Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Gary Adkins Elected ANA President

In the contested election for ANA President, Gary Adkins defeated Mike Ellis by a vote of 3274-2007.

The Governor candidate who did not get elected was Adam Crum.

Thanks,
Greg

Greg Lyon, ANA Board of Governors 2011-2017 -- The views represented here are my own personal opinions and do not represent those of the American Numismatic Association.

Comments

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always enjoy stopping at Gary's table and he seems to treat folks right. I'm sure he deserves congratulations and condolences. ;)

• Options
    AnalystAnalyst Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭

I am surprised that Adam Crum was not elected.

"In order to understand the scarce coins that you own or see, you must learn about coins that you cannot afford." -Me
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

This was one of the toughest elections I can remember...there were too many people I actually knew.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    GregLGregL Posts: 470

Vote totals for Governor:

Col. Steve Ellsworth, Ret. 4,335

Dr. Ralph Ross 4,073

Greg Lyon 3,953

Paul Montgomery 3,860

Thomas J. Uram 3,679

John. W Highfill 3,653

Brian Hendelson 3,474

Adam J. Crum 3,378

Greg Lyon, ANA Board of Governors 2011-2017 -- The views represented here are my own personal opinions and do not represent those of the American Numismatic Association.
  • Options
    BIGAL2749BIGAL2749 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭✭

Gary tends to have coins with old fashion quality and has always been a pleasure to deal with

• Options
    dbtunrdbtunr Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

surprising how low the vote totals are. 5200+ seems low to me.

• Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 5, 2017 12:37PM

Yay team!

• Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats to you @GregL .

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,893 ✭✭✭✭✭

As long as dealers run the show, we are in good hands.

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,096 ✭✭✭✭✭

We got it right!

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

Voter turnout was at 27.65% (5371 votes from 19,425 eligible members). That seems to be a higher percentage than in previous elections, IIRC, which is good news. What is surprising is that eligible voting membership has dropped below 20,000. That seems to be down more than 1/3 from a decade ago.

Let's see if this Board of Governors can increase ANA's relevance.

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 5, 2017 11:52PM

@astrorat said:
    What is surprising is that eligible voting membership has dropped below 20,000. That seems to be down more than 1/3 from a decade ago.

It sounds like Gary, the Board, and the entire staff may have their jobs cut out for them.

Does the ANA have membership targets?

• Options
    BGBG Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrat's to Gary.

I voted for Mike.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations to Gary.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    FunwithMPLFunwithMPL Posts: 328 ✭✭✭
    edited July 6, 2017 4:45AM

Congrats to Thomas Uram ----- Carl

Collector
  • Options

@Zoins said:

@astrorat said:
    What is surprising is that eligible voting membership has dropped below 20,000. That seems to be down more than 1/3 from a decade ago.

It sounds like Gary, the Board, and the entire staff may have their jobs cut out for them.

I am not sure what ANA's plan is for increasing membership, or ... and this may be heresy ... if the ANA should focus on increasing membership at this time. It used to be that each new member cost the ANA approximately 60% more than the membership dues (renewals were less costly).* The trouble was that there was a large turnover of members each year. The ANA could recruit, but not retain, members. Despite this knowledge, the Board insisted on increasing new memberships because it looked as if the ANA was creating a broader reach into the public.

*From internal data disclosed to staff in 2006

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 6, 2017 6:50AM

Agree that the total membership has declined by one-third in the last fifteen years or so.

I'd hate to speculate about the average age of the membership.

Just like this election, there is a big issue of 'is the ANA a collector or dealer focused organization?'.

Also, the location of the ANA is wonderful for the staff and the relatively few members who can get out to Colorado Springs regularly. But the location has a lot of drawbacks too, many things that tend to defeat the "national" part being a of "national organization".

• Options
    edited July 6, 2017 8:57AM

@BillDugan1959 said:
    Just like this election, there is a big issue of 'is the ANA a collector or dealer focused organization?'.

I'm starting to think it's a dealer focused organization. Gary used to be President the PNG and I've heard of some PNG influence in this election. Nothing wrong with that if members want a dealer organization, but a collector focused organization would be useful for the hobby as well.

Also, the location of the ANA is wonderful for the staff and the relatively few members who can get out to Colorado Springs regularly. But the location has a lot of drawbacks too, many things that tend to defeat the "national" part being a of "national organization".

I thought the ANA was more meaningful when it was on the East Coast and working with Congress, the Treasury and the Mint. I've suggested the ANA open a D.C. Office or have another organization take up the task for working with our government. These may not happen but I think it would be more exciting for collectors if they did.

• Options
    GreeniejrGreeniejr Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭

@Zoins working with the government on issues is more ICTA's purview. That being said, Gary is a former chairman of ICTA (Gary has completed his triple crown) so he is actively involved with government issues as well.

• Options
    edited July 6, 2017 9:17AM

@Greeniejr said:
    @Zoins working with the government on issues is more ICTA's purview. That being said, Gary is a former chairman of ICTA (Gary has completed his triple crown) so he is actively involved with government issues as well.

I'm referring to what the ANA used to do with consulting Congress and the Treasury/Mint on new coinage and materials. The ICTA does not cover those areas to my understanding.

• Options
    GreeniejrGreeniejr Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭

@Zoins for the most part no but for those things there is also the CCAC. All of these organizations do have crossover.

• Options
    edited July 6, 2017 10:48AM

@Greeniejr said:
    @Zoins for the most part no but for those things there is also the CCAC. All of these organizations do have crossover.

