Home U.S. Coin Forum

Wheat pennies from today's box.

Just started collecting recently Nothing really special just wanted to share. Was also curious the average anyone else is getting from a box?

Comments

• TurboSnailTurboSnail Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭

Normally got 1- 2 wheaties every two rolls.

• BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've put thirty dollars (face value) in nice brown wheaties through the coinstar on the last two trips to the grocery (last five days). Maybe 100 dateless buffalos too. Many more to be sent off too. There is a big revulsion of copper cents now, people have given up on the exercise in weight-lifting.

• Ahhh ic yeah I'm just trying to fill my book. Your bank doesn't have a place to dump coins?

edited July 17, 2017 9:20PM

The extra distance to the bank even outweighs coinstar's heavy charges, and there is rarely a genuine need to go to the bank (think direct deposit) - I do have to go to the grocery about twice a week. Also, coinstar doesn't look at me funny like the bank tellers do.

• cecropiamothcecropiamoth Posts: 968 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I was doing a lot of roll searching (last heavily in 2013), a normal $25 box would be on the order of only 6-15 wheats per box. Strange too, my area (Wisconsin) had very high copper percentages. @TurboSnail - where are you finding 50-100 wheats per box? That is a great rate on finding wheaties!! @BillDugan1959 - that is a nice thing you are doing for the roll searchers, especially with the dateless Buffalos. Even though I know those are barely valued over face, those were always fun to find, especially since they never circulated in my lifetime.

Jeff

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TurboSnail said:
    Normally got 1- 2 wheaties every two rolls.

That is a good percentage.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I get 1-2 wheaties in change about every two weeks.. I keep them in my 'wheat jug'....I guess that averages out to one a week.... sometimes I pick them out of the 'take a cent, leave a cent' tray. I found a 1916 in the coinstar reject bin last week. Cheers, RickO

• ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭✭✭

Take a close look at that 1917, it looks to me like there's a possibility that it's the doubled die variety.

• I'll take a better pic when I get the chance

• I'll take a better pic when I get the chance

• Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillDugan1959 said:
    I've put thirty dollars (face value) in nice brown wheaties through the coinstar on the last two trips to the grocery (last five days). Maybe 100 dateless buffalos too. Many more to be sent off too. There is a big revulsion of copper cents now, people have given up on the exercise in weight-lifting.

Am I reading this correctly? You dumped 3000 wheat cents into the Coinstar machine?

edited July 18, 2017 4:52PM

Yep. Have another $40 face to go. Coins 1940 to 1958. No good market here. Got space issues. Tired of waiting for pie in the sky. Not gonna ship 'em out for two or three cents each. I got better stuff than that for running by the few dealers that I do know who are buying and pay good.

Edit: friggin' spellchecker

• TurboSnailTurboSnail Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cecropiamoth said:
    When I was doing a lot of roll searching (last heavily in 2013), a normal $25 box would be on the order of only 6-15 wheats per box. Strange too, my area (Wisconsin) had very high copper percentages. @TurboSnail - where are you finding 50-100 wheats per box? That is a great rate on finding wheaties!! @BillDugan1959 - that is a nice thing you are doing for the roll searchers, especially with the dateless Buffalos. Even though I know those are barely valued over face, those were always fun to find, especially since they never circulated in my lifetime.

Jeff

I guess I used the wrong phrase of "1- 2 wheaties every two rolls". Average from the bank where I got my boxes for personal use and hobby was 25-50 except for a few 2016P boxes I got in this early spring.

If I remember correctly, Chase had the highest rate of finding brand new box of pennies when I used to exchange thousands dollars worth of coins every few days for thee retail stores by time square.

As for now, I am working in Long Island and decided to get rid of pennies for the liquor store business. So my data may be off by a point or two.

• DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭✭

Are those dateless Buffalos even after Nic-a-Date? I used to have fun trying to bring back dates that way.......

In almost five decades of doing coins, I have never owned or used that stuff (nickel date restorer). When I was about 10 years old, my cousin did have some but it probably only cost forty or fifty cents or something like that. He lived in a large town with a hobby shop and I lived out in the countryside.

I did look to see if any if the dateless nickels were type 1. Maybe one out of 100 was a Philly coin.

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used to find 0.5% wheats, that's 1 per 4 rolls, that's 12.5 per box, not many but I also found these :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file