Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Fake PSA 10 Alcindor (Jabbar) Rookie Listed on Ebay

JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is an obvious PSA 10 Alcindor Rookie for Sale. POP 1 card suddenly becomes an attic find. Crazy that anyone would fall for this. Sold is 2016 for over 500 K and suddenly it is for sale on Ebay. The back of the card does not even look close to the original PSA 10 that sold in 2016. You can see an obvious crack in the upper left corner of the holder.

ebay.com/itm/1969-Topps-Lew-Alcindor-Kareem-Abdul-Jabbar-Rookie-card-RC-25-PSA-10/201993708393?_trksid=p2481888.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908105057%26meid%3D4bedb07dd20b4d3fb014d4b4605ff5c9%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D15%26sd%3D201993708393&_trkparms=pageci%253Ae378a962-6e89-11e7-9134-74dbd18087bc%257Cparentrq%253A683d075015d0abc1d5c55125fffe246e%257Ciid%253A1

Comments

• Options
    LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think this response from the seller is enough on its own:

"I have been asked if this is an authentic card? I cannot say that I would know this. The card appears to be a real card inside of a plastic case with a red label at the top. Do your due diligence if you are interested."

Kevin

Kevin

• Options

Here is the original label versus the fake!
    Original (Real)

Fake

• Options
    SpinFadeSplash23SpinFadeSplash23 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭

But it's such a good deal!

Joe

IG: goatcollectibles23

The biggest lesson I've learned in this hobby, and in life, is that if you have a strong conviction, you owe it to yourself to see it through. Don't sell yourself, or your investments, short. Unless the facts change. Then sell it all.
  • Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭

Major stones or a total idiot to think this would go unnoticed.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 21, 2017 9:16PM

Very disturbing. Does the bar code even scan for the card?

Notice how he distances himself from the card by saying it was an attic find and that he knows nothing about cards yet he correctly uses all the hobby terms and abbreviations in the auction title including RC for rookie card.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 21, 2017 9:43PM

What I find funny is that they sold a 1957 Bill Russell PSA 8 rookie for $4500 on July 17th. PWCC sold one with the same certification number the day before for $23K.

James

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=Bill Russell 1957 psa 8&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2045573.m1684

• Options

@jfkheat said:
    What I find funny is that they sold a 1957 Bill Russell PSA 8 rookie for $4500 on July 17th. PWCC sold one with the same certification number the day before for $23K.

James

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=Bill Russell 1957 psa 8&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2045573.m1684

I guess the PSA hologram on front of the label was too light on the front of the PWCC card, as he forgot to incorporate that into his fake flip, Geez!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

@grote15 said:
    Very disturbing. Does the bar code even scan for the card?

Even if it does they are easy to fake.

The two lables are so completely different it's not even funny

I guess the PSA hologram on front of the label was too light on the front of the PWCC card, as he forgot to incorporate that into his fake flip, Geez!

Good eye here!

Kevin

Kevin

• Options
    ElvisPElvisP Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭

Don't most people store their HOF PSA 10 Rookie cards in the attic?

• Options
    mikelowell25mikelowell25 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭

@ElvisP said:
    Don't most people store their HOF PSA 10 Rookie cards in the attic?

I keep mine at the bottom of my swimming pool. That way if it rains they don't get wet.

• Options
    Tecmo BoilTecmo Boil Posts: 259 ✭✭✭

Awful.

Then is it a legitimately graded reprint card, with a faked flip inserted? Otherwise how would he get a card into the slab like that? I don't see any crack lines around the card itself.

• Options
    tbonewillytbonewilly Posts: 424 ✭✭✭

@Tecmo Boil said:
    Awful.

Then is it a legitimately graded reprint card, with a faked flip inserted? Otherwise how would he get a card into the slab like that? I don't see any crack lines around the card itself.

Look at the top of the holder, quite frosty, that looks to be where he broke in, maybe those tallboy holders are easier??...Geez, that label is terrible!......

