Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Need Peace Dollars-What should I do? Update

TunisTunis Posts: 430 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 13, 2017 7:18AM in U.S. Coin Forum

My father has given us $1000 to finish his collection of Peace dollars. The idea is to buy coins that will match what he already has given my daughter. $113.50 has already been spent on a 1923 MS65 in a PCGS old green holder. Should I pick up the rest, 1 by 1 on Ebay? Shows are kind of out of question. I would like to get the best "bang for his bucks" but not sure the best way to do it. I know that this set is not as well collected as before, especially in the grades I am looking for. Here is what he is still missing and a grade I think we can afford:
1923-D PCGS MS 63
1924-S PCGS MS 62
1927-S PCGS MS 62
1934 PCGS MS 63
1935-S PCGS MS 62

This might be better placed in the BST area but I wasn't sure.
Thanks in advance.

Successful buys on BST board from NotSure, Nankraut, Yorkshireman, Astrorat, Ikeigwin(2x), Bob13, Outhaul, coinbuf, dpvilla, jayPem, Sean1990, TwoKopeiki, bidask, Downtown1974, drddm, nederveit2

Comments

• Options
    ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 25, 2017 8:57PM

I would suggest sticking with 3 or 4 coins in Ms63 and maybe 1 or 2 in au-58 rather than 3 MS-62. Just my 3 cents

Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would consider Heritage (www.HA.com) or GreatCollections
    and buy piecemeal

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

It would be a good idea to place this on the BST.... I have had good results there....Good luck, Cheers, RickO

• Options
    djmdjm Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would suggest either EBay or the BST as you don't have to pay the buyers fee which is between 10 and 20% of the purchase price of the coin.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 26, 2017 5:53AM

I would pick them up off eBay and budget accordingly. GC would be another option but has a 10 pct buyers fee one needs to factor in.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would focus on a few at a time, checking all the venues periodically by setting up alerts or saved searches.

Eye ball the coins, don't just buy plastic by grade.

AU58 instead of MS61 or MS62 is a great idea - you'll get a far nicer coin for the $, but may even find them more expensive... also check w/ Dad to be sure he's OK with it.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

ebay has everything under the sun.

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CommemKing said:
    ebay has everything under the sun.

With the majority of it being low end or swilly looking.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ebay selection of Peace dollars (at least what I am looking for) are either swill or overpriced.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

@davewesen said:
    I would consider Heritage (www.HA.com) or GreatCollections
    and buy piecemeal

I agree with this. Sounds like a fun project that you have there, congrats.

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

Start with a price guide. Do the math (at the price guide level for reference only) to determine what are the highest grade you can get all the items for and stay within your budget. It is just a little algebra that you need to do,

MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    jonrunsjonruns Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not a Peace dollar guy...but I'd spend 60+% of the funds against the two tougher S dates: 1924 and 1927....trying to get some nice 63s for $300 each...then try to get the other three with the remaining funds...AU 55 to 58 if budget necessitates....

I think this was posted in the appropriate area....as it is more of a strategy question...than looking to purchase a group of coins...

I would try to pick them up one at a time...if you can't go to shows...maybe a dealer with a good return policy...or BST is a great idea...

• Jon
  • Options

Am trying to respond to a member's messaging. Not sure if my message is getting through. If you messaged me about coins you have for sale, please reach out to me again

Successful buys on BST board from NotSure, Nankraut, Yorkshireman, Astrorat, Ikeigwin(2x), Bob13, Outhaul, coinbuf, dpvilla, jayPem, Sean1990, TwoKopeiki, bidask, Downtown1974, drddm, nederveit2

• Options
    MercuryMercury Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭✭

When I put together my set, I had good luck with Heritage. Found some on Ebay but it was hit and miss.

Collecting Peace Dollars and Modern Crap.
  • Options

Thanks to a very helpful collector on the site, I was able to obtain the coins I needed to complete this task!!! Thanks to all that commented and offered advice.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file