Home U.S. Coin Forum

1914 buffalo nickel on eBay described as a gem matte proof ???

BUFFNIXXBUFFNIXX Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is a 1914 buffalo nickel on eBay right now described as "1914 Nickel Gem Matte Proof Pretty Rainbow Toning Less Than 100 This Nice #1112” .....
.....and here is the description of the coin in this auction

Virtually mark-free! This was purchased as a Matte Proof, late die state, from a 1979 Bowers & Ruddy Auction, evident by the extreme lack of bag marks normally found even on MS66/67 examples. During that time, the mint did not discard the dies until the full accounting of required strikes were minted. There are many Proofs that are not fully struck. For evidence, refer to many PCGS and NGC Proof Liberty Nickels, as just one example. You'll find that many of them do not have all the kernels in the corn on the reverse, fully struck up, whereas some "early die strikes" of business strike or ordinary-BU examples will have corn kernels fully struck. The mint was no where near perfect, especially over a hundred years ago.
1914 Nickel Gem Matte Proof Pretty Rainbow Toning Less Than 100 This Nice #1112

I have had a vigorous discussion with the seller of the coin as to this coin’s status as a proof. He is adamant that it is. The above description of the coin was added to the auction based upon our discussions. Am I missing something here. I tried to get him to change his description to “gem brilliant uncirculated” but I cannot convince him it is a business strike. Is there anyone out there who would argue that this is a proof? Also notice on the reverse that the coin has damage on the rim at 5 o’clock so at best this coin would be graded “uncirculated details, reverse rim damage” if sent into PCGS ir NGC. I know that is a far cry from gem proof but, it is what it is.
still a very pretty coin though.

Collector of Buffalo Nickels and other 20th century United States Coinage
a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"

Comments

• cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭✭✭

AT all the way.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • goldengolden Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ugly.

• OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hehe Pictures are worth a thousand words

Steve

Promote the Hobby
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,905 ✭✭✭✭✭

GACK!!!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow!! I've got a bunch of Matte Proof's I'll sell him... Let me just place my order with GSC and I'll have them drop shipped.

• skier07skier07 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭✭✭

And Mr Buffalo has acne

• BUFFNIXXBUFFNIXX Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭✭✭

I find it hard to believe that this came from a 1979 Bowers & Ruddy Auction, as this was a big reputable auction house at the time. Sometimes though people become mesmerized by coins with attractive/terrible toning (your choice) and tend to overlook other factors/flaws in the coin. In this case, color aside...
    1) Proofs do not come with weak strikes in the central details of the obverse like this
    2) rims are sharp on proofs, both inner and outer, as not on this coin.
    3) proofs do not come with this type of a slick surface, this is indicative of a business strike.
    4) there is no such think as a late die state proof. At least none that I have ever seen.
    5) I think the owner may well have bought this from the aforementioned auction and may just not be familiar with
    proof characteritics. I feel sorry for him as none of the info I gave him seemed to resonate. And we corresponded
    over a number of emails to the point where he updated his auction with the information above.

a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"

I just checked and the seller ended the auction because “of an error in the listing”. Maybe he was finally educated by me and others along the way. Will wait to see if this is listed as a business strike now.

a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely not a proof..... glad that the auction was pulled....Not a coin I would buy even as a business strike. Cheers, RickO

• TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

AT, ugly, and not a proof

Frank

BHNC #203

• OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is no pretty on that coin and it is definitely not a proof.

OINK

• shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it was bought in 1979 and taken out of the holder, that's a lot of years for someone to have switched it or messed with it or both. I wouldn't buy that under any circumstances.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • YQQYQQ Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

maybe a little dipping would improve the appearance?

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 24, 2017 11:36AM

"You'll find that many of them do not have all the kernels in the corn on the reverse, fully struck up, whereas some "early die strikes" of business strike or ordinary-BU examples will have corn kernels fully struck. The mint was no where near perfect, especially over a hundred years ago."

What are these 'kernels' of corn that are being discussed in the description?

Never mind, they were talking about Proof Liberty Nickels as a deflection statement that all proof coins are created equal.

Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

No way that this is a proof.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

It never was a proof. The Mint got pretty good at proof coinage by 1914, and 1914 nickels are some of the best made of the proofs.