Ken - Volunteered to work in Florida Keys, now freezing in Ohio
    Work in progress - Unopened Racks/Cello/Wax with star power for Baseball, Football and Basketball
    Collecting unopened 80's boxes and graded packs
    I may be hoarding too much 80's junk wax but I like it!
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

PSA should aggressively prosecute these crooks. I suspect they follow the advise of their Legal Department but personally I would like them to take action.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

What kind of holder is that?? Does not have the PSA letters on the plastic??

• Options
    swish54swish54 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭✭

Top left corner of the case is broken.

• Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

According to 'item specifics' the card is an "8".

• Options

Have you guys reported the listing to eBay?
    James

• Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭

Top left of holder has been partially chewed off by gremlins

• Options

I reported it immediately to Ebay.

@jfkheat said:
    Have you guys reported the listing to eBay?
    James

• Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

Someone should inform Joe. May be they have a lead on the person doing this...

• Options
    steel75steel75 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭✭

@jfkheat said:

James

Wow. That flip is not even close and left side of the case is so frosted.

1970's Steelers, Vintage Indians
  • Options
    tonylagstonylags Posts: 568 ✭✭✭

isn't this a crime? internet fraud? especially if it's the same cert # as PWCC the day before.

I have to much S**t; so if you working on sets or are a player/team collector, send me your want list, with conditions desired. Keep in mind I have a another job so please allow me a few days to respond.

• Options
    49ersGuy49ersGuy Posts: 382 ✭✭

Given the amount it should be considered a felony.

• Options
    SdubSdub Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

For the hypocrit lawyers at e-bay, they are complicit in enabling felonies on the internet by not taking this down after it was disclosed to them.

Collecting PSA 9's from 1970-1977. Raw 9's from 72-77. Raw 10's from '78-'83.
    Collecting Unopened from '72-'83; mostly BBCE certified boxes/cases/racks.
    Prefer to buy in bulk.
  • Options
    georgebailey2georgebailey2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭

Based on prior feedback, this may be either a hijacked account or a naive 3rd party seller.

• Options

I see he added an addendum to the Alcindor listing in which he repeats on several occasions that he is not a card collector.

Going up to 5K already.

• Options

WOW!..Look at the Beckett Gold Label, heck, it looks like 2 pieces of paper!...Geez, I'm thinking in today's technologies, that you could do better than that label!..And yea, I'm pretty sure BCCG labels never come that way, but geez, that label is butt ugly!.

Work in progress - Unopened Racks/Cello/Wax with star power for Baseball, Football and Basketball
  • Options

@49ersGuy said:

I'm assuming this is out and out fraud; So how can ebay let this auction stay up? Wouldn't they be assisting in a crime; couldn't they be held accountable? Any lawyers out there...............

I have to much S**t; so if you working on sets or are a player/team collector, send me your want list, with conditions desired. Keep in mind I have a another job so please allow me a few days to respond.

• Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭

@tonylags said:

@49ersGuy said:

I'm assuming this is out and out fraud; So how can ebay let this auction stay up? Wouldn't they be assisting in a crime; couldn't they be held accountable? Any lawyers out there...............

Unfortunately it is robotic somewhat. I am part of concierge. I will point it out and see if it comes down faster than reporting.

• Options

Everything that the seller had listed is now gone. Maybe eBay did something right this time.
    James

• Options

I am glad to see that Ebay moved fairly quickly after I spoke with them. I reported the listing first via the "report this item" and figured it would not get any traction but figured give it a try before calling. The first person I spoke with put me in touch with someone in the fraud department and she was very appreciative of the info. that was provided to her. Based on my conversation with here and replies she sent me via email I would have been shocked if this seller was not removed. They got it right this time. I provided her with a link to this discussion along with other images proving beyond a doubt that this was fraud.

• Options
    dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭

HI Five for JBrules B)

Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • Options

I received an email asking me to join the concierge program.

@djr said:
    How does one gain entry into the concierge program or U.S. domiciled customer liaison / rep?

• Options
    edited July 24, 2017 9:59AM

Looks like they are BACK!

