawg said:
    You should have set up a booth, giving predictions on the cardboard market as you see it. Maybe next year.

Crisser did set up a booth but for the life of me I can't recall where it was. He wasn't there at the time either.

Here are some snaps I captured of various booths while strolling through the arena. I am 100% positive that one of them was The Crisser's booth. but I just can;t remember. If anyone still there could confirm the location for me please, that would be much appreciated. I saw items at the booth needed for the PC and need to get back there.

• jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

The first picture you posted is Andy Madec's booth. I now own one of the cards that was in that case.
    James

• aconteaconte Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭

-1 for CrissCriss not going the extra mile to meet Keith.
    -2 for using an alias.
    -3 for the bad National report.

CrissCriss looks like you struck out.

• 1957Braves1957Braves Posts: 318 ✭✭✭
    edited July 27, 2017 6:17PM

Maybe Crisser can give a closing speech on Sunday, Festivus style. During the Airing of Grievances, he can list all the ways we have disappointed him this year.

edited July 27, 2017 8:23PM

Didn't the same thing happen last year, too, though, when you were supposed to meet Shane?

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

"We tend to scoff at the opinions of people who are long gone. but we can't scoff at them personally, to their faces, and this is what annoys me"....Jack Handey

Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • robert67robert67 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 19, 2017 1:14PM

• WBWSFWBWSF Posts: 11

I was able to purchase 5 items I was missing from my White Sox want list. I still am missing 88 items. I really don't expect to find all 88 items. Still, I was hoping to acquire more than 5 items at the show. The items I'm looking for are basically all vintage items. Hopefully I can acquire these items sometime in the future.

• muffinsmuffins Posts: 469 ✭✭✭

i saw all sorts of big money being spread.

was at gibsons as well past two nights. and cartwright was in the room next to us at embassy. looking rough and not moving around too well.

buddy and i snagged an 81 topps basketball (non-fasc) box from steve for a late night rip...we pulled 3 bird/erv/johnsons cards and one showing on the back. and one of them has a great shot at the 9. and left pack one intact.

also picked up a few high grade hof rc w autos.

overall for early week attendance, show seemed comparable to '12 and '13.

i was blazed and did yell out crisser on wed/thurs night and didnt hear a peep!
    got a few smiles though and confused the ?!?! outta the wife!

• KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CrissCriss said:
    Keith, I told you to PM me. I'll meet anyone, anytime.

In fact, I'm going to do a Meet The Crisser thread soon.

I don't think I am that hard to find. Pretty much every person on the CU board I have met this week at them show and multiple times - super group of people and the reason why the hobby is fun. We all know each other by real names not aliases or alts... Very simple really if you want to be a part of the group and hang out. You obviously enjoy the boards and dialogue, but have never met any one of us/all of us on here at the National face to face or even my name is "Joe Smith aka Crisser" and I collect unopened 70's stuff. Really a good group to hang with if you choose to do so.

KC

@CrissCriss said:
    I don't have a lot of time to hang out. But glad to have a drink sometime.

Heard the weekend was brutal for many dealers. Bought into big cards at the peak and can't move them now.

KC said it right here.

It is not that difficult to network, even at a big event like the National. IMO, these events ARE NOT ABOUT THE CARDS...rather, they are about the PEOPLE and building/expanding strong FRIENDSHIPS and RELATIONSHIPS.

I was unable to attend the National this year due to work commitments; I hope everyone who did go had a great time! From the pics I saw on this board, the place was bursting at the seams and there was something for everyone at the event. I can't wait for my shot to visit next year and shake hands with the CU Clan!

• Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

It should be pretty easy to tell if high dollar cards were turning over or were just sitting in cases with price tags that were too high to entice buyers.

So were they moving or not?

BBCE on FB posted that this National was their best ever. I heard the ATM also ran out of money.

@grote15 said:
    BBCE on FB posted that this National was their best ever. I heard the ATM also ran out of money.

It seems pretty well established that some high end unopened product moved briskly at strong prices. So far I don't see any reports of higher dollar graded cards moving briskly.

Just curious what the verdict is.

• Time4aGansettTime4aGansett Posts: 382 ✭✭✭

Could it be nobody wants to admit the Crisser is right?

@Time4aGansett said:

fake news

• cardcountrycardcountry Posts: 569 ✭✭✭

@Dpeck100 said:

@grote15 said:

It seems pretty well established that some high end unopened product moved briskly at strong prices. So far I don't see any reports of higher dollar graded cards moving briskly.

Just curious what the verdict is.

IDK what people consider "higher dollar" cards, but between myself and the the other guys set up with me, we sold exclusively graded cards and sold many cards that were $1000+.

Jeff

Jeff Foy/Dave Foy
    Card Country
    Graded stars 1950's-1980
  • OddRodzOddRodz Posts: 645 ✭✭✭

I just want one frigging time to be able to open a walmart purchased tissue box and be able to pull ONE out..... and let the rest idle until needed. The freaking psychotic combo conglomeration of the top tissue pull including parts and pieces of the next 10 tissues always pisses me off BAD. Like screw that man.

This is Molly Hatchet's Bass player who very well attempted to puke upon me at the time. He hit the guys next to me though.

• eyeboneeyebone Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭

Hi Crisser. I have you pegged as red wine guy. Yes/No.

Eyebone

"I'm not saying I'm the best manager in the world, but I'm in the top one." Brian Clough

@Dpeck100 said:
    It should be pretty easy to tell if high dollar cards were turning over or were just sitting in cases with price tags that were too high to entice buyers.

>
    yes, i was privy and saw several $10k+ cards being sold on wed/thurs.

and at various tables.

edited August 1, 2017 5:44AM

@muffins said:

@Dpeck100 said:

>

and at various tables.

Not sure about high end RC sales, but BBCE reported record sales for unopened product.

yes, crisser was at gibsons all week....

washing dishes.

• jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭

Wonder how long this will be free entertainment?

Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
    edited August 1, 2017 4:27AM

@muffins said:

@Dpeck100 said:

>

and at various tables.

This post came from another forum and obviously isn't mine. I find it hard to believe that with the volatility in sale prices that many dealers didn't get caught up in the run up on some major cards and are sitting on serious losses. If your business is buying and selling trading cards and you get a wild shift in prices not everyone buys at the bottom. I just like to follow the market and keep up with what is going on. When I asked about higher dollar cards I was thinking 10k or more like you referenced.

My National Experience and Vintage Market recap
    I went to the National with one goal and that was getting back my 1955 Clemente PSA 7 RC. I did that on day 1 for me (saturday) and spent the rest of the show looking around at mostly vintage.

I was looking for my Bender and Pirate PC and found a lot of really nice cards and talked to some great dealers who shared some insights on the market right now.

1. The vintage RC boom of 2016 is killing some dealers in 2017. Many paid a lot for the inventory they have in 2016 and cannot move their cards. The guy I bought my Clemente off of lost over 1K on the card and I still paid over VCP by a good amount. Dealer after dealer had the same story about their inventory losing money. It proves to me that it was a manipulation and we are headed back to more normal levels for some cards.

2. Mantle Topps RC's were everywhere and nobody was really buying. Dealers were telling me that the 51 Bowman is becoming hotter and more desired by RC collectors.

3. Really high end 50's and 60's cards are not moving as well as they did last year.

4. Obscure or rarer prewar cards are becoming hotter as the RC's soften. These are interesting because grade doesn't matter as much as just owning a copy. I saw a Victory Chief Bender for the first time in my life at the show and it was so cool.

• rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭

@Time4aGansett said:

I always welcome discount prices but this is more about one poster's attempt to get members banned by trolling.