Home U.S. Coin Forum

Comments

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just who are getting fooled by these?

Has PCGS ever addressed this Eddie dude?

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 24, 2017 6:07PM

Going through the store's completed sales and feedback shows that this is a fairly high volume seller, selling 39 coins yesterday, but at least only 2 of those yesterday were in PCGS slabs. Of note, they currently have 10,825 items for sale in Coins & Paper Money.

• Options
    georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭

Good to know about the hologram...

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think the guy is getting rich, but he does do volume.
    As for PCGS, we bring this stuff up all of the time here on the forum.

• Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

Although we are all pretty sure that the coins are being gassed in the holders, you can not assume that he process is destroying the hologram on and lettering on the reverse. Many times this is from stickers that are used by dealers, auction companies, and collectors alike. When you try to peel off the old sticker part or parts of the writing and hologram come off with the sticker. Usually it happens when the stickers are old and have been on the holder for a while. I have heard about it happening and seen it happen first hand.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those look ghastly, and phony as heck.

• Options
    georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭

It is just hard to fathom that PCGS apparently can do nothing about this ...(based upon the length of time this has been going on)

• Options

@morgandollar1878 said:
    Although we are all pretty sure that the coins are being gassed in the holders, you can not assume that he process is destroying the hologram on and lettering on the reverse. Many times this is from stickers that are used by dealers, auction companies, and collectors alike. When you try to peel off the old sticker part or parts of the writing and hologram come off with the sticker. Usually it happens when the stickers are old and have been on the holder for a while. I have heard about it happening and seen it happen first hand.

We on the forum have seen the holograms bubble up from gassing. It's not the normal damage one might see on a hologram sticker.

• Options
    PRECIOUSMENTALPRECIOUSMENTAL Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭

Also the usual cr*ppy pictures.

• Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭

@georgiacop50 said:
    It is just hard to fathom that PCGS apparently can do nothing about this ...(based upon the length of time this has been going on)

x100

• Options

@bolivarshagnasty said:

@morgandollar1878 said:

We on the forum have seen the holograms bubble up from gassing. It's not the normal damage one might see on a hologram sticker.

Ok, well all I guess that what I have seen with my own eyes and other first hand accounts was just a mirage. I am not saying that it was not damaged in the process of gassing. I am saying don't just assume that caused it because there are other ways that the logo and hologram can get damaged.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

I only wish that he would be prosecuted; however, I doubt the state would expend vast resources on what is a far from guaranteed outcome.

• Options

Of note, eBay lists 517 sold PCGS items and 792 active PCGS items.

• Options

@morgandollar1878 said:

@bolivarshagnasty said:

@morgandollar1878 said:

Ok, well all I guess that what I have seen with my own eyes and other first hand accounts was just a mirage. I am not saying that it was not damaged in the process of gassing. I am saying don't just assume that caused it because there are other ways that the logo and hologram can get damaged.

Link to last years thread where they notice a pattern of bubbled holograms, 2nd page I believe.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/970898/well-this-is-a-little-concerning/p2

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

What temperature do you think they bake them at?

Collector, occasional seller

• Options

vacuum and sulfur if I were guessing

• Options

@bolivarshagnasty Looks like two different types of logo damage to me. The two holders in this thread are older holders and the other is a newer holder that you refer to which is blatantly obvious to what you speak of.

Possible Sticker damage, no bubbles.

Possible sticker damage, no bubbles

Heat damage

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,537 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am certainly not an attorney, but is this not damaging the PCGS reputation?

bob:(

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,537 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder if his is submitting to PCGS.....if so then PCGS should be able to easily catch this arse.

bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

who is daft enough to buy such wretched looking coins?

• Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

The more he ruins, the rarer the unruined coins become.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options

I think people are getting more leery about toned coins in general with what is natural and what is artificial toning. There are lots of toned coins coming out of the woodwork, and there are some that are cooking and gassing coins to take advantage of others and line their own pockets.

• Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

Notice the ring at 10:00 on the reverse. The same anomaly is on both. I wonder if that's his point of entry spot for a gas filled needle

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've seen that sort of hologram damage before its caused by too much garlic in the butter

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Everyone talks about prosecution... Well, that really is not possible. An owner of a coin (slabbed or not) is free to do as he/she wishes....just as an owner of a car is free to modify it .... as far as disclosure, well, that is an ethical issue, and again, not criminal. Is it wrong? Sure.. especially from our perspective... is it damaging to the hobby? Yes... Are people buying these coins? Definitely yes, because of the tarnish craze. Once again, his coin, he can do whatever he wants.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would have to agree with RickO.

all that aside and claiming to know nothing about the seller, gassing coins or the "bubble effect" on the Hologram let me say this: I have actively collected toned Proof Jefferson Nickels for quite a while, nothing about the OP's two linked coins looks over the top to me. I have purchased coins at shows, clubs, shops/in OGP, stapled 2x2's, folders, albums and TPG holders. Nickels tone in unexpected ways, especially Proof Nickels.

the top two pictures are of mostly the same coins and the bottom two are different coins taken fro two different OGP sets about 8-10 years apart.

