Home Precious Metals
Options

Newp Sterling Bowl - Made a MEME

ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

What size is it? Only for information, no doubt a good deal.... Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko It's smaller, like 5 inches diameter and weighs between 2 and 3 ounces. It's not a home run, but definitely a morale booster finding it for under $5 :)
    The thing that's pretty cool is that there isn't a single dent anywhere. It's in perfect condition. Usually these small bowls are dented up pretty badly. It's nice to just keep for such a small price paid.

• Options

@asheland ...Definitely a nice find... I saw a similar one.... will let you know if I get it. Cheers, RickO

• Options

This stuff is out there if you really look for it. I find sterling pieces for pennies on the dollar on a regular basis. Goodwill, flea markets, etc. I find more of this stuff (like this piece) at antique malls than anywhere else.

Two weeks ago I got this piece (pictured below) for $15! It's London, 1792 and was originally a cruet stand. It would have had a set of crystal bottles in it, but those and the center piece are obviously long gone by now. The wooden bottom is original though. This piece now sets on my shelf and it's cool to look at. I just can't bring myself to melt such an item...

• Options

@ricko said:
    @asheland ...Definitely a nice find... I saw a similar one.... will let you know if I get it. Cheers, RickO

Please do! It's fun finding this stuff in the wild. :) Kind of like getting 90% in change.

• Options
    MorganMan94MorganMan94 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭✭✭

@asheland said:
    This stuff is out there if you really look for it. I find sterling pieces for pennies on the dollar on a regular basis. Goodwill, flea markets, etc. I find more of this stuff (like this piece) at antique malls than anywhere else.

Two weeks ago I got this piece (pictured below) for $15! It's London, 1792 and was originally a cruet stand. It would have had a set of crystal bottles in it, but those and the center piece are obviously long gone by now. The wooden bottom is original though. This piece now sets on my shelf and it's cool to look at. I just can't bring myself to melt such an item...

Wow, what a beautiful piece!

• Options
  • Options

I am also looking for a nice silver pint mug.... traditional style, not the fancy ones.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    MorganMan94MorganMan94 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gosh all I find at garage sales is childrens clothes and other crap.

• Options

The silver tray I was looking at went way above reasonable price... I let it go. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko a lot of times they mark the stuff way up. I see that a lot, however eventually you'll get one cheap like this if you look enough.
    Thanks everybody for the compliments. :)

• Options

Yep... this one was on ebay....and went quite high.... Oh well, still looking for my tankard... Cheers, RickO

• Options

I wouldn't mind a tankard myself. Maybe @Weiss will do a giveaway on the board? :D

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

LOVE IT! :)

I understand it when people don't know that "coin silver" or non-marked silver is silver. There is a LOT of plated stuff out there, and some of it is very well done. It can be confusing.

But when something is marked "STERLING"?

Ever tell you about the time I was flipping a house and the workers called me to say they'd found something interesting?

Seems in all of the basement full of junk they'd found a suitcase...

...Locked...

They finally busted it open...

:)

http://www.beverlybremer.com/item/sterling/silver/8506/Georgian+Rose+by+Reed+&+Barton+4-PIECE+TEA+AND+COFFEE+SET+#670

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options

@Weiss said:
    LOVE IT! :)

I understand it when people don't know that "coin silver" or non-marked silver is silver. There is a LOT of plated stuff out there, and some of it is very well done. It can be confusing.

But when something is marked "STERLING"?

Ever tell you about the time I was flipping a house and the workers called me to say they'd found something interesting?

Seems in all of the basement full of junk they'd found a suitcase...

...Locked...

They finally busted it open...

:)

http://www.beverlybremer.com/item/sterling/silver/8506/Georgian+Rose+by+Reed+&+Barton+4-PIECE+TEA+AND+COFFEE+SET+#670

Dang!!! Nice find indeed!

• Options
    USASoccerUSASoccer Posts: 445 ✭✭✭

Pretty set!!!

