Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1913 Nickel

I inherited a Nickel with a V on the back any nfo would be appreciated

Comments

• Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

1913 Liberty Head nickels are very valuable....But that also means they are often counterfeit. (Only 5 real ones exist, but I think they are all accounted for).

In your case, I think it's fairly obvious that the "3" in the date has been rather crudely modified from another digit. That makes it an "interesting conversation piece", but little more.

Sorry.

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool altered date coin, I would love to have it.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    COINS MAKE CENTSCOINS MAKE CENTS Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 19, 2017 3:45PM

Meant to say 1908

New inventory added daily at Coins Make Cents
    HAPPY COLLECTING

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

that would be fun to have laying around. just saying

• Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

"NEWS FLASH"-------"Sixth Rare Liberty Nickel Finally Surfaces !!!"

• Options
    Peace_dollar88Peace_dollar88 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 13, 2017 11:36AM

Interesting pocket conversation piece anyways...

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

Abby:
    I 100% guarantee that it is fake.

And, no I am not making you an offer to buy it.

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    COINS MAKE CENTSCOINS MAKE CENTS Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yea good call haha Thursday morning brain fart

New inventory added daily at Coins Make Cents
    HAPPY COLLECTING

• Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭

Does this mean my hoard of 5 pristine BU's aren't the real deal?

BUMMER ........ dudes.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

That would make a nice conversation piece.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is there a way to tell if this is a contemporary altered date or a modern altered date?

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

Look like has some light horizontal lamination cracks streaking across the obverse.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks like an old alteration. It's not bad, really. It's got a real nice circulated look to cover the tooling. Of course it wouldn't stand up to scrutiny from those "in the know".

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@abby3000 .... Welcome aboard.... sorry you have to hear such disappointing news in your first post. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure, but doesn't the Hawaii 5 0 episode on the 1913 Lib show how it's done ?

Steve

Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is a pic of the highest graded 1913 Liberty nickel.
    The coin posted in the original post has a different "3" than the known genuine 1913 Liberty nickel.
    Therefore, the coin in the original post is not a genuine 1913 Liberty nickel.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

The OP's coin is from die pair #1. The other 5 are from die pair #2.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    MartinMartin Posts: 840 ✭✭✭✭✭

Abby. I'm in the market for one. If you change your mind about selling let me know

• Options
    ArizonaRareCoinsArizonaRareCoins Posts: 679 ✭✭✭✭

April fools in July. Now I've seen everything. lol

• Options
    AnalystAnalyst Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭

Rich: Here is a pic of the highest graded 1913 Liberty nickel. ... The coin posted in the original post has a different "3" than the known genuine 1913 Liberty nickel. ... Therefore, the coin in the original post is not a genuine 1913 Liberty nickel. ...

Is it true that the numeral 3 and nearby die-related items appear exactly the same on the five authenticated and pedigreed 1913 Liberty Head Nickels? I never actually compared all the 3s myself. I have heard varying explanations. I do not now recollect all the discussions in 2003.

The Walton piece was referred to as a forgery in the early 1960s and then authenticated at the ANA Convention in 2003. Did the appearance of the respective numeral 3 relate to the controversy? A team of experts spent considerable time authenticating the Walton piece in 2003, and at least one member of the team was very skeptical at first because of the characteristics of the date.

Do any members of this forum remember the details of the authentication process in 2003? Does anyone have immediate access to a book published shortly afterwards, Million Dollar Nickels?

Nevertheless, it is very unlikely that a sixth genuine 1913 Liberty Nickel exists. I wonder if PCGS graders would be willing to examine purported new discoveries for free?

Olsen-Hawn 1913 Liberty Nickel Sold for $3,737,500 in January 2010

Walton 1913 one of Several Million Dollar Items in a CSNS Event

"In order to understand the scarce coins that you own or see, you must learn about coins that you cannot afford." -Me
  • Options

I just sent my 8 1913 Liberty Nickels in for grading. Hope you are going to do the same.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,091 ✭✭✭✭✭

Super rarities almost never surface in accidental collections, especially in carelessly worn low end condition.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the information Fred. I am not sure who has told abby3000 the coin is real... nor even if anyone has really authenticated it... highly unlikely. I hope the OP posts more information... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

most interesting fred. thats a cool story

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

.....and I get emails and phone calls that
    say "this error was authenticated by the Mint,
    by my local coin store, by the bank, by the
    (insert here)........and of course, none of them are.

