Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Is this an Edward the Confessor Penny?

There seem to be many varieties of Edward the Confessor pennies, and unlike other medieval kings the design work varies greatly.

Is this a genuine Edward the Confessor penny? It was said to be an S-1180, but it does not look anything like that variety.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Comments

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 24, 2017 2:24PM

It looks more like a S-1179, like this one:

coinarchives.com/w/lotviewer.php?LotID=2763124&AucID=2707&Lot=683&Val=e5adbd30d0abb7f6b10d76fb3f0b73cf

The legends on your penny look like:

Obv: ED RER DREI

Rev: STIRCOL ON EOFER (moneyer Stircol at York mint)

I am just learning this on the fly, so I might have something wrong, but it seems relatively straightforward.

The Wildwinds page shows 2 examples of S-1179 and does not show an example of S-1180:
    wildwinds.com/coins/brit/edward_the_confessor/t.html

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you! I was concerned because I couldn't find any pieces that closely resembled it in the book. It does match a line drawing picture I have in another book.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    NapNap Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see nothing obvious of concern to condemn it's authenticity.

There are several main types of Edward the Confessor coins and this is the "pointed helmet" type. Designs typically changed about every 2 years during this time, and since Edward ruled for over 20 years, there are a good number of types.

I have my reference books packed away so I can't give you the catalog numbers but S.1179 sounds right.