Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Mantle pics?

Hey everybody...been a long time. Anyone have any cool mantles to share? If anyone is at the national with big mantles for sale, let me know.

"Wots Uh The Deal" by Pink Floyd

Comments

• seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    edited July 8, 2017 3:59PM

hey, its been awhile..I know KC has all the big mantles and card country has the big ones for sale usually...but I've been away for many months so don't know how active jeff is....tho he's usually as the national with big mantles...not sure if KC is selling or not but he has all the mantles that jeff doesn't...ha

....heck I've been away so long that ill apologize ahead of time for this..but "is the national this weekend?" by you asking if anyone is at the national....off to google i go...but i guess not to chicago(?)

Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

Always happy to share this one!

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• tbonewillytbonewilly Posts: 424 ✭✭✭

I've only got around 29 of them, still in the racks from Bowman...not sure if they count but it would be pretty sweet :)

Ken - Volunteered to work in Florida Keys, now freezing in Ohio
    Work in progress - Unopened Racks/Cello/Wax with star power for Baseball, Football and Basketball
    Collecting unopened 80's boxes and graded packs
    I may be hoarding too much 80's junk wax but I like it!
  • seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    edited July 8, 2017 4:10PM

Wow! Sweet DM23. And if ur ever selling it.....

Why's it only a 4.5? Gee whiz. Nice!

Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • belzbelz Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭

Ya man...that card rocks. Wowsa...I remember you being the mantle man...I sold off many of my 8s but picked up a few big ones in the last year...looking forward to seeing what jeff brings for sure in a few weeks. Loving the Aaron judge thread..total stud.

edited July 8, 2017 4:21PM

Thanks. Honest corner wear is the reason; would put it side by side to compare with many a tilted 7, lol.

The card had one prior owner, who pulled it from a pack. It also was once on the TV news, when it was in the Louisville Slugger Museum; headlined their Topps Exhibit. It was certainly the highlight of my collecting, to have people seeing it in a museum. They had a tilted 8 and a 60/40 PSA 7 at their disposal, yet chose the centered 4.5-- score one for the card-over-holder ethos ;)

Some pics below, including a screen shot of the TV news...

• bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

Odd Mickeys

Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • mickeymantle24mickeymantle24 Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭

Yo Steven! Hows it been man? Long time no talk, hope all is well. What Micks do you still have? I have been on a break from the Mantle hunt, and swore never to go back into this modern era. Damn this Judge kid is tempting me though lol

• Arsenal83Arsenal83 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭

Damn you guys and your 52T Mantles. Lol. I'm taking my cards and going home.

edited July 9, 2017 11:37AM

@mickeymantle24 said:
    Damn this Judge kid is tempting me though lol

Judge is The Man. I'm loving collecting his cards. Tons of fun. There's no substitute for watching the guy you're collecting live. Especially with your kid. We pulled a Judge from a box and I won't ever forget the excitement, what it's all about.

And can't forget my boy Frazier! Kid is heating up!

• mickeymantle24mickeymantle24 Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭
    edited July 9, 2017 11:47AM

@DM23HOF said:

@mickeymantle24 said:
    Damn this Judge kid is tempting me though lol

Judge is The Man. I'm loving collecting his cards. Tons of fun. There's no substitute for watching the guy you're collecting live. Especially with your kid. We pulled a Judge from a box and I won't ever forget the excitement, what it's all about.

And can't forget my boy Frazier! Kid is heating up!

That's Awesome! He has me tuned into the YES Network every chance I can get. Man those heritage cards look sweet, but Expensive!

I also have been watching every game thanks to him and Clint— and Montgomery and Sevvy also.

Yep, his Archives Autos and Heritage Autos and Heritage rare variations with Austin are pricey now— yet I figure that's a deal compared to what they'll cost me after he slugs #50 and wins MVP!

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hiya Al

That's some impressive and rare stuff you've posted.

Tho his 1st Topps card is iconic - some of the stuff you've shown there for me is much more intriguing - good show buddy.

Mike
    edited July 9, 2017 1:14PM

I'm partial to oddball Mantle stuff since I'm not a big card collector.

I've heard some think these are "fantasy" pieces? Don't know but that would be a lot of trouble to go thru IMO.

And some kid decided to "decorate" his game:

Also from his motel:

and one regular card - this one was interesting - was cleaning out some boxes and found this card - don't know when I bought it but based on the number - it was in the 90s.