Over the decades, I've found that people make
    statements like this ("it's been authenticated', etc.)
    because they showed it to someone/anyone, who
    say's 'looks good to me' or 'looks like it could be good',
    or they say it just for fun, with no one else seeing the
    coin, but it's fun to say 'it's been declared genuine'.....
    ....even though we never know who the heck told them that.

In any case, this one isn't genuine, obviously.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options

I think it is a genuine Liberty Nickel, which I suspect was minted in the year 1910.

• Options

I sent the coin to the professionals not just to my local coin shop it's been there for two weeks I just got the call it was real I should receive it back in two weeks. and then I will post more pics. And yes I no it's hard to believe for some, but it's confirmed. Love your comments though

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why can't you tell us the Professionals you sent the
    coin to? They should be honored for confirming
    the discovery.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    YouYou Posts: 141 ✭✭✭

@abby3000 said:
    I sent the coin to the professionals not just to my local coin shop it's been there for two weeks I just got the call it was real I should receive it back in two weeks. and then I will post more pics. And yes I no it's hard to believe for some, but it's confirmed. Love your comments though

I don't think you understand; we are the professionals. If you send this coin to PCGS or NGC they will send it back as counterfeit.

• Options

@logger7 said:
    Super rarities almost never surface in accidental collections, especially in carelessly worn low end condition.

Occasionally they do though. Like the 1853-0 NA halves of which all 3 are well circulated G-VF.

• Options
    abby3000abby3000 Posts: 11
    edited July 19, 2017 3:03PM

Lol Instant Millionaire, not everything is about money, this coin is sentimental to me, it's from my great grandpa from Philly Pa Again this coin is NOT for sale.

• Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

Steve

Promote the Hobby
  • Options

@FredWeinberg said:
    Why can't you tell us the Professionals you sent the
    coin to? They should be honored for confirming
    the discovery.

Oh they are, just be patient, there will be plenty coverage on this little coin.

• Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    YouYou Posts: 141 ✭✭✭

@abby3000 said:
    Lol Instant Millionaire, not everything is about money, this coin is sentimental to me, it's from my great grandpa from Philly Pa Again this coin is NOT for sale.

There isn't anyone here who has unironically offered to buy the "coin." I'm not sure what your point is now unless to just be obnoxious.

• Options

@afford said:

@abby3000 said:

I understand, but do you understand no one wants to buy it.

@afford said:

@abby3000 said:

@afford said:

@abby3000 said:

Well so far there are 22 offers and still going, sorry

• Options
    edited July 19, 2017 3:41PM

@abby3000 said:

I can't even imagine why they needed 2 weeks to determine an authentic or counterfeit 1913 Lib nickel. And why 2 weeks to get it back? That thing should be sent overnight FED EX insured by the sender. That's how most 6-7 figures coins would be shipped...other than Brinks Armor. Just curious, how did you ship/insure the coin on the way out to the Professionals?

What are the odds that a Good 1913 Lib nickel took 30-50 yrs or so to finally get plucked from circulation when the fame of the 1913 nickel was very well known? Then again, a single 1894-s dime in Good condition was spent and not noticed for 30-50 yrs either.

• Options
    ArizonaRareCoinsArizonaRareCoins Posts: 679 ✭✭✭✭

This started out as an amusing and funny thread. We got to see what an altered date 1913 looks like. But now, human nature rears its head. Nobody likes to be told/shown that they are wrong, so they fight back with flailing words.......genuine, genuine, genuine..............Russia, Russia, Russia.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,779 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd like to know who these "Professionals" are. They should be prosecuted for numismatic malpractice.

Or, perhaps they said that it is a "genuine" coin that has been altered? I guess we'll know soon enough, assuming we get the follow-up.

Personally, if I had a coin like this that I believed passed the first few tiers of scrutiny (which this coin does not), then I would be on the next flight out to PCGS to hand deliver this new discovery for their final opinion.

In any case, it is a neat memento that a lot of people would love to have, being that it appears to be a vintage alteration.

• Options

Ha gotta love your skeptics.

• Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭✭✭

It has to be genuine- its been posted on the internet.

I love them Barber Halves.....

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file