2»

Comments

• Options
    cccoinscccoins Posts: 287 ✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@cccoins said:

@Zoins said:

@cccoins said:
    Here is a question for the group. The K-1g variety shows up in both white metal, and white metal gilt

Here's the white metal specimen that was in the same submission as the TrueViews above.

'1850' $10 Baldwin Restrike K-1g White Metal - PCGS MS65 POP 0/1/0

https://www.pcgs.com/cert/36749080

I believe that this one is the same that David McCarthy showed above. The sequence of PCGS cert numbers shown came from Kagin’s Ford territorial pattern sale. I bought them from Russ Augustin at the end of last year. I will post more details tonight.

That does look like the same one based on the obverse toning at 4 o'clock near the rim.

Congrats on picking these up and it's great to know you were able to pick them up from Russell / AU Capital Management. Nice provenance:

• John J. Ford Jr.
    • Don Kagin
    • Russ Augustin

If this entire set is from Ford, they should be properly attributed.

I said Ford, but meant Bass, as in the bass pattern sale.

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

neat stuff :+1:

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LanceNewmanOCC said:
    neat stuff :+1:

Definitely. These are amazing coins with great history and variety!

• Options
    edited December 16, 2022 8:53PM

Here's a set of the later strikes with engraving done by Ron Landis and slabbing by PCGS.

The pewter die trial version is pretty rare and the label is off a bit as the pewter has the original 1850 date, and isn't a 1850/7 overdate.

Photos courtesy of Old West Gold.

• Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    Here's a set of the later strikes with engraving done by Ron Landis and slabbing by PCGS.

The pewter die trial version is pretty rare and the label is off a bit as the pewter has the original 1850 date, and isn't a 1850/7 overdate.

I remember when these came out.

The original is my third favorite US coin, after the 1861 CSA half dollar and 1792 Washington Getz pattern half in silver.

I find these restrikes too expensive, though just like the CSA half dollar restrikes. Concurrently, it shows how high of a collector preference both of these coins have.

• Options
    edited December 17, 2022 2:57PM

@WCC said:

@Zoins said:

The original is my third favorite US coin, after the 1861 CSA half dollar and 1792 Washington Getz pattern half in silver.

I find these restrikes too expensive, though just like the CSA half dollar restrikes. Concurrently, it shows how high of a collector preference both of these coins have.

I agree this is a beautiful design. The rarity of the original has an interesting story behind it too.

Do you remember how the pewter ones were offered? They seem pretty rare!

• Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@WCC said:

@Zoins said:

I agree this is a beautiful design. The rarity of the original has an interesting story behind it too.

Actually, I only specifically remember the gold version. To my recollection, came out the same time as the $50 Kellogg restrike.

• Options
    edited December 17, 2022 8:41PM

@WCC said:

@Zoins said:

@WCC said:

@Zoins said:

Actually, I only specifically remember the gold version. To my recollection, came out the same time as the $50 Kellogg restrike.

Here's the brochure page from Adam J. Crum, VP of Monaco Rare Coins, which seems to be part of Finest Known now.

• Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 17, 2022 9:02PM

This is a 2002 version……..I bought from Ron Landis. He used one of the finest available to create his. He also made one for himself. I then crossed it to pcgs. I have his letter somewhere and need to look once I’m settled in our new home.

• Options
    edited December 17, 2022 9:17PM

@coinsarefun said:
    This is a 2002 version……..I bought from Ron Landis. He used one of the finest available to create his. He also made one for himself. I then crossed it to pcgs. I have his letter somewhere and need to look once I’m settled in our new home.

Very cool Stef!

Here's my pewter specimen:

• Options

@Regulated said:
    I suspect that the dies were made originally to strike the spoons that feature this design, although in the absence of any written evidence, we're all guessing. These are on my desk today, which amused me when I saw the thread:

It's a pretty good guess as there's matching die edge damage in "BA" and "WIN" of "BALDWIN" on both the gold strikes and die.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file