Mike
  • KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 9, 2017 4:28PM

@seebelow said:
    hey, its been awhile..I know KC has all the big mantles and card country has the big ones for sale usually...but I've been away for many months so don't know how active jeff is....tho he's usually as the national with big mantles...not sure if KC is selling or not but he has all the mantles that jeff doesn't...ha

I appreciate the comments but I don't think I have all of the big Mantle cards :D I have kept up the run but have been doing so in lower grades than PSA 8 mainly due to the fact that I was finding some 5.5's to 7's that looked like 8's but prices were WAY lower. Have picked up some pre war stuff, and have only grabbed a few Mantle cards this year. Downgraded the 1960 PSA 8 to a lower grade, but did pick up my favorite all time PSA 8 from 1956 - have owned several 8/8.5's from 1956 and this one is the best of the group. Also, grabbed my first Bowman card ever and really like the card. A few pictures to catch you up.

Man, you guys are so sick...love it!!! I've been away too long. I still have my killer 8.5 58 mantle and picked up a monster 9 59. I still can't believe the dollars on the modern stuff but that's cool..they will never have the rarity of a perfect almost untouched hof card from 50 years ago...crazy. I like Judge...can't wait to see what the numbers are for correa, bellinger and other studs this season...seems to be a monster year coming.

If any of u guys are natty let me know and I'll buy u a drink across at gibsons...I'll have some Mantles and looking to get some old packs to rip...so much fun. Pm me and we'll connect.

Those old ball mantle items and articles are cool, thx for sharing. He's still the coolest baseball player of all time, although living in Chicago it's fun to see Bryant live.

Here's a fun one; ticket from the game he tore up his knee— a very good teaching tool for the kids, about how one comes back from a setback!

edited July 9, 2017 5:24PM

@KendallCat said:

@seebelow said:
    but I don't think I have all of the big Mantle cards :D I have kept up the run but have been doing so in lower grades

Hey, don't sell yourself short. Some of the biggest/best Mantle cards can come in lower grades. For example, I still cannot find a PSA 8 with a front that surpasses this one... And even if I found its equal with a PSA 8 flip, I'd be a fool to buy the 8 with this freak in hand ;)

Swinging over to the 1969 Mick, I've passed on 8s and 9s because this 6.5, from a fellow board member, just has freak centering... The snipe I had set for this one was straight nuke time.

One aspect of the 1959 that I've found contributes greatly to eye appeal is the inking and registration. On the 1959 Mantle, train the eye around the lower arc of the circular frame; often there will be a gap— that's the registration being off, and contributes to a blurrier image. The color on these is also often a bit washed out or dappled.

When I put this 4.5 specimen pictured below next to others in much higher grades and took a step back, this one popped to the eye much more. And after ten consecutive people said the same thing in a bit of a "Pepsi Challenge" among my 59s, this 4.5 won out in the sheer eye appeal department and in effect booted a 7 and 8!

If I had a picture to make a side-by-side comparison, the image quality difference would really be apparent. Actually the PSA 8.5 and PSA 7 examples that PWCC has at auction right now exhibit the usual less-than-crystal clear image quality that affects most 59s.

Thanks to the grading system, the better picture costs us collectors way less than the sharper corners ;) Of course, both attributes in the same specimen are optimum, yet if I have to pick one, I go image quality— after all, that's what I'm lookin' at.

• tbonewillytbonewilly Posts: 424 ✭✭✭

Plus my pair of PSA 7's from his 59 Set

Ken - Volunteered to work in Florida Keys, now freezing in Ohio
    Work in progress - Unopened Racks/Cello/Wax with star power for Baseball, Football and Basketball
    Collecting unopened 80's boxes and graded packs
    I may be hoarding too much 80's junk wax but I like it!

Will be at Gibson's several times so will see you over there. Just lay off my Doubletree cookies :D Can't wait to see the stuff this year in Chicago.

As far as the 52 Mantle I was able to see Matt's at the Slugger museum in person and what a monster of a card. Looks nicer than most cards 2-2.5 grades higher. Belz had some crazy Mantle cards back in the day - can't wait to see the new additions.

• jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since others are sharing their Mantles I guess I'll share the few that I have. Most of these are in various sets I'm working on.
    James

edited July 9, 2017 7:34PM

1951 World Series Stub where Mantle hit his "first" of 18 homers in his series history - still the record today.

Mike
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    edited July 9, 2017 10:30PM

Something a little different. Type 1 photos of THE MICK from the '57 World Series.

And how about THE MICK in the T-206 set?

