Home Q & A Forum
Options

On the hunt for a USB Microscope any suggestions

Rich49Rich49 Posts: 189 ✭✭✭

Hi all,it's just me again :)
Can anybody recommend a inexpensive hobby USB microscope to examine and photo coins.Has to start at 0x . My 66 year old eyes are having age related difficulties straining through a loupe. Most of the ones I have seen on eBay start at 40X power or higher.Limited funds. Under $40 is my goal.Has to work with Win 7 64 bit.Lately, I have been photographing with this set up.A loupe handheld onto the front of my $3 yard sale camera/ lens gets halfway decent shots but it takes a LOT of time to get the lighting and focus right.But if you are patient you can get pretty good results.But for larger coins I need a bigger field of view.

1966 SMS

photo index.gif

Best Answers

• Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Rich49 I'm not sure you are going to find the answer your looking for here. I would post this same thread over on the U.S. coin forum. Lots of knowledgeable photographers there.

Later, Paul.

Answers

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 20, 2017 12:50PM

@Rich49
    Search for this thread in "US Coin Forum"

New Toy - Cheap Fun. USB Microscope
    joeykoins
    comment by joeykoins · March 28, 2017 1:36PM · U.S. Coin Forum

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

• Options
    oz_in_ohiooz_in_ohio Posts: 184 ✭✭

I scan my coins at 600kb...have you tried that??? it is slow but the outcome is great...

• Options

@oz_in_ohio
    Could you show me an example of your scans, Thanks

• Options
    oz_in_ohiooz_in_ohio Posts: 184 ✭✭

How is this???

• Options
    Rich49Rich49 Posts: 189 ✭✭✭

Thanks for the help ! Appreciate it a lot :)

photo index.gif