Home Precious Metals

Gold crystal or crystal gold

cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

Comments

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

crystal piece of gold

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• bigzesteebigzestee Posts: 129 ✭✭✭

It looks like a piece from a kid's science rock kit that is supposed to look like gold.

BST references several

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

photoshop

• cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:
    photoshop

I do believe those are individual crystals of gold.

• element159element159 Posts: 493 ✭✭✭

Looks beautiful!

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cohodk said:

@bronco2078 said:
    photoshop

I do believe those are individual crystals of gold.

Probably one crystal run through the fractal tool

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have heard of crystallized gold... saw a picture once... .That 'looks' fake to me.... @cohodk...can you tell us more about it? Cheers, RickO

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is a picture of crystallized gold as I have seen before....
    https://youtu.be/tCetp2k4o4A

Cheers, RickO

• cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    I have heard of crystallized gold... saw a picture once... .That 'looks' fake to me.... @cohodk...can you tell us more about it? Cheers, RickO

Don't have any additional info. It came up in a geology website I frequent. I does look like many other gold crystals I've seen though. I don't know how big it is.

• Mission16Mission16 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭

That looks to be a lab grown crystal. Kinda cool but doesn't look like a natural specimen.

When I collected mineral specimens, I had a few small (very small) gold and silver crystal structures. Very beautiful.

• WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭✭

So a crystal would grow in a pocket where the cooling gold was not mixed with quarts, I guess. Happens naturally, but rare to find a pocket unless hard rock mining by hand.

My favorite reads are of gold rush stories of old. One spoke of a hard rock mine in CO that opened up into a room encrusted in crystal gold. I want to believe it and can just imagine it. I can also just as easily imagine pockets hiding crystal gold getting bulldozed in strip mines everyday in NV. Round mtn. Mine has a lot of crystal.

I suppose they could lab grow gold crystals someplace but it dies occur naturally and if natural the op pictured one would be worth a lot for sure.