Home U.S. Coin Forum

Post your half dimes

CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 16, 2017 3:09PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Especially if toned

Comments

• rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,567 ✭✭✭✭✭

1831 PCGS AU58. V-2, LM-3, R.4. From Mike Printz at HJB.

1836, unattributed (meaning I forgot the attribution, so it's not a rare one :)). Raw AU.

1837 Small 5c, a tough Red Book variety. Just try to locate a nice one in XF or higher.

1833 LM-6, R.6. It's been cleaned ages ago, but we can forgive it due to the R.6 rating.

1837 Small Date, great album toning, though likely dipped decades ago.

More of the same, but this time, PCGS AU58 in an older blue label holder. This coin has great navy blue toning on the obverse in person.

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 16, 2017 5:17PM

Thanks GC...as of 2 minutes ago I've got a date to bring to the dance.

PCGS AU58. From Mike Printz at HJB.

PCGS AU50, blue label. Toning is secondary, but not bad looking.

edited February 25, 2018 6:38PM

PCGS MS66, blue label. Submitted once (by me) before CAC existed. Maybe an MS67 to some people? The most lustrous, well-struck half dime in my entire collection, it is also an early die state with the faint crack at 3:30 on the reverse. According to an old auction catalogue I perused, the reverse die was allegedly replaced with a new one after 100 coins were struck, and the first 100 coins are identified by the reverse die crack. Mr. HalfDime could possibly tell us whether this story is fact or fiction, should he stumble upon this monstrous thread filled with half dimes. ;)

New pics added 2/25/2018, now that I have a macro lens.

edited February 25, 2018 6:56PM

This 1873-s is the best toner half dime I have ever owned. Why, oh why, did I not get a TruView when I sent it in? PCGS MS65, old holder, and destined for a regrade. For now, please enjoy my blurry obverse pic, use your imagination, and consider the image as "impressionist artwork."

New macro lens pics February 2018:

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, Rich posted some monster early H10c. It's not every day you see an 1802 H10c, nor either of the 1800 varieties posted! I wonder how many people are still actively collecting the 1794-1805 early H10c by die marriage?

• keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

My only half dimes. These were given to me and make me happy.
    Some darn nice half dimes in this thread!

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:

Free half dimes would make me happy too.

• tdiaz1979tdiaz1979 Posts: 75 ✭✭✭

I sent out the check and as soon as Spacehayduke receives it this will be mine! Thanks Spacehayduke!

• tdiaz1979tdiaz1979 Posts: 75 ✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:
    Thanks GC...as of 2 minutes ago I've got a date to bring to the dance.

Beautiful coin had it on my GC watch list!

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

My only Baby Dime so far.....

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have an upgrade waiting in the wings;

1836 H10C Small 5C LM-4 XF40 CAC

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have just one, LM-3 triple stripe.
    Lance.

edited July 18, 2017 8:22AM

That's a cool variety Lance! Most, myself included, would have overlooked the tri-stripe shield.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭✭

that is one of the clearer (EDS) overdates! I believe mrhalfdime and cpthenway cleared this matter up with a nice EDS example (probably similar to yours)

• yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 18, 2017 7:05PM

Nice 1849 V-2 EDS! There should be a network of die cracks on the reverse.
    I call this variety "9 over far 6".
    Compare with the V-4, which is "9 over near 6" - the lower loop of the 6 is not as far to the right on the V-4.
    https://web.stanford.edu/~clint/hdag/

• GotTheBugGotTheBug Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@oih82w8 said:
    That's a cool variety Lance! Most, myself included, would have overlooked the tri-stripe shield.

In the Bust Dimes the triple stripe is more common than the 2 stripes variety.

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS 65+ CAC

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,572 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 3 stripe half dimes (LM-1, 2, 3) are fairly common also (R-2, 1, 2).
    So are many of the 2 stripe 1829 half dimes.

edited July 19, 2017 7:52PM

@DIMEMAN said:

@oih82w8 said:

In the Bust Dimes the triple stripe is more common than the 2 stripes variety.

Shows you what know about Bust Half Dimes... not much.

• WDPWDP Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's a colorful half dime that is coming up for sale in my half dime sale at the 2017 ANA. If you have a copy of the Logan-McCloskey half dime book it is a color photo of the plate coin for the 1829 LM-15.2 remarriage in the book on page 162. This coin was from the Russell Logan Collection which was sold by Bowers & Merena Galleries in November 2002:1725 where is was raw and called AU-58. You can see this coin "in person" and others at my Table 435.

Photo courtesy of PCGS.

W. David Perkins Numismatics - http://www.davidperkinsrarecoins.com/ - 25+ Years ANA, ANS, NLG, NBS, LM JRCS, LSCC, EAC, TAMS, LM CWTS, CSNS, FUN

@CommemDude, that is a beautiful 1800 Bust H10C!

@CommemDude, that is a beautiful 1800 Bust H10C!

Thanks @CommemDude! I hope you can make the ANA show and get to see this half dime in person at my Table 435.

W. David Perkins Numismatics - http://www.davidperkinsrarecoins.com/ - 25+ Years ANA, ANS, NLG, NBS, LM JRCS, LSCC, EAC, TAMS, LM CWTS, CSNS, FUN

edited July 20, 2017 9:49AM

Deleted as I had the wrong photo.

• MrHalfDimeMrHalfDime Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 20, 2017 9:46AM

WDP, are you sure that is a half dime, and not a dime, like perhaps a JR-5? I have never seen or even heard of such an obverse cud in the 1834 half dimes. Cool to be sure, but perhaps out of place in a half dime thread.

They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

@MrHalfDime, your sharp today as usual. My mistake. Photo was labeled incorrectly in my files!

Nice cud anyway?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file