Non Sequitur..............your facts are uncoordinated.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

The original B&R 1914 Matte Proof is long gone.....and this one now in its place. What a turdette.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold

I wonder exactly how this coin sustained the damage which is located at 5 o’clock on the reverse rim??

a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"

One final comment. I really like the color. Hope someday it is regraded and offered in another auction at a reasonable price. I would be interested.

a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have seen a very few poorly struck matte proofs but none that bad-this one, slabbed by PCGS is about the worst I've seen. The one you show is much worse-there's no way that's a proof.

• BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

What does that coin you posted above grade out at?

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon

I believe it's a PR63.

• ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 26, 2017 4:41PM

@koynekwest said:
    I believe it's a PR63.

Verify the cert # and get back to us. :'(:'(

I did this with another post on 1916 PR 1c.
    Only the foolish choose to remain ignorant.
    Click on CoinFacts or, better, the Heritage Archive. Ray Charles could figure it out after that.

@CaptHenway or @insider2 might give you the two distinctive die markers found on all Type II proofs.
    I hope they don't.
    One year at Summer Seminar, on a challenge after a deliberately tricky 1915 proof with a die crack across the Buffalo, three YN's in Intermediate Grading figured it out overnight using the HA Archive. One was already in 10th Grade. :*

Forget the 1915 anomaly. All type II's 1913-1917 can be "decoded".
    The reverses of those 1926 beauties just jumped out at us. Incontrovertible B)B);)

Hints enough?

The pros should skip this opportunity to show off. ;)

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell

coloneljessup: you posted the following right above.....

The reverses of those 1926 beauties just jumped out at us. Incontrovertible

I think you mean 1927 instead of 1926??

a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"

The 1914 MP pictured is from an image in my book. Unfortunately I didn't save a picture of the slab. I will go into Heritage where I THINK it sold and look for it.

Here it is-

edited July 26, 2017 8:18PM

@ColonelJessup said:

@koynekwest said:
    I believe it's a PR63.

Verify the cert # and get back to us. :'(:'(

I did this with another post on 1916 PR 1c.
    Only the foolish choose to remain ignorant.
    Click on CoinFacts or, better, the Heritage Archive. Ray Charles could figure it out after that.

@CaptHenway or @insider2 might give you the two distinctive die markers found on all Type II proofs.
    I hope they don't.
    One year at Summer Seminar, on a challenge after a deliberately tricky 1915 proof with a die crack across the Buffalo, three YN's in Intermediate Grading figured it out overnight using the HA Archive. One was already in 10th Grade. :*

Forget the 1915 anomaly. All type II's 1913-1917 can be "decoded".
    The reverses of those 1926 beauties just jumped out at us. Incontrovertible B)B);)

Hints enough?

The pros should skip this opportunity to show off. ;)

I'll just sit over in the corner and juggle defaced CC dies.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
    edited July 26, 2017 9:09PM

@BUFFNIXX said:

Yes, 1927. (I wish I could remember what CRS stands for). I was part of the group at that very lovely Harmer-Rooke sale where seven different dealers figured it out independently. And remarkably, nobody else in a roomful of 40+ people did. Cool large lots. Went cheap B)

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
    edited July 26, 2017 10:44PM

@koynekwest said:
    Here it is-

Look at the ANACS coin next to it on the HA Archives page. If the PCGS PR63 is a proof, the diagnostics are not sufficiently visible. Its fabric does win first prize in the race to last-place. Your point is as well-made as the coin isn't. On this particular coin, despite particularly miserable imagery, clearly traceable to the Lady MacBeth Collection.

But the best images here don't illustrate well enough what there is to be seen, as do the 1916 1c images. Unless possibly blown up more.

What the wunderkinder found was this, and if someone has a blown-up image with adequate detail for posting, please do. Also easy to see in-hand with a good 5X.

Both on the reverse.
    1) At the top of the back of the "D" in UNITED. Triangular die chip (above the surface) pointing directly backwards
    2) On the flat inside portion of the rim, from 7:30 to 8:30. A perfectly formed perfectly straight incuse "scratch" that someone else can explain in the morning.

Identify the template once and it's obvious.

Somehow the hub that was used to sink Type Two Proof reverses received a straight scratch on the raised rim. As it hubbed working Proof dies, the Proof dies had a raised line on the rim of each die. These raised lines left depressed lines on the coins.

The Colonel says it is from approximately 7:30 to 8:30 on the rim. My recollection of it is just a few minutes earlier, clockwise, but I do not have one to measure, and the exact time does not matter anyways. It is there and easily seen with the naked eye on a naked coin.