• Options

Wow... that is amazing.... Gorgeous silver tea/coffee set.... Sterling I presume. Too bad there was not a tankard with that set ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said:
    Wow... that is amazing.... Gorgeous silver tea/coffee set.... Sterling I presume. Too bad there was not a tankard with that set ;) Cheers, RickO

Yep. There's a link below the image with details of what the set is. Sadly, though it's a great maker (Reed & Barton), well made, attractive, and solid sterling, it's actually not a particularly valuable set. IIRC, the "hallmark" indicates this set was made in the late 1950s or early 1960s. They made the set for many years. You can find sets like this on eBay for less than $1k. Of course the silver has value. The combined weight is just over 75 ounces. But people just don't sit around having high tea or coffee out of pieces like these.

I might post a follow-up to the story some day soon ;)

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options

@Weiss Did you end up keeping the tea set? I find sets like this, if purchased inexpensively can be yet another way of holding "bullion" It's a little more fun as you can use these for more than a paper weight.

• Options

@asheland said:
    @Weiss Did you end up keeping the tea set? I find sets like this, if purchased inexpensively can be yet another way of holding "bullion" It's a little more fun as you can use these for more than a paper weight.

I have kept it...up until today. And I agree, I like having some nice pieces of sterling when it can be purchased well. You just have to keep in mind that knife blades are almost always steel, knife handles and candlestick bases are often weighted with plaster or resin. But if you know that and the dealer knows that, you can use it as leverage to get really nice things for next to nothing. I picked up a pretty little sterling bud vase a year or two ago for like $2.

--Severian the Lame
  • Options

@Weiss.... I look forward to the follow up.... and your generous give away of a sterling tankard... :D Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a great story Weiss.
    Based on our previous PM transactions and your contributions to these forums, I've always considered you a class act. This story reiterates that my opinion was spot on.

• Options

@Weiss..... Great story and truly a neat ending. One of my hobbies is metal detecting. When a ring or medal is found, with name or initials (usually initials and date), I try to trace the owner and return the item. Often successful with class rings...not so much other items. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love the story Weiss. Thumbs up emoji.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great story and good man!

• Options

Great story indeed! I respect what you did with that set. :)

• Options

Thanks, guys. It's the kind of story that you feel dumb about sharing, but I know people like me who dream of precious metals can appreciate it. I thought I'd lost all of the before and after pictures in my last computer upgrade, but I found them just now. Here are just a few of the areas of the house before we started and how they looked as we finished up. Note the last few images of the basement before, so you can see what we were up against, and the finished basement with new duct work, furnace, etc...

--Severian the Lame
  • Options

@Weiss You certainly do good work!

• Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, that was quite the undertaking. The finished product came out fantastic. I really like the siding/shake transition on the exterior.

• Options
    edited July 14, 2017 8:07AM

@Downtown1974 said:
    Wow, that was quite the undertaking. The finished product came out fantastic. I really like the siding/shake transition on the exterior.

Thanks. That was a really, really bold choice and one I stressed about a lot! But I did a fair amount of research for these 4-square houses and these colors were accurate for this period. You can see it had shake before, but it was all painted the same peeling white paint that didn't show any of that transition. We searched high and low for a really bold, thick cut style of vinyl siding that would highlight the horizontal siding and the shake upper. We found it, but man, it was expensive.

The before image of the house was the way it had looked for years. The whole neighborhood was dragged down by that desolate, withering shell. It was really gratifying to see the whole neighborhood start to perk up once they got what we were doing. It was like they were cheering us on. And then the neighbors started to work on their homes, too. Now this quiet little 2-block long street is an oasis in the middle of town. It was something to see. :)

--Severian the Lame
  • Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Weiss Post of the year. Well done on the return of the set, well done on teaching your child values, well done on the restoration, well done on making the previous owners day.

Whenever I do something like that, even if it is a little delayed, it always works out better in the end. Positive Karma.

• Options

Great work @Weiss.... Fantastic transformation. That cellar was truly a disaster - well, so was most of the house. Cheers, RickO