Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Neat new pick-up

TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 6, 2017 8:46AM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

While being covered from head to toe in drywall dust from the renos in the new house, my phone happily chirped that I won something at the recent Aureo sale. The coin is a neat variety of the Mexico portrait 8 Reales I haven't seen before, nor read about in the catalogues. I sent a note to a few fellow collectors of the series to see what they think.

Seems to be an 1820 with a digit 1 showing under the 2. Possibly an overdate. Once I get it in-hand, I'll be able to see if there's any remains of the 9 under the 0.

The hunt for new undocumented varieties continues...

Comments

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

I never tire of seeing Mexican coins!
    That's a cool example!

• Options

Thanks @asheland .

Here's another possible new variety currently at PCGS. It looks like it might be a TH over HJ over-assayer. The same reverse die was listed as an over-assayer by Cayon about 5 years ago in one of their sales (first picture). What makes me doubtful is that there were quite a lot of the TH dies around as can be seen by all the discovered HJ over TH varieties as far as 1811. So why would they use a newer HJ die and recut it back into a TH? It's a neat coin either way and I think I was also able to match to an existing HJ reverse die, but we'll see what PCGS says.

Cayon

Comparison to mine

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool! :)

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,877 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    edited August 10, 2017 9:54AM

PCGS deemed the 1809 to be a non-variety. [shakefist]

I'm yet to receive my Aureo win to confirm the overdate and It's been about 5 weeks.

• Options
    TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭

Still nice coins

Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • Options

@TheRaven

Thanks.

The 1820 is finally in and it does look like a 2 over 1. Neat - first one for me.

My photo equipment is still packed, but i got a decent shot of the date with my phone shooting through a loupe.

• Options

Going back to that 1809 - I was checking Calbeto's "Compendio" to see if there was a photo of the Mexico 1811 8 Reales "small crown" variety and noticed that he had documented the 1809 variety above. What I thought was a "TH over HJ" is documented by Calbeto as "La T del Ensayador es J rectificada" or "T in the assayer initials is a re-cut J". I am still not convinced that's anything but die damage, but it's neat to see that Calbeto also thought there was something there.

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sweet !!! :)

Timbuk3