Home Precious Metals
Options

Is it just me....OR

cmanbbcmanbb Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does this Silvertowne Bar look ..........off?
I don't recall seeing a Silvertowne poured bar with "raised devices", I've only seen them stamped into the bar.
OR are my eyes playing tricks on me???

Comments

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your eyes are playing tricks on you. It's an optical delusion. The bar is fine.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    mt_mslamt_msla Posts: 815 ✭✭✭✭

"optical delusion" lol

Insert witicism here. [ xxx ]

• Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭✭✭

looks OK to me. If you're really worried, just take your power drill and drill a small hole in it using a small drill bit and see what comes out.

• Options

I've never seen a silvertowne bar with raised lettering, hallmark etc..etc..only stamped into the bar. Still not sure what to make of it.

I do not own this bar. Saw it on eBay

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sure looks like raised letters/numbers.... did you ask the seller?? They usually reply... Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said:
    Sure looks like raised letters/numbers.... did you ask the seller?? They usually reply... Cheers, RickO

I did not, I'll do just that ricko......

• Options

Sellers response

__New message from: jcsgold (22,614)

All lettering & numbering is stamped into this bar. Thanks for asking_****_

I still see raised letters etc....

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's an optical illusion. Usually when you look at the pic turned upside down the optical illusion disappears.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    bigzesteebigzestee Posts: 129 ✭✭✭

The angle and darkness of the photo is what makes some of it look raised.The white around some of the letters or numbers is from where it's been stamped down into the bar.It amazes me that sellers don't use nice bright clear photos it makes things much easier.

BST references several

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool picture, it's stamped in. It looks raised when i zoom, but reverts back to looking normal to me at regular size.

Many coin photos, if taken a certain way, can produce this illusion.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    edited July 7, 2017 8:17AM

Left eye looks raised, right eye can't tell......lol

• Options

Upside down picture you can see the indentation in the bar where the stamp was pressed down.The bar is good but the seller has a crappy photo.

BST references several

• Options
    NVUNVU Posts: 284 ✭✭✭

Looks raised to me, even dots look pointed when zoom in.

• Options

@NVU said:
    Looks raised to me, even dots look pointed when zoom in.

Zooming in creates the illusion.Those dots are actually blemishes since it's a poured bar which makes the surface not perfectly smooth.A well lit clean photo will get rid of the illusion caused by darkness and angle.

BST references several

• Options
    NVUNVU Posts: 284 ✭✭✭

Maybe or maybe not......
    Left dot shows wear on high point. no wear on right dot however

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've seen this with certain coin pics. It's a mind-f**k for sure!
    Then all of a sudden it looks normal. It's weird for sure. This one however looked normal to me from the start.

• Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭

Can you take a picture from an angle to try to show the raised lettering? Looking straight on it clearly looks stamped INTO the bar...but you're saying the stamping is raised from the surface of the bar? I don't see that at all.

To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options

@piecesofme said:
    Can you take a picture from an angle to try to show the raised lettering? Looking straight on it clearly looks stamped INTO the bar...but you're saying the stamping is raised from the surface of the bar? I don't see that at all.

The bar is being offered on eBay. I was looking at it last night and thought I saw raised lettering etc...
    Depending on the view, how I zoom in on it, I see both stamped into and raised.

Anyway, seller says it's stamped into the bar and I have no reason not to believe him.

• Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    edited July 7, 2017 10:02AM

oh ok, thought you had it in hand. Looks stamped into the bar to me for what it's worth lol

To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options

@cmanbb said:

The bar is being offered on eBay. I was looking at it last night and thought I saw raised lettering etc...
    Depending on the view, how I zoom in on it, I see both stamped into and raised.

Anyway, seller says it's stamped into the bar and I have no reason not to believe him.

There's a few others listed that you get the raised illusion when zooming in but far away looks right.The illusion is greater on the darker bars zooming in but still a nice bar and it's sitting at a good price.

BST references several