Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I found an interesting Ike dollar...

MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,665 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is not a series I'm fond of, but I had never seen one like this before and the price was right.
I found it at an antique show over the weekend.
The "Washington Dollar"
photo IMG_6252.jpg
photo IMG_6250.jpg
photo IMG_6251.jpg

Comments

• Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a counterstamped coin by Mel Wacks in the original signed case. I think they're worth about 40-50 dollars.
    Now you have to find the rest of his counterstamps !

Nice example.

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool- I've never seen one in the original box. FYI- Mel Wacks is a forum member and posts here occasionally.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    edited July 17, 2017 9:23AM

I hadn't gotten around to googling it yet and I could not make out the signature. Thanks for the info.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

A nice counterstamped pied... I have not seen one of those.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

I opened the thread, as based on the title I thought it was a joke! Just kidding!!! I like Ike!

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

Kind of interested in how they did the counter-stamping. The stamp looks pretty deep and detailed on the reverse, indicating a lot of pressure was required. Yet there seems to be a very low amount of damage/flattening of the obverse portrait.

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool! :#

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is interesting, thanks for posting it :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭

A fascinating counterstamped coin. Thanks for sharing it.

Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

• Options

@TommyType said:
    Kind of interested in how they did the counter-stamping. The stamp looks pretty deep and detailed on the reverse, indicating a lot of pressure was required. Yet there seems to be a very low amount of damage/flattening of the obverse portrait.

I agree. It is slightly bowled from being stamped but no real flattening on Ikes big ol' head.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TommyType said:

There's not too much that a blank die can do. Definitely has an interesting effect.

• Options
    SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's not uncommon to find them with a split planchet.

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Mel - good to see you here !

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's definitely a cool counterstamp. Nice to meet you, Mel.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not to go too far off-track, but here's another Mel Wacks issue, commemorating the camp David peace accords:

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coin was placed on a leather pad for counter stamping.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RogerB said:
    The coin was placed on a leather pad for counter stamping.

Thx for that detail. I always wondered.

I have some experience with counterstamping and I can appreciate the work it took to get these results. In addition to the leather, I assume the die was slowly impressed with a hydrolic press rather than done with a sudden powerful strike.

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know what type of press was used by Mr. Wacks. He gave me the leather pad info back when I was researching the Peace Dollar Guidebook.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great links! Thanks for sharing.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file