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • JustinsShoeboxJustinsShoebox Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭
    edited July 10, 2017 8:22AM

Love all of the Micks guys! This one I've acquired recently and find myself looking at it all of the time. It goes right next to a signed 1961 Topps Maris that I have as well. The Maris is currently in a JSA slab and is at PSA for crossover to a red flip.

I did the wrong side of the Plaq check list

and another odd Topps

!

Al

Rats, again

Al
  • muffinsmuffins Posts: 469 ✭✭✭
    edited July 10, 2017 9:48AM

nice stuff!

My favorite Mick auto circa 1987.

:D

• ugaskidawgugaskidawg Posts: 882 ✭✭✭
    edited July 10, 2017 12:38PM

Al - that stuff is killer. I always love seeing your collection. You have emailed me that scan of the Plaks before with Yaz sitting next to him in the front of the class. Love it.

James, Mike, Doug, and everyone else, some serious cardboard being shown!

Muf - I am pretty sure you have some sweet Mantle stuff that fits in perfectly with the group above ;);)

My step son has one 66 Mantle PSA 1 that a buddy gave him when the little guy first got into collecting. Still very appreciative of that kind gesture! The guy seems like a pretty good guy ;)

I have a number of raw Mantles in my Topps set runs, but no graded ones. I did however pick up my coolest Mantle item not too long ago. An original negative of him tipping his cap to a crowd at Yankee Stadium...

ETA: It is not just some great cardboard being shown! Love all the items.

• ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭

Always proud to show my mantles:

The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection
    edited July 10, 2017 1:53PM

DAMN Clock, those are AMAZING!!!!

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
    edited July 10, 2017 2:04PM

Below is the custom card used as my Avatar. Past member DORAN made this for me. The card is ~7"x10" and the signature was from the inside cover of the paperback "THE MICK", which I purchased on eBay six years ago. Probably one of my favorite sports items that I own.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

https://caimages.collectors.com/psaimages/26029/24688626/51mantle3psadna.landscape.jpg> @ugaskidawg said:

Muf - I am pretty sure you have some sweet Mantle stuff that fits in perfectly with the group above ;);)

i'll contribute. heres a lowbudge post rundown...tried old school http post but didnt work:

eta: dont know why it put them in that order when selected in yearly chronological. i tried though.

and agreed on the "other than cardboard" aspect of this thread!!

an original copy of a golf contract:

and buttons from mm jeans. make great golf ball markers:

Every time I check out this board I am amazed at the stuff people have acquired. Great stuff to look at for sure. Love the run of Auto Mick cards - extremely impressive!

KC

Unreal amazing on the auto collection. Simply awesome

• ugaskidawgugaskidawg Posts: 882 ✭✭✭
    edited July 11, 2017 2:00PM

@ugaskidawg said:

@muffins said:

i'll contribute. heres a lowbudge post rundown...tried old school http post but didnt work:

That's more like it...I knew they would look good on this thread.

• originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭✭

Amazing Mantle items, one and all! The centering on some of these, and those auto cards. Amazing. I've always preferred a vintage ballpoint sig vs. a sharpie, so really fun to see those (they're all gems of course.)

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

For you Mantle collectors looking for other MM collectibles. I don't know if you are aware of this. There is a Mantle/Maris early 1960's radio that comes onto Ebay and other auction house sites from time to time. Might be of interest to you Mantle collectors. Google Mantle/Maris radio for more specifics.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
    edited July 12, 2017 7:23AM

a different looking '63. almost 54ish looking...

and speaking of '54 topps...the si edition:

and on a card w a hof rc from '54:

edited July 12, 2017 6:55AM

few more randars:

• Doug wins

• originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 14, 2017 8:52AM

These aren't of the high caliber of some of the Micks others have posted, but I love them! :smile:

If they don't post, I'll try and attach them Monday. :smile:

• Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some Mantle stuff I kept after leaving the card collecting hobby.

• initialDinitialD Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭

@Downtown1974 said:
    Some Mantle stuff I kept after leaving the card collecting hobby.

Dang Bob, say it ain't so! There's got to be that shoebox still with the "Cards in the Attic"
    Loved that thread, I remember when you switched over from toploaders to CS's to make more room. One of my favorite collections here

• Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Bill! How have you been?
    I'm sorry to say...yes - that box of raw vintage was the last to go. For the past few years I have been dabbling in the precious metals world. I ended up getting an offer that I couldn't refuse for the cards. I took the money from the cards and converted the cardboard into silver and gold. Sometimes I think of re-entering the hobby but I don't know at what capacity. Good to hear from you and I hope you are well!