Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What's the point of the eBay return time limit, if...

LRCTomLRCTom Posts: 857 ✭✭✭

What's the point of the eBay 30-day return limit, if the buyer files a case with PayPal?

A buyer bought a raw coin from me on eBay. He received it, said it was nice, and that he was sending it to PCGS for grading. 42 days later, he contacted me and said he was returning the coin... the PCGS verdict did not please him. He filed a case..not with eBay, but with PayPal, who held up the funds pending their review.

PayPal allows 120 days. When responding to the case, I referred to eBay's 30 day limit. PayPal ruled in the buyer's favor, without an explanation. Obviously I'm accepting the return...what else can I do, when PayPal is holding the funds?

LRC Numismatics eBay listings:
http://stores.ebay.com/lrcnumismatics

Comments

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

This kind of stuff is one of many reasons I have no desire to sell on ebay.

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

PP cares more about them than it does about you.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

I stopped using eBay/PayPal more than three years ago when their terms became unacceptable. Read their terms and decide if you want to continue with them. In the end, it is just business.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 21, 2017 7:22AM

@asheland said:
    This kind of stuff is one of many reasons I have no desire to sell on ebay.

Let's review..... You hear one bad case out of 1000 transactions ( good transaction hardly ever get reported) and make your judgment on that.

So you choose Not to sell on the biggest coin venue ever with the most buyers.

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BAJJERFAN said:

PayPal offer a fantastic service bar none

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have not had a bad case like that but w the 30 day thing it's possible.

Change your return back to 14 days so block some little &?$ who might pull that. I know on bullion 14 days acceptable and since they reduced sellers discount little incentive do 30 day anyhow.

A return priveledge of 14 days or less standard in coin business. I don't accept returns after return period but never had anyone attempt one anyway.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2017 4:31PM

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

PayPal offer a fantastic service bar none

For the most part yes, but it's not without its warts. That kind of behavior on the part of the buyer would get you drawn and quartered by many here. Just industrial strength tacky and anyone at PP with more than cheese curds for a brain should not have allowed that.

• Options

My return privilege IS stated as 14 days. But that really means nothing, since eBay allows a return claim up to 30 days after the buyer receives the package.

• Options
    CommemDudeCommemDude Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just had the exact opposite result with Paypal...
    I sold a coin privately to a buyer who tried for a PLUS and a BIG score , then over a month later filed a complaint with Paypal who said buyers remorse was not a reason to demand a refund, and ruled in my favor. Could ebay have influenced the Paypal decision in the OP's case?

Dr Mikey
    Commems and Early Type
  • Options
    GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you don't like it, stop using paypal, and accept other forms of payment (I believe this is now allowed). Easy.

To resolve your issue, you can always try calling Paypal to sway one of their reps. If the first one doesn't agree with you, call again, and again. If you are legitimately in the right, eventually a rep will agree with you, from my experience.

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is the buyer going to return the coin now in a PCGS slab?

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

So what was the PCGS result? Unless we see the actual auction and how the coin was sold, and then the PCGS result, it is impossible to know who is right here.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

It has to be the very same coin, a lot of raw coin sellers seal the plastic, which may be a legalistic fine point. He should have paid expedited service if he wanted to fall within the rules. You can report him to ebay for violating their TOS. If he was looking for a deal, fine. He needed to play by all the rules.

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

He liked the coin and is now letting the plastic get in the way. Unfortunate.
    What was the coin?

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,478 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:
    I stopped using eBay/PayPal more than three years ago when their terms became unacceptable. Read their terms and decide if you want to continue with them. In the end, it is just business.

I dropped off the eBay thing in Jan 2009 ostensibly because for quite a bit of time I was living in Donets'k Ukraine, but then their terms were a put off when I came back to the USA in 2010.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    desslokdesslok Posts: 310 ✭✭✭
    edited July 21, 2017 1:35PM

You seem to be leaving out a substantial part of the story, perhaps deliberately. What was the PCGS verdict that triggered the return? Was the coin deemed not genuine, or genuine but damaged (cleaned, etc.), or authentic and problem-free, but much lower grade than was advertised?

If he purchased the coin raw, sent it in for grading, and is now returning it, do you get it back in the PCGS holder?

Edited to add: was the coin body-bagged by PCGS?
    Many sellers offer lifetime return policy for reasons of authenticity.

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

All comes down to the numbers. If you are doing large volume with decent margins you can eat the occasional chargeback. With the doubling and tripling of Ebay/paypal fees it is not really feasible to do business on Ebay if your are selling and properly representing quality rare coins.

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

Little statment in terns about being in orginial holder sure helps in cases like this.

• Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

What's the point of the eBay 30-day return limit, if the buyer files a case with PayPal?

Seller is pointing out the discrepancy in terms between Ebay + PP.

Answer: It doesn't matter. U R Screwed. Hope that helps.

• Options

No bodybag. Of course is was genuine: I like others guarantee authenticity unconditionally. The point was not to start a discussion of whose grade was right, but, as epcjimi1 and several others were able to discern, that the eBay 30-day return limit means nothing when the buyer pays using PayPal.

• Options

So what is PP's time limit to dispute transactions?

