Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Disappointing 52 Topps Mantle PSA 8 auction

13»

Comments

• Options
    muffinsmuffins Posts: 469 ✭✭✭

simple. its a correction to the correction!

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

The PSA 8 auctioned off by Heritage went for $384,000 last night.

• Options
    fleet47fleet47 Posts: 78 ✭✭

As expected fell below expectations.

• Options

Card was pretty O/C though. Top tier cards for the grade will fetch great prices.

Joe

IG: goatcollectibles23

The biggest lesson I've learned in this hobby, and in life, is that if you have a strong conviction, you owe it to yourself to see it through. Don't sell yourself, or your investments, short. Unless the facts change. Then sell it all.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

Still almost 150K higher than the one in the OP.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2017 9:58AM

I would be willing to bet Heritage was expecting a higher price. They were predicting over 500k in their post.

• Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

poor timing right after the national...should have done it in the early spring

• Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

@Mr_9 said:

Not trying to be disagreeable, just legitimately wondering what goes on in the mind of a millionaire each month as they balance the checkbook...(er, I mean, read the emailed report from their accountant who balances their checkbook...)

1st world problems!!!

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another example of "card not holder" I think.

Like the one that sold at Hunt Auctions - this card is not a strong 8 IMO.

And, why pay a premium when the centering doesn't dictate?

Mike
  • Options
    JWBlueJWBlue Posts: 489 ✭✭✭
    edited August 20, 2017 2:39PM

I am a centering snob but that one that sold through Heritage still has great eye appeal.

• Options

@Mr_9 said:

@HighGradeLegends said:
    poor timing right after the national...should have done it in the early spring

At this spending level, does the timing really matter? I mean someone who spends half mil on a single item presumably has essentially unlimited resources, and so if they're in the market for something are they going to hesitate just because they spent a fair amount on some other stuff in the past few weeks too?

Not trying to be disagreeable, just legitimately wondering what goes on in the mind of a millionaire each month as they balance the checkbook...(er, I mean, read the emailed report from their accountant who balances their checkbook...)

The market is just softer. Just last week I saw on CNBC the preview for the Gooding and Company Pebble Beach car show and the representative said they were expecting the selling prices to not shatter records as some of the high end buyers had pulled back a lot. If you look at the results they all came in at the low end of the expected estimates and in some cases didn't even make the bottom number. If this card was going to rebound and sell for a 500k plus number it was going to be through Heritage. If you look at the vast majority of the cards that sold in this auction they were in many cases much lower than recent sales. The term correction is a decline of more than 10% and at this point it is really not even disputable that a correction is taking place. Many of the cards that sold in this auction are down dramatically from their peaks. If you are in the market for very expensive items you generally have a credit line against liquid assets and so the timing in reality doesn't matter much. If you have a 5 million dollar bond portfolio with a line of 3 million against it you can pull the trigger at anytime if a deal looks to good to pass up. We all as humans have some level of position bias and so it is hard to accept when a market is moving against us because there is hard earned money involved. Perhaps others see it differently but a close of 384k via Heritage would in my view mean Kendall is buying The Chrisser a steak. The good news I guess is he probably won't show up to collect on the bet.

• Options

@CrissCriss

You going to make an appearance at the National and collect your steak?