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 25, 2017 9:39AM

I'm ahgassed. :s

Who's getting fooled? Nearly 7,000 completed transactions can't all have gotten NT coins.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options

@keets said:
    I would have to agree with RickO.

all that aside and claiming to know nothing about the seller, gassing coins or the "bubble effect" on the Hologram let me say this: I have actively collected toned Proof Jefferson Nickels for quite a while, nothing about the OP's two linked coins looks over the top to me. I have purchased coins at shows, clubs, shops/in OGP, stapled 2x2's, folders, albums and TPG holders. Nickels tone in unexpected ways, especially Proof Nickels.

Do you believe that PCGS would slab these two PF69 with spots on them? We've already proven in the past that this Seller buys them white and sells them toned.

• Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    I have actively collected toned Proof Jefferson Nickels for quite a while, nothing about the OP's two linked coins looks over the top to me.

Same here. Especially the first one. I would buy it as MA but the second one would make me think thrice

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CascadeChris

Hope you get the new position. :wink:

• Options

@nk1nk said:
    PCGS could really help themselves by providing pictures of all the coins they grade, if NGC can do it I don't see why PCGS can't.

PCGS requires Secure service (which comes with photos) for many foreign coins so they could do the same with US coins. It's a business decision.

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,810 ✭✭✭✭✭

This guy has single handedly messed up so many coins he should be in jail. Seriously I look at this dude like a criminal. Not to mention what he doing now with the gas I am super surprised pcgs hasn't stepped in yet. This has got to stop. My hardline opinion.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    edited July 25, 2017 9:06PM

I think he's ruining the market for toned PCGS coins for short term gain. The coins come up so often that they dominate the listings for some PCGS toned coins with sponsored listings too. If a collector is new to these, it's easy to be fooled. And then what about when these are resold?

• Options
    ArizonaRareCoinsArizonaRareCoins Posts: 679 ✭✭✭✭

His "gassing" of coins has improved.........that is NOT a good thing. Here are some of his old offensive PCGS gasses:

• Options
    edited July 26, 2017 12:29AM

@ArizonaRareCoins said:
    His "gassing" of coins has improved.........that is NOT a good thing. Here are some of his old offensive PCGS gasses:

His coin photography has improved as well. The one above (PCGS 81852309) finally sold with his improved photos shown below:

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ArizonaRareCoins said:

Yes! Thank you for saving those images!

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you believe that PCGS would slab these two PF69 with spots on them? We've already proven in the past that this Seller buys them white and sells them toned.

I'm not trying to backtrack on my comment, but I never looked at the grade or anything else, don't know about the seller or "proof" you mentioned. I simply followed the links and looked at the coins. my post was about the tone.

I will say this, PCGS tends to not grade toned modern coins 69, at least not when I submit them.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said: "I will say this, PCGS tends to not grade toned modern coins 69, at least not when I submit them.'

This is not directed specifically to you but I have a suggestion. Pretty toning usually will be a plus on a coin yet it can hide defects. Examine you coins extremely closely. The grading services generally will not grade a modern coin with more than 4-5X if they use magnification at all on the coin. Therefore, you should prescreen you coins at 10X in a dark room with a 100W bulb. If you see anything detracting, it is not a true 70. To get a 69, only one tiny defect should be visible. Often the tiny mint-made struck thru's (often tolerated on BU examples) are mistaken for defects on toned coins.

• Options
    edited July 26, 2017 7:04PM

@keets said:

I'm not trying to backtrack on my comment, but I never looked at the grade or anything else, don't know about the seller or "proof" you mentioned. I simply followed the links and looked at the coins. my post was about the tone.

I will say this, PCGS tends to not grade toned modern coins 69, at least not when I submit them.

Keets, The proof I mention is exactly what ArizonaRareCoins posted above. Those are before and after pictures with the same cert #. As you say, the proof 69 grade is seldom handed out when it's a toned coin. I own one, but don't remember seeing another.

PF69

• Options
    uscoinguyuscoinguy Posts: 150 ✭✭✭

I just noticed these jerks bought one my one of my naturally toned Morgans and stole my photos for their listing. Per eBay this is copyright infringement. I will be filing a claim ASAP.

Copyright Infringements
    A copyright is the legal protection given to authors of creative works, such as movies, music, software, photographs, and books, both published and unpublished. Copyright protection prevents others from using the work without permission.
    Image and Text
    Using someone else's image or description without authorization violates copyright laws. If you use text or an image that was created by someone else be sure that you have permission to use the text or image.
    Examples
    Images or text copied from websites or internet searches
    Stock photos and text used without permission
    Images and text copied from listings of other eBay members
    Scans or text copied from catalogs or advertisements

Always trying to learn more
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2017 10:50AM

There's no discrimination in holder. In addition to covering all major TPGs, here is one in OGP.

• Options
    jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

@uscoinguy said:
    I just noticed these jerks bought one my one of my naturally toned Morgans and stole my photos for their listing. Per eBay this is copyright infringement. I will be filing a claim ASAP.