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 22, 2017 7:17AM

I think we are screwed in that situation as it sounds subject to their whim. When your dealing with some autobot or corporate minion your toast. It sounds like op got a very unlucky draw with that customer.

Yes I agree what is the point of a return period if somebody is empowered to step in like that. Playing in ebays stadium your subject to their fees, rules.

I don't know how big ticket a coin that is - I primarily prefer to sell big ticket material at shows. Most my eBay sales material $300 or less where a 30 pct margin or more possible to at least give me a decent profit after their fees and shipping costs. A show sale I would never have that problem - I consider my show sales final - they would need to get an attorney if dispute.

I have a statement in my eBay return policy that if coin removed from holder returns are void. Hopefully it will deter the crack out / uprgrade / crossover people. I am not in coin business finance their game or pay for their mistakes.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options

@Cougar1978 said:
    I think we are screwed in that situation. It sounds like op got a very unlucky draw with that customer.

Yes I agree what is the point of a return period if somebody is empowered to step in like that. Playing in ebays stadium your subject to their fees, rules.

I don't know how big ticket a coin that is - I primarily prefer to sell big ticket material at shows. Most my eBay sales material $300 or less where a 30 pct margin or more possible to at least give me a decent profit after their fees and shipping costs. A show sale I would never have that problem - I consider my show sales final - they would need to get an attorney if dispute.

I have a statement in my eBay return policy that if coin removed from holder returns are void. Hopefully it will deter the crack out / uprgrade / crossover people. I am not in coin business finance their game or pay for their mistakes.

In the end, how is what the buyer did thru PP any different than if he'd filed a chargeback thru his CC company? I'd retry with PP and ask someone there how anyone with a brain or conscience could find in favor of that buyer.

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BAJJERFAN said:

Same as your banks cc. This charge back most likely was initiated by the buyers cc that was used in the eBay transaction & PayPal refused to fight it for unknown reasons. I'm not going to speculate as to the reason, but I'm sure that PCGS not assigning a grade, had a lot to do with it.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

@OPA said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

Same as your banks cc. This charge back most likely was initiated by the buyers cc that was used in the eBay transaction & PayPal refused to fight it for unknown reasons. I'm not going to speculate as to the reason, but I'm sure that PCGS not assigning a grade, had a lot to do with it.

Incorrect. It is 180 days on PayPal.

• Options
    mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cost of doing business.

I am coming up on 20 years on ebay, and sell 5 - 10 items a day.

1st, the problem had nothing to do with ebay, it is paypal, so what is the point you are making?

2nd, the paypal terms and conditions to use their service are clearly laid out, and you HAVE to choose to use them on ebay. So if you agreed to the 120 day term on paypal, why are you complaining about it.

So, where's the Beef?

• Options
    edited July 22, 2017 8:01AM

What’s not covered with PayPal Purchase Protection

1. Real estate
    2. Motorized vehicles
    3. Custom-made goods that aren’t received
    4. Industrial machinery
    5. Prepaid cards
    6. Items that violate our policies
    7. Anything bought in person (not over the internet)
    8. Send Money transactions to friends or family

9. Disputes filed more than 180 days after the purchase for item not received and significantly not as described claims

1. Unauthorized transaction claims reported more than 60 days after the transaction date of the transaction
    2. Items that were described accurately by the seller
  • Options

@Wabbit2313 said:

@OPA said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

PayPal is governed by the same rule as the banks are: 120 days (unless it's fraud)

https://chargebacks911.com/everything-need-know-chargeback-rules/

• Options
    edited July 22, 2017 10:25AM

@OPA said:

@Wabbit2313 said:

@OPA said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

PayPal is governed by the same rule as the banks are: 120 days (unless it's fraud)

https://chargebacks911.com/everything-need-know-chargeback-rules/

I posted the terms right above. All you have to do is read it. I even highlighted it for those who can't seem to read. This is a dispute, which is allowed for 180 days.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 22, 2017 10:28AM

180 days is correct per paypal's terms and conditions which you agree to upon using their service.

Effective Date: November 18, 2014

Dispute Filing Window

We’re increasing the time for buyers to file a merchandise dispute (Item Not Received and Significantly Not as Described) from 45 days to 180 days. All references in the User Agreement to “Opening a Dispute within 45 days” have been updated to reflect “Opening a Dispute within 180 days.” The Sections these changes appear include the Introduction, 3.15, 13.2 and 13.5.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

It applies only for the 2 quoted reasons. All other reason, except for fraud. are still 120 days.

• Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

@OPA said:
    It applies only for the 2 quoted reasons. All other reason, except for fraud. are still 120 days.

Good lord.

Provide a service / venue to sell stuff, then apply excessive percentages to the final sale price and then, tell the customer the item can be returned up to 120 -160 days depending on circumstances, ebay / paypal gone crazy.

Yes, I know Paypal and ebay have split, TYVM.

I've bought / sold stuff on ebay since 2001. Back then, you got kinda screwed, now you just get f*****.

• Options

@OPA said:

You can try and spin it anyway you want and you will still be wrong. You have 180 days to file a dispute on any eBay auction or anything else you bought anywhere, if you used PayPal. You may not win, but you can file it and PayPal will hold the sellers money until a decision is made. You seem to be hung up on charge-backs, which is not at all what is being discussed here.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file