Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1st Moon Landing July 20,1969 ,any moon coins or coins costing moon money to show

bestdaybestday Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭✭

Today is 48th Anniv of 1st Man on Moon .. any coins with moon ..or those that cost Moon money?

Comments

• Options
    CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am curious....I have seen multiple references in various media to this being the 48th anniversary of the Moonwalk. Why is it getting such recognition this year, rather than waiting for the 50th anniversary? I do not recall seeing much attention to the 47th anniversary.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 20, 2017 1:01PM

Obverse: GREEN CHEESE PENNY / Cow jumping over moon
    Reverse: $ MOON MONEY $ / NASA Apollo moon lander on moon
    Bronze, 20mm, 4.11gm

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭

My wife thinks that just about any coin I buy is moon money

• Options
    JazzmanJABJazzmanJAB Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭✭

• Options

@CaptHenway said:
    I am curious....I have seen multiple references in various media to this being the 48th anniversary of the Moonwalk. Why is it getting such recognition this year, rather than waiting for the 50th anniversary? I do not recall seeing much attention to the 47th anniversary.

With primitive computers guiding mission ...an accomplishment hard to duplicate

• Options

@WillieBoyd2 said:
    Obverse: GREEN CHEESE PENNY / Cow jumping over moon
    Reverse: $ MOON MONEY $ / NASA Apollo moon lander on moon
    Bronze, 20mm, 4.11gm

:)

Nice ! B)B)B)B)B)

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always thought Alice Kramden would be the first person on the Moon. :)

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 20, 2017 7:52PM

I do believe we have a member here that owns a coin that was flown to the moon...or at least into space on a mission.

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 20, 2017 8:44PM

Sorry, no coins flown to the Moon. I guess we'll just have to suffer with an American flag flown to the Moon on Apollo 11.

BTW, there was a major space auction today at Sotheby's (in which I did not bid, due to putting on a new roof on the house). There was an old bag there (lot 102) that went for $1,812,500. Of more interest to me, given that I own the Apollo 12 Flight Plan, is that the Apollo 13 flight plan (lot 140) went for $275,000. Here's a list of prices realized:

sothebys.com/en/auctions/2017/space-exploration-n09759.html#&page=all&sort=lotSortNum-asc&viewMode=list&lot=1&scroll=1625

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have one of these, commemorating the 50th anniversary of the Soviet Luna landing in 1959 and the 40th anniversary of the first manned landing in 1969. The lighter of the two is the "light" side of the moon and the darker side the "dark" side of the moon. The tiny rock embedded in the coin is an actual piece of the Moon.

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think I was in error about the Luna-I believe it was the first spacecraft to photograph the "dark" side of the Moon, not land on the Moon..

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Truly a great achievement and worth memorializing. Sadly, we are losing the space pioneers to old age. While I have no interest in owning a coin that flew to the moon, I understand the attraction for other collectors. It is a piece of an historical event. I certainly hope the 50th anniversary gets a lot more recognition. I also hope the space program is re-energized after the 8 year imposed hiatus. It is a program of immense value to humanity. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    EagleguyEagleguy Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would love to own one of the gold Sacagawea dollars that flew in space. Not that I could afford one if it were put up for sale...

• Options
    carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭✭✭

This tiny piece is in a 1 1/2 x 1 1/2

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,856 ✭✭✭✭✭

No moon coins for me, but they are what keep me passionate and striving for what lies ahead and beyond. Who doesn't like them ? Raise your hand.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,856 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pocketpiececommems said:
    My wife thinks that just about any coin I buy is moon money

My gf accepted my proposal. The fact that she would not let me borrow her credit card made me see she was right. I would have bought a boatload of silver and gold on these dips. Or another ten or fifteen shares shares of NFLX, for the grandkids... since she likes to watch it.
    Moon money .... only in my dreams.

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,376 ✭✭✭✭✭

GrandAm :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file