Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Lost PCGS slab...any way to claim ownership? (FOUND)

stealerstealer Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 18, 2017 9:54AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I recently misplaced a coin. I believe it's just lost in some nook or cranny in my house, but in the off chance that it shows up on a dealer's website or it's listed in an online auction, is there any way for me to claim ownership of the piece?

Here's a picture of the coin:

Comments

• Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

With a police report on file....maybe.

Without it, how do you prove you just didn't sell it, and forgot? Or dropped it on the street, only to be found by the new owner? Or was given away by a well meaning family member?

Stolen objects can probably be recovered. "Lost and forgotten" are harder to make a case on.

(My opinion only....I don't play a cop on TV). ;)

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,133 ✭✭✭✭✭

Police handle criminal matters. I'd truly give my home a good tossing.

peacockcoins

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

...so how does this kind of thing happen to a guy with the focus of a tiger and wisdom of a turtle???

I was thinking of the same thing! :D

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    stealerstealer Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 12, 2017 5:42PM

@3keepSECRETif2rDEAD said:
    ...so how does this kind of thing happen to a guy with the focus of a tiger and wisdom of a turtle??? ;)

I hope she turns up for you buddy!

That's it, I'm turning in for the night!

Thanks for the thoughts. Ironically this coin did come from eBay (surprise?) but I would like to find it!

• Options
    CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Police wont give a damn. Enter it into your inventory or registry at least. Look harder. I never understood how people could just "misplace" a valuable coin. Good luck. If its gone, sorry to say, its your fault.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm curious if certified coins were lost in the mail for whatever reason if the usps ever contacts the grading service and they follows it up with the last submitter, etc.? In a smart civilized society finding the rightful owner should be second nature. But sometimes I think we are still in the neanderthal era.

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 12, 2017 6:40PM

I've been told of misplaced coins valued in excess of $5000 turning up in the most unexpected places after a long search; I've personally seen several coins valued at $1000+ dropped on the bourse floor. Peoples' memories are very very faulty, and there is a certain (happy?) euphoria associated with a new purchase that causes people/collectors to be giddy and to forget normal security precautions. Good luck.

• Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭✭✭

I recently sold a PCGS coin on eBay the disappeared in transit vis USPS. I've kept it in my inventory wondering what happens if someone will try to claim it- what then? Grrrrr.....

I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TomB said:
    I'd list the cert number in a registry set and that way if anyone attempts to register it in the future you will get a notification.

This is absolutely the way to go!

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been told that when something goes missing, don't say it's lost...........it's just out of your sight.

Of course thinking in a positive way like that STILL will drive you crazy.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had a $85 1950 64 FBL ICG Half Dollar turn up after 15 yr under a heavy desk furniture piece. Still in good shape.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wish u luck finding it. Considering it's a $5200 coin if found by somebody they probably cracked it, sent it in raw, and it's in a new holder now w different Cert number. Perhaps it's somewhere in your home / I have had coins turn up after over a decade but nothing big ticket like that.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad you found it.

Or was it really the TSA that found it then interrogated you for 6 hours, then turned you over to the IRS?

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cavity search??????

Oh my.

bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very happy to hear you found it... after reading all the entries in the 'lost coin' thread, I was thinking that your case would be another installment... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool. 90% of the time they show up. A friend was freaking out recently for losing a $4k slabbed coin on consignment to him. A few days later he found it in his swim trunks no worse for the wear. Go figure. Good thing the new PC slabs are waterproof lol.

The more you VAM..

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file