Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Best Value in Unopened?

I'm curious to know what folks think the best value in unopened boxes is. I've always thought that 1983 boxes were a steal because there are three hall of fame RCs without any hint of steroids issues, and these boxes tend to be pretty cheap, especially for Donruss and Fleer.

I have no idea what the modern day equivalent would be, but sometimes I like to buy older boxes of Bowman chrome just for fun and I'm wondering if there's a year that gets low attention for the amount of solid cards in the set.

Comments

• coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭

1997 bowman chrome bAseball is kinda cheap.....beltre rookie year

• ndleondleo Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭✭✭

For Football, I think 2004 Football is a bargain right now. Except for 2004 Topps Chrome, the rest of the boxes have been flat for many years. 3 HOF QBs and a HOF WR make it one of the deepest rookie years of that era.

Mike
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 12, 2017 5:37PM

Virtually full series 1 1971 Topps baseball wax box..wow!

For a 70s collector, that is right up there in the pantheon of greatness.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭

On the lower end of the price spectrum, but I've always thought 1987 Donruss was loaded and a relative bargain. My second choice would be 1983 Topps.

Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.
  • dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭

2000 Bowman Chrome Football (Brady)

Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭

@dtkk49a said:
    2000 Bowman Chrome Football (Brady)

I think this is not the definition of "value" to open. It is a one card pull or dead box basically and even then you must hit a 10 to make a decent amount besides the scarce refractor.

• SpinFadeSplash23SpinFadeSplash23 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭

Depends if value is defined as an unopened product or if you crack it open. I feel 1993 SP Baseball boxes are undervalued in an unopened state, but it falls into the same scenario as above - chasing a PSA 9 or 10 Jeter for the payoff if opened.

If I had to make one call, I would say 1998 basketball (Chrome, SP, etc) has good value. Dirk, Pierce, Air Canada and White Chocolate. Not only do we have HOF talent with numbers to back it up, but 1998 hosts distinct, era defining personalities that will stand the test of time. Having MJ and Kobe included in the product doesn't hurt either.

Joe

IG: goatcollectibles23

The biggest lesson I've learned in this hobby, and in life, is that if you have a strong conviction, you owe it to yourself to see it through. Don't sell yourself, or your investments, short. Unless the facts change. Then sell it all.
  • Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

I second 1987 Donruss.

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • RookieWaxRookieWax Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭

1990 Action-Packed football rookie update is a great box to open....with 4 HOF rookie cards and the fact you will pull several of each from a box. The embossed surfaces are great as well and there aren't an abundance of boxes out there.

• ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭

Prices of unopened seem to relate directly to the values and scarcity of the graded cards from that set. 1983 Topps Baseball is great but the Population of the Big 3 in PSA 10 just keeps going higher and higher. I don't think that will bode well for the value of an unopened box.

My pick is 1981 Topps BB., No major rookie cards hurt it, but there are a lot of really hard to find PSA 10's that could be found in a box and it should drive the price up.

The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection
  • gemintgemint Posts: 6,066 ✭✭✭✭✭

1975 Topps mini if you can get a decent pack/box that isn't from a miscut case. Lots of star potential and relatively cheap compared to other packs from the 70s.

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gemint said:
    1975 Topps mini if you can get a decent pack/box that isn't from a miscut case. Lots of star potential and relatively cheap compared to other packs from the 70s.

I've bought 3 unopened boxes of minis', and I should have left all three unopened.
    Opened them and they were all from a miscut case.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭

@Darin said:

@gemint said:

I've bought 3 unopened boxes of minis', and I should have left all three unopened.
    Opened them and they were all from a miscut case.

Same here. Agree with Grote about the value in relation to others, but it's a big IF on getting a nice box

The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection
  • 70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭✭

Agree with Tim and Todd on 75 minis when centered.

Hope to see you both at National

Dave
  • rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭

86 topps baseball. Low risk, high reward. Although I haven't experienced much high reward.

• ChiefsFan1stChiefsFan1st Posts: 845 ✭✭✭

@ndleo said:
    For Football, I think 2004 Football is a bargain right now. Except for 2004 Topps Chrome, the rest of the boxes have been flat for many years. 3 HOF QBs and a HOF WR make it one of the deepest rookie years of that era.

I have 7 boxes on the shelf right now and make it a habit that with every order, I get another when possible. I also like the 1987 Topps for rookies. I am a junkie for that stuff. Have waaaay too many

I dont wanna grow up, Im a Toys-R-Us kid!
  • ndleondleo Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ChiefsFan1st said:

@ndleo said:

I have 7 boxes on the shelf right now and make it a habit that with every order, I get another when possible. I also like the 1987 Topps for rookies. I am a junkie for that stuff. Have waaaay too many

I tend to stick to Topps/Bowman products and Contenders for 2004. Some of the Fleer product is nice and a good buy at the right price. I skip the SP Authentic all together since of the 100 or so boxes I've opened or seen opened, no one pulled one of the big 3 QBs. I think the prices for SPA reflect the low odds. My Upper Deck tin foil hat conspiracy theory makes me think those boxes were given to big distributors.

Mike
  • ChiefsFan1stChiefsFan1st Posts: 845 ✭✭✭

@ndleo said:

@ChiefsFan1st said:

@ndleo said:

I tend to stick to Topps/Bowman products and Contenders for 2004. Some of the Fleer product is nice and a good buy at the right price. I skip the SP Authentic all together since of the 100 or so boxes I've opened or seen opened, no one pulled one of the big 3 QBs. I think the prices for SPA reflect the low odds. My Upper Deck tin foil hat conspiracy theory makes me think those boxes were given to big distributors.

Yea, Bowman is my favorite through the 2000's, that's what I grab when possible. My brother is a huge Roethlisberger fan and likes the SP. But I am with you, the odds are not worth the gamble to me. Don't know much about the Fleer product. When it comes to football, I just can't get excited about any Fleer I have been around.

I don't really open anything anymore, maybe just the occasional "lets drink a beer and rip a box from the shelf". So I am probably gonna either end up with a big unopened sale when I get old or a ripfest out of this world! Or worse yet, I die, the wife sells it all and moves to the Caribbean , lounges on the beach under an umbrella while drinking a Margarita thinking I really miss what's his name :(

I dont wanna grow up, Im a Toys-R-Us kid!