Copyright Infringements
    A copyright is the legal protection given to authors of creative works, such as movies, music, software, photographs, and books, both published and unpublished. Copyright protection prevents others from using the work without permission.
    Image and Text
    Using someone else's image or description without authorization violates copyright laws. If you use text or an image that was created by someone else be sure that you have permission to use the text or image.
    Examples
    Images or text copied from websites or internet searches
    Stock photos and text used without permission
    Images and text copied from listings of other eBay members
    Scans or text copied from catalogs or advertisements

Welcome to the club. They did precisely the same thing to me. They bought a coin from me then within minutes had it listed on their store using my images. I raised a big stink with eBay and with messages to them. In the end they filed a SNAD against me and waited until the very last day to ship the coin back. I then waited until the very last day to issue an e-check from PayPal to refund them. I have also added them to my blocked buyers list. I was surprised that they did not leave negative feedback as I was fully prepared to have that removed.

Here are the communications between William of edynamicmarketing and I.

_6/8/17

Hello,

I am writing you because of a couple of concerns regarding this coin I sold you.

My first concern is you are using my images in your auction. Those images are my intellectual property. I charge people for my photography service. You have not asked for my permission to use those images. Please remove them immediately.

My second concern is you listed this coin for sale in your eBay store less than 13 minutes after purchasing it from me. You did not have physical possession of the coin until June 7th. The original sale occurred on June 2nd 16:49:41 UTC and you subsequently listed it for sale using my copyrighted images on June 2nd 17:02:31 UTC. I have no problem with you reselling a coin I sold to you. I do have an issue when you do it without physical possession.

At this time I consider our transaction as final. I will not accept returns as you have listed this coin for sale.

If you have any questions please feel free to contact me.

Justin

Their phone number: 407-797-7072

6/12/17

Hello,

This is the second time you have listed this item using my images. I contacted you regarding this on Thursday June 8th about removing my images from your listing. I have contacted eBay regarding the copyright infringement. At this point I require you to immediately remove my images from your listing. Failure to do so can result in further actions.

Justin Lee

6/12/17

Justin,

I have no problem changing the photographs but It was to my belief that if I bought the coin, I am subject to the pictures of that coin through the purchase. Though you don't state that I can't in your auctions nor do you state I can not use them for resell. There was no copyright agreement or notation given, nor nothing signed upon when purchasing the coins so you have no legal right to inform anybody about me utilizing the pictures, in doing so you are violating slander laws.

slander:
    oral defamation, in which someone tells one or more persons an untruth about another, which untruth will harm the reputation of the person defamed.

Failure to cease further communication about this non issue, you will be subject to harassment. Also your photographs do not contain a copyright symbol which would give you appropriate protection under copyright laws.

Cordially,

Will

6/12/17

Will,

You obviously don't understand copyright laws. The images I created to sell the coin are and will alway's remain my intellectual property. Your purchasing of the coin does not in anyway entitle you to the use of the images without my permission, whether it's stated in the auction listing or not. My watermark appearing on the first two images should have made this matter obvious.

Intellectual property is deemed copyrighted the moment it is created. They are not required to have a copyright symbol appearing on them in anyway to be protected by copyright laws. Please get your facts correct before you attempt to defend your indefensible position. Furthermore this is not a "non issue" as you claim, it is very much an issue and one in which eBay is standing by my side.

There are others on eBay using images that I have created and they have either paid for my services to image their coin or they asked me for permission in advance to use them. My asking you to stop using my intellectual property in no way constitutes harassment nor slander. FYI, slander is as you stated oral or spoken, none of which has occurred. Libel is the published word of defamation of a false account. I am not violating any law at all, but rather enforcing my civil rights as a creator of copyrighted digital media.

Justin

6/12

Justin,

Regardless, how else can we get the value out of this that we paid since your picture and the luster and tone on the picture is not accurate to your photograph, because the photograph is much more lustrous then the coin?

6/12

Will,

You are getting your value. You bought the coin for less than the PCGS published prices for the grade. You obviously must be happy enough with the coin as you have marked it up from the $59.00 I sold it to you, to $175.00. The coin was accurately photographed as it appeared in hand under my desk lamp that I use to review all coins.

Justin_

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had one like this once, straight from the mint proof cellophane

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@davewesen said:
    I had one like this once, straight from the mint proof cellophane

I have seen many proof nickels from the 60s in OGP that look like this coin.

• Options
    edited September 12, 2017 2:21AM

edynamicmarketing now has signed images. Somehow when I ran across 66 of these as thumbnails, I knew it had to be EDM even though I had never seen these types of images before. I wonder if he's getting a following if he's branding his images. He appears to do fairly high sales volume if his feedback indicates true sales. Note that these specific pieces do not appear to be slabbed.

• Options
    mt_mslamt_msla Posts: 815 ✭✭✭✭

One thing for sure: edynamicmarketing has made quite a name for itself.

Insert witicism here. [ xxx ]

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,810 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lock him the hell up :s

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file