Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

France Louis XIV 1701 1/2 ECU - real? value?

Hi all,

Normally I am over on the currency side, so I am not so familiar with coins, especially world coins.
I'm looking to pick up a French 1/2 ECU from the Louis the 14th period and this particular coin caught my eye due to price and condition.

Does anyone have any knowledge on these that comment on whether this is real/altered and of the value they are asking ($190)?
Thanks for any feedback.....

Dan
"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."

- Abraham Lincoln

Comments

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 15, 2017 4:21PM

Looks authentic, probably cleaned at one time. Do not worry about the crude elements around rims and inscriptions - at this time, the French would take these coins in as taxes and restamp the coin (directly over the old coin) with a new design. The new coin was re-issued at a nominally higher value (to the government's profit). This chicanery was done to finance all the wars and court expenditures.

Some coins of this era in the ecu and 1/2 ecu size exist with evidence of three or four strikings. Sometimes the combination of design elements is confusing and hard to follow because of all the imperfect restrikings. Price seems okay to me for a half-dollar sized silver coin of such a famous King of France. While not a perfect specimen, it has a nice portrait, it is desirable and price is probably fair.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

What BillDugan said

• Options
    AllLincolnsAllLincolns Posts: 55 ✭✭✭

Cool. Thanks for the feedback. Just want to be careful. Ignorance can be very expensive.... :)

Dan
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."

- Abraham Lincoln