Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Short sets of US patterns...

MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭

With more than 2000 different pieces listed in Judd, all ranging from rare to completely unobtainable, patterns can be an intimidating thing to collect. In fact, nobody has ever completed the entire series, and nobody ever will. However, there are dozens of "short sets" of patterns that would make for a completely realistic project.

For example, you can build a complete four coin set of 1883 Nickels, each in a distinctly different copper-nickel alloy. (Off-metal strikes exist, but they are not necessary for a basic set.) Mintage figures are not known, but I would guess that less than 100 sets were struck. Individual coins typically sell in the 2K to 6K range, depending on quality, and they regularly come up for auction.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

Comments

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 9, 2017 9:46PM

This is a good idea. We've had similar discussions here about creating short sets with other items like So-Called Dollars.

I like patterns but admit I'm a bit overwhelmed by how many different kinds there are. It would be nice if short sets could be presented in a CoinFacts like presentation somewhere.

• Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,124 ✭✭✭✭✭

They are intimidating to me but never thought of short sets.

Larry

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have not, so far, considered patterns. Interesting idea... but a very narrow collecting area. Probably good for pure collectors, not sure how good for those who sell... I imagine a dealer could cultivate a market though. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting idea.

Patterns, generally, are for people who don't like assembling a monotonous set. Why turn it into that?

• Options
    RegulatedRegulated Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd like to do a pre-1792 short set.

What is now proved was once only imagined. - William Blake
  • Options

@pruebas said:
    Interesting idea.

Patterns, generally, are for people who don't like assembling a monotonous set. Why turn it into that?

The goal of a short set is not to to achieve monotony, but to build something that can be completed. Anyway, there are certainly some short sets that would be far from monotonous. I'll post one in a a little while.

Andy Lustig

• Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 10, 2017 7:58PM

To me the most obvious is the 12 piece 1858 Pattern Cent set :smile:

Boiler has a great photo of his 12 piece set on the registry

Doug
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrEureka said:
    Here's a short set of pattern quarter types. Some might consider it "monotonous" because they're all the same denomination, but it wouldn't bother me.

Should the Martha Washington piece be included as well?

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good idea - I really like the "12" piece 1858 1c set, larger if you include the sub varieties, off metals, etc.

Perfect chance to do a basic v. esoteric set.

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options

@Zoins said:

@MrEureka said:
    Here's a short set of pattern quarter types. Some might consider it "monotonous" because they're all the same denomination, but it wouldn't bother me.

Should the Martha Washington piece be included as well?

I could argue it either way, but it doesn't matter what I think. It's up to the person building the collection.

You could also include a 1792 Wright Quarter and a 1916 Standing Liberty pattern if you like.

Andy Lustig

• Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does Judd list the 1864 2 cent piece SM proof as a pattern?

• Options

@Raybo said:
    Does Judd list the 1864 2 cent piece SM proof as a pattern?

Not in bronze. Only the "off-metal" strikes.

Andy Lustig

• Options
    edited October 15, 2020 10:33PM

@retirednow said:
    I just started poking at the forum and like this topic and great suggestions ... It would be nice if PCGS would set up more PATTERN type sets or short sets registries. Not sure any more people wold join the pattern registry but might encourage collectors to expand into patterns when they can see short size series to compete in. I for one am working on various type series independent of metals

There are already a fair number of short sets listed. They just get lost in the sea of larger sets. That said, there are many more short sets that could be created, but then the list of registries would get REALLY overwhelming.

Andy Lustig

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd seriously like to start a set like that someday. For now I'm not in the position but hopefully in the future.

Most patterns are incredibly beautiful, IMO some more so than the designs that were used at the time. I wish they would be considered for some of today's coinage.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

yes very good thinking indeed.

A good short set could be:

a date set
    a denomination type set.
    a postage currency set
    a set of aluminum metals
    a set od silver patterns
    a set of copper patterns
    a grading set.
    etc etc.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options

for example

I did a grading set of all 1942 cent patterns. so that combines a date set with a grading set.

• Options

I had to stop as I ran out of room in my vault box.

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭✭

I did a “short set” of (42) Liberty Nickel patterns. Unlike Orville, I might have to stop as I “ran out of room” in my pocketbook! 😆

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    2ltdjorn2ltdjorn Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭

A old friend collected by denomination, he had a nearly complete set of 5c patterns.

He passed recently. I miss him, he was a great resource.

WTB... errors, New Orleans gold, and circulated 20th key date coins!
  • Options
    retirednowretirednow Posts: 474 ✭✭✭✭✭

@wondercoin said:
    I did a “short set” of (42) Liberty Nickel patterns. Unlike Orville, I might have to stop as I “ran out of room” in my pocketbook! 😆

Wondercoin

42 a short set ... wow. I have been working on a just a Judd design type of liberty 5C pieces - one of each design type independent of metals ..maybe 15 examples and that is taking years ...nice

• Options
    retirednowretirednow Posts: 474 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2ltdjorn said:
    A old friend collected by denomination, he had a nearly complete set of 5c patterns.

He passed recently. I miss him, he was a great resource.

Sorry to hear about your friend passing. If he had a large Pattern 5 Cent collection I wonder if a dealer Julian Leidman picked up his collection. Julian has a large selection on his web site for a few years now and he told me he picked them up from a collector in the Maryland area. He had some very unusual & rare pieces like the double headed pieces that you might never see in the market (except Simpson now). I did pick up one more common liberty head piece from him a few years ago. In any case it look like a life time to collect such a complete looking set and I am sure he enjoy it very much.

• Options

wondercoin..... now that my daughter Just got married I can indeed add my vanishing pocketbook to the reasons for stopping my purchases of more patterns!

I can share in your pain while my wife is happy! 😳

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file