Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Did anyone here win the triple 1956 proof set that sold on Ebay back in May?

ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 21, 2017 6:51AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I'm curious if anyone here won the Ebay auction that closed back in May for three 1956 Proof Sets in a single holder?

I'd picked up on the auction and placed a bid I thought was relatively nuclear, but I got literally blown out of the water. What was so special about these 3 sets you ask? It had looked to me as if all 3 Franklin half dollars were solid Type I cameos. The closing auction price treated them as all 67 CAM or better..my bid of a little over $1,000 was based upon all at 66 CAM. That auction was about as nuclear as I'd ever seen an auction go.

For posterity, here are the auction photos:

Comments

• Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭✭✭

In my experience, a lot of 1956 Type 1 halves have cameo reverses, but the obverses are a bit weak. So usually it is the obverse that keeps the coin out of a CAM or DCAM holder. Just from the pic, it looks like the first half would CAM, the other two, who knows?

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    Peace_dollar88Peace_dollar88 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow good looking coins! Brought good money.

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

Has anyone else noticed that type 1 1956 Proof Franklins sometimes go for close to full price and sometimes even above when the seller does not mention it in the title or listing (I'm referring to auctions)?
    There have been 3-4 times that I have seen an unidentified type 1, and every time it was sniped for basically full retail.

• Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭

What I'm not impressed with is the layout to photograph these coins. I hope that is blotter paper and not a hard counter top.

Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder if the seller was shocked?

ebay.com/itm/292110994752?_trksid=p2471758.m4703

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't even see a CAM in their future. In the actual auction images, there is a lot of shine and not much frost on the obverse.

• Options
    KISHU1KISHU1 Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭

I was also watching the auction and was out at $300
    It looked like only the first Franklin had a shot at being a cameo

Good luck to the new owner

Frank D.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree--first coin shot cam; definite no on the other two.

• Options
    MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

$2,900. Wow! That surprised me!

Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is September 5-7, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bid is $50 per set.

Guess it sometimes pays to have lousy pictures.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don, if you were wondering whether the sets were purchased by a member here and what the grades may have been, look at it like this: gamblers ALWAYS are willing to brag about how much they win but rarely mention the losses. viewed in that context it is clear to me that none of the coins graded high if a member was the winner, we'd have known by now.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Al makes a good point....At that price, if there were 'winners' in there, and a forum member had them, we would see the results by now. As the commentary in my poker games go - 'Deal' say the losers. :D I Cannot say for sure if any of those would CAM... I lean to the negative. If so, we should see them up for sale again shortly.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭

My guess is that seller knew what he was doing and that the coins were less than Pr66

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

All three half dollars dollars are Type 1. From the photos it appears that all three half dollars have frosted devices on both sides of the coin. All three of the half dollars have hazey/impaired fields that appear nicely mirrored underneath. If the haze can be removed with a bath it may result in three half dollars that would possible warrant a CAM designation. Numeric grade can not be determined from photos, however there is nothing which shows the presence of anything that would indicate a low grade 63 or less.

The three dimes also look very nice. They also appear to have two sided frost and mirrored fields.

A very high bid price for raw coins, however with the return privilege the high bidder would have little risk. The seller was probably very shocked at the winning bid.

Would like to know the rest of the story.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file