They are covering the top of the label under a new account now. This is more than likely the same card /same person selling it/ etc. If it is coincidence and totally random that we have two scammers with same card, 1 PSA 10 and 1 BCCG 10 we have a serious issue about to influx the market. Now they call it VGEX to see if it slides through when people open it and see a GEM MINT REPRINT-- lol.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-Topps-LEW-ALCINDOR-Rookie-RC-Milwaukee-25-VGEX-/282583578872?hash=item41cb4b38f8:g:ytwAAOSw5gxZdL-9

• Options

@secretstash said:
    Looks like they are BACK!

They are covering the top of the label under a new account now. This is more than likely the same card /same person selling it/ etc. If it is coincidence and totally random that we have two scammers with same card, 1 PSA 10 and 1 BCCG 10 we have a serious issue about to influx the market. Now they call it VGEX to see if it slides through when people open it and see a GEM MINT REPRINT-- lol.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-Topps-LEW-ALCINDOR-Rookie-RC-Milwaukee-25-VGEX-/282583578872?hash=item41cb4b38f8:g:ytwAAOSw5gxZdL-9

Same card, it's got the PSA logo on the bottom of the case...And to top it off, selling the same 2 guitars again!...
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ernie-Ball-Music-Man-StingRay-4-String-Bass-Guitar-Black-/282583584696?epid=1700119611&hash=item41cb4b4fb8:g:khoAAOSwReBZdMIN
    Love the "Sweet bass, nice sound, great to play. I believe it is a 2004. Sorry if you bid before. Due to technical difficulties I had to relist" hmmmm

• Options

lol technical difficulties.

This is hilarious he is listing it as VGEX. He thinks the false inflation of the PSA 10 is why he got pulled. He may be blind to how severe this is but he knows what he is doing.

• Options

I asked him if the card comes with the blue painter's tape. We'll see what he says.

• Options

Definitely same seller. Wonder if the guitars are fake, as well.

• Options

I see he/she has one of bid of 800 on the guitar. I emailed my contact that removed his first listing and hoping they close this one down as well. My guess is he or she will just open up another account if they get removed again.

@grote15 said:
    Definitely same seller. Wonder if the guitars are fake, as well.

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 24, 2017 10:45AM

Now you absolutely know this is fake if he originally had it up as a Gem Mint PSA 10 that had bids over $1500 before getting pulled but is now willing to take a 1/10th of that. If this was real,someone "that knows nothing about cards" but knows how to research them on ebay would spend the $100-130 to have PSA replace the holder and make sure its 100% authentic. Someone above mentions a PSA 10 selling for $4500 just weeks ago and there is no way anyone with common sense would go from a profit of at least a couple grand to whatever this sells for now if this card was real.

• Options

Here is a reply I received from this scammer when I asked for a little history of the card:

New message from: handymanoncommand-8 (0)
    I have to go back and read my listing because i dont think I listed the grade on there. I came across this and a bunch of other cards by way of work. My company is task with clearing out and renovating hone where the tenants have been asked to vacate or there was a foreclosure. The particular house these came from i believe the previous owner went to jail for running illegal "message" parlors. Im not 100% certian but that is another story. The home looked like someone left one day and just never came back. It was kinda creepy. Anyway, this is just one of the cards that came out of that place. I have had the card for about 2 months. It is graded but besides looking up the very number and verif8ing that the card matched the label i have not done any other research. Since I dont know much about cards other than the people who collect them are mich more serious than I could have imagined (not a bad thing)I have covered up the label. The grade on the label is a 10. I cant say what makes a card a 10 or a5. That being the case I dont know if this card matched this label and i dont want to cause an uproar.

• Options

Here was the question I sent:

Q: Does the card come with the blue painter's tape? Really matches Alcindor's jersey nicely!