Re-envisioning, maybe as early as 6:50. I can handle a little bit of truth. On the other hand, he wears glasses, I don't. And it's two hours earlier in Colorado. Yawn ;)

• clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have only ever owned digital watches. This?

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.

The slabbed MP 1914 is just about the poorest example of a MP I've seen. I don't think I'd pay any more than MS money for it.

Well it has been relisted as NOT a matte proof in eBay with an asking price of $295. Description has been changed to the
    following.....
    ==================================================================================================== virtually mark-free! This was purchased as a Matte Proof, late die state, from a 1979 Bowers & Ruddy Auction, evident by the extreme lack of bag marks normally found even on MS66/67 examples. However, somebody has devoted much of their time over that assessment so we're simply calling it "Gem BU" as the grading services have often been wrong about these, even grading poorly struck examples as "Proof 66" or better. During that time, the mint did not discard the dies until the full accounting of required strikes were minted. There are many Proofs that are not fully struck. For evidence, refer to many PCGS and NGC Proof Liberty Nickels, as just one example. You'll find that many of them do not have all the kernels in the corn on the reverse, fully struck up, whereas some "early die strikes" of business strike or ordinary-BU examples will have corn kernels fully struck. The mint was no where near perfect, especially over a hundred years ago.

1914 Nickel Gem BU Pretty Rainbow Lustrous Toning, Probaby Less Than 100 This Nice #111

a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"

The only thing holding this coin back now is the damage at 5 o’clock on the reverse. After rereading the description of the coin the seller still seems to think this is a proof though.

a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

No way B & R auctioned that as a Matte Proof

Frank

BHNC #203

"somebody has devoted much of their time over that assessment so we're simply calling it "Gem BU" as the grading services have often been wrong about these.........”
    The seller was referring to me in the above part of the description. But really in the end I did not succeed in convincing him there was no way this coin was a proof. At least it is correctly described now.....

a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"

@Treashunt said:
    No way B & R auctioned that as a Matte Proof

My thought exactly. How could a major auction house make the error of calling this coin a proof when it really has none of the characteristics of a proof. I think the seller is mesmerized by the color along with the fact that for all we know it may have been, but not very likely, sold as a proof in 1979 by B & R.

a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"

@koynekwest said:
    I have seen a very few poorly struck matte proofs but none that bad-this one, slabbed by PCGS is about the worst I've seen. The one you show is much worse-there's no way that's a proof.

THE FOLLOWING COIN SHOULD HAVE BEEN CALLED A “MUTT (DOG) POOOF” NOT A MATTE PROOF!
    (I wonder if this coin might not be a candidate for “conservation”?)

Got it f rom the Heritage sold items database.

a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,958 ✭✭✭✭✭

down right fugly. pass, jmo

That one is pretty bad too, Tom.

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 6,020 ✭✭✭✭✭

@koynekwest said:
    I believe it's a PR63.

what that coin is lacking in strike, it makes up for with fingerprint

• RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just to be clear – if a working hub is damaged, the defect will be transferred to all working dies made from that hub, although there will be slight individual differences caused by variations in die manufacture.

All proof dies of the Buffalo series were made by the same process as circulation dies up to the point of final hardening and tempering. At this step, proof dies were sandblasted prior to final hardening.

Visibility of any hub defect will depend on fidelity of transfer from working die to planchet. With proofs being made on a medal press at high pressure, they are more likely to exhibit details not commonly seen on circulation pieces.

• DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

That description is complete BS!!

BS = business strike.

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • CuKevinCuKevin Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭

@ColonelJessup said:

@BUFFNIXX said:

Yes, 1927. (I wish I could remember what CRS stands for). I was part of the group at that very lovely Harmer-Rooke sale where seven different dealers figured it out independently. And remarkably, nobody else in a roomful of 40+ people did. Cool large lots. Went cheap B)

I do remember the C is Chromium, but if anyone can remember the rest, please chime in.

Zircon Cases - Protect Your Vintage Slabs www.ZirconCases.com
    Choice Numismatics www.ChoiceCoin.com

CN eBay

All of my collection is in a safe deposit box!
    edited July 30, 2017 3:13PM

@CuKevin said:

@ColonelJessup said:

@BUFFNIXX said:

I do remember the C is Chromium, but if anyone can remember the rest, please chime in.

:#:#:#:#:#:#:# CRS = Can't Remember Sh!t

• Who ever has that coin should not open it. That would be the start of the Zombie Apocalypse. Walking DEAD....

Coin is not being listed on eBay now. Must be taking a breather.

a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file