Home Metal Detecting
Options

Last few hunts, seated quarter, sterling cufflink, few other keepers

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭
edited July 20, 2017 7:24PM in Metal Detecting

Condensing the last three hunts into one post. The highlight is an 1854 seated quarter, also got a cool dragon cufflink, merc, three wartime nickels, neat lead axe, couple flat buttons. May have also gotten at least a 1909-S Lincoln. Need to verify the S and check for vdb but don't want to clean it! Afraid of what could happen.

Comments

• Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭✭

I've never found a Seated coin and would be happy even with a worn one like that. I wonder how long Seated coins stayed in circulation. My grandfather claimed that he pulled some half dimes from circulation during the Depression.

Definitely looks like an S on that cent. I wouldn't do anything but soak that coin in olive oil or mineral oil. It looks fragile enough that any rubbing might remove the date and/or mintmark. I've dug more than a few dateless wheat cents.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice finds.... that cuff link is cool.... I would hold the cent under hot, running water for a while...no rubbing though.... then rinse in alcohol..... check the results... if more needed, go with the olive oil.. it is a long process, but it could be worth it. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pcgs69 said:
    Condensing the last three hunts into one post. The highlight is an 1854 seated quarter, also got a cool dragon cufflink, merc, three wartime nickels, neat lead axe, couple flat buttons. May have also gotten at least a 1909-S Lincoln. Need to verify the S and check for vdb but don't want to clean it! Afraid of what could happen.

Clean the reverse, Clean the reverse, Clean the reverse, Clean the reverse, Clean the reverse, Clean the reverse, Clean the reverse, Clean the reverse, Clean the reverse, Clean the reverse, Clean the reverse, Clean the reverse, Clean the reverse, Clean the reverse, Clean the reverse,!

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    PurfrockPurfrock Posts: 545 ✭✭✭

Very nice finds! Hope you find VDB on that cent!

EAC, ANA Member
  • Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

Neat finds! I need to get out more often.

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

clean that reverse!
    Lets see the VDB!
    Good luck

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

That axe is for honing toothpicks.

bob;)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Of course, doesn't everyone have a toothpick honing tool??? :D:D Cheers, RickO