He just replied:

A: It does and at no extra charge. Thank you

• Options

Sometimes I just like reading the responses from these clowns:

_"I have to go back and read my listing because i dont think I listed the grade on there. I came across this and a bunch of other cards by way of work. My company is task with clearing out and renovating hone where the tenants have been asked to vacate or there was a foreclosure. The particular house these came from i believe the previous owner went to jail for running illegal "message" parlors. Im not 100% certian but that is another story. The home looked like someone left one day and just never came back. It was kinda creepy. Anyway, this is just one of the cards that came out of that place. I have had the card for about 2 months. It is graded but besides looking up the very number and verif8ing that the card matched the label i have not done any other research. Since I dont know much about cards other than the people who collect them are mich more serious than I could have imagined (not a bad thing)I have covered up the label. The grade on the label is a 10. I cant say what makes a card a 10 or a5. That being the case I dont know if this card matched this label and i dont want to cause an uproar."
    _
    A real shame the previous owner was engaging in message parloring.

• Options
    edited July 24, 2017 12:40PM

The blue tape across the flip is absolutely comical. At this point, why not just crack the card out and list it raw if you don't want anyone to see the grade/flip? LOL..

• Options
    edited July 24, 2017 2:04PM

@JBrules said:
    Here is a reply I received from this scammer when I asked for a little history of the card:

New message from: handymanoncommand-8 (0)
    I have to go back and read my listing because i dont think I listed the grade on there. I came across this and a bunch of other cards by way of work. My company is task with clearing out and renovating hone where the tenants have been asked to vacate or there was a foreclosure. The particular house these came from i believe the previous owner went to jail for running illegal "message" parlors. Im not 100% certian but that is another story. The home looked like someone left one day and just never came back. It was kinda creepy. Anyway, this is just one of the cards that came out of that place. I have had the card for about 2 months. It is graded but besides looking up the very number and verif8ing that the card matched the label i have not done any other research. Since I dont know much about cards other than the people who collect them are mich more serious than I could have imagined (not a bad thing)I have covered up the label. The grade on the label is a 10. I cant say what makes a card a 10 or a5. That being the case I dont know if this card matched this label and i dont want to cause an uproar.

LOL so glad you posted this. This guy is on his 3rd name now. He tried to sell a fake PSA 10 1986 Fleer Jordan other day too. Got same BS stories about finding cards in a wall from old tenants and old cash and bonds and other BS he claimed to find. He showed me a pic of some of the cards laid out too. See attached. I thought about reporting him to FBI then once I saw some of the cards do not exist in any pop report, but he promised me he was unknowingly just the founder of them and a good person and he would destroy the cards after I proved several he showed were fake for various reasons. This guy has tons of them apparently. Now that all of the dots connect from this thread I figured I'd share other details. He didn't even show me Lew Alcindor and other RCs just jordan and lebron as shown by the pic below this message.

Here is his main account before he got so much backlash he made 2 or 3 fake ones.

http://www.ebay.com/usr/monfutsu
    View his completed auctions and the same background color in the jordan rookie is present for the lew alcindor.

I also have his name, email address and phone number. Not sure if I should share that or if it is real, but he gave me it probably to buy some of the cards. Mods feel free to message me for this if it can be of use to PSA/etc.

• Options

The Alcindor auction is no longer running but the guitars are. It looks like eBay ended the auction because it doesn't show that there were any bids. If the seller had stopped it the bid history would show cancelled bids.
    James

• Options

@jfkheat said:
    The Alcindor auction is no longer running but the guitars are. It looks like eBay ended the auction because it doesn't show that there were any bids. If the seller had stopped it the bid history would show cancelled bids.
    James

What's odd in this case is that typically you cannot see the ended listing if ebay poofs it, as the first link to the first listing in this thread illustrates. In this case, it shows the seller ended the listing early but you cannot see any canceled bids, either.

• Options

@grote15 said:

@jfkheat said:
    James

What's odd in this case is that typically you cannot see the ended listing if ebay poofs it, as the first link to the first listing in this thread illustrates. In this case, it shows the seller ended the listing early but you cannot see any canceled bids, either.

I was bugging him quite a bit about turning him in for fraud. Since I have his contact info I believe he just ended it. He probably is hoping we don't catch his next scam username doing it again, but we know he will. He has lots of fakes to dump...

• Options

on his latest name; I always wondered what -8 means? I've seen that on other people too.