CCAC is much more limited than what the ANA used to do. They are focused on design and do not cover manufacture the way the ANA used to. The ANA used to have access to lot of expertise that I don't believe exists with the composition of the CCAC today.

The ANA also represents the ANA membership in a way the CCAC does not.

Here is their the CCAC Mission and Purpose, emphasis mine:

Mission and Purpose of the CCAC
    https://www.ccac.gov/

The CCAC was established in 2003 by Congress under Public Law 108-15 to advise the Secretary of the Treasury on the themes and designs of all US coins and medals. The CCAC serves as an informed, experienced and impartial resource to the Secretary of the Treasury and represents the interests of American citizens and collectors.

• Options

@astrorat said:

@Zoins said:

@astrorat said:

I am not sure what ANA's plan is for increasing membership, or ... and this may be heresy ... if the ANA should focus on increasing membership at this time. It used to be that each new member cost the ANA approximately 60% more than the membership dues (renewals were less costly).* The trouble was that there was a large turnover of members each year. The ANA could recruit, but not retain, members. Despite this knowledge, the Board insisted on increasing new memberships because it looked as if the ANA was creating a broader reach into the public.

In the business world, we would look to increase renewal rate. Did the ANA not do this?

• Options
    JohnFJohnF Posts: 273 ✭✭✭✭

Congratulations to Gary Adkins and the rest of the incoming Board!

John Feigenbaum
    Whitman Brands: President/CEO (www.greysheet.com; www.whitman.com)
    PNG: Executive Director (www.pngdealers.org)
  • Options
    JJSingletonJJSingleton Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations to all involved.

Most interesting voting stat to me is:

"Out of 5,371 total votes, 4,000 were cast by paper ballot while another 1,371 members voted electronically, representing over 25 percent of votes cast—a marked improvement from the 8 percent cast electronically in 2015."

It was so simple to vote online it is mind boggling to me that the membership is so technologically challenged that 4000 members mailed it in.

Joseph J. Singleton - First Superintendent of the U.S. Branch Mint in Dahlonega Georgia

Findley Ridge Collection
    About Findley Ridge

• Options
    dbtunrdbtunr Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

@astrorat said:
    Voter turnout was at 27.65% (5371 votes from 19,425 eligible members). That seems to be a higher percentage than in previous elections, IIRC, which is good news. What is surprising is that eligible voting membership has dropped below 20,000. That seems to be down more than 1/3 from a decade ago.

Yikes!! those are terrible stats. How many of the 19K+ are dead (ie deceased lifetime members)?

• Options

@Zoins said:

@astrorat said:

@Zoins said:

@astrorat said:

In the business world, we would look to increase renewal rate. Did the ANA not do this?

The ANA struggled with retaining members (or renewing members) because many of the Board member's philosophy was that once you become a member, the reasons to stay a member are obvious. The disconnect was that many of the new members joined because of an inducement, such as a free coin or other trinket. Or, the membership was a "free gift" from some dealer, auction house, etc, as part of a promotion. The Board, by and large, could not recognize that the inducement increased new members, but the lack of connection by the ANA with the new member (i.e. relevancy) lead to the new member not renewing. Unless, of course, there was another inducement.

At headquarters we had a colloquial expression for this ... by using inducements, we were apologizing for people becoming members. The ANA struggled to increase membership based on the organization's mission, so we used trinkets and hoped it would be enough.

I asked a question at a staff meeting that nearly caused people to seize ... I asked, "Why would somebody want to join the ANA." Funny thing was ... the only answers mentioned reflected the "things" people got as members and nothing about the mission of the organization. It was at that point that I recognized membership would not grow, nor should it grow, without a change in how the ANA engaged its members and the public.

Enough of my soapbox ...

Numismatist Ordinaire
  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,028 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillDugan1959 said:

If you haven't been to a Summer Seminar, then you just won't get it (the location). And it is centrally located within the country.

• Options
    tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations to Gary, The few times I visited his booth he was always cordial. I thought the quality of his coins and the prices were fair. Hope he is a successful president.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• Options
    edited July 6, 2017 3:31PM

@dcarr said:

@BillDugan1959 said:

If you haven't been to a Summer Seminar, then you just won't get it (the location). And it is centrally located within the country.

Oh please. I've been to seven ANA Summer Seminars - if not for those experiences, I would have dropped my very long-time membership years ago. Also went rather far out of my way to visit the headquarters perhaps three times before I ever attended a Summer Seminar.

A serious "national" membership organization would be located in say Rosemont, IL or Pentagon City or Crystal City or Arlington, VA. In other words, near a major airport. How far is it from the Denver airport to Colorado Springs? An hour and one-half on a good day? Denver is centrally located, Colorado Springs isn't.

• Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭✭✭

The number of coin collectors that don't belong to the ANA overwhelm the numbers that do. Not including investors, US Mint customers, etc.

Can't blame them.

I am a life member .....

• Options

ANA probably has 225,000 living former members.

• Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am a member of both the ANA and ANS. The only benefit I get from either is the magazine. The ANA's magazine is monthly; the ANS's magazine is quarterly. For an extra fee, I also get the Colonial Newsletter from the ANS. The ANS is substantially more expensive than the ANA. Even so, I think I get more pleasure from the ANS. Virtually all the articles I read in the ANS magazine are fascinating--well written and well researched. Too much of the ANA's magazine seems filler, such as the newly touted price guide that takes up a useless 7 pages in the current issue. And even the articles sometimes seem more of an advertisement than article, as Kagin's article about Bechtler territorial gold, coincidentally printed just before his firm conducted the March ANA auction that was anchored by a fantastic collection of ... wait for it ... Bechtler territorial gold.

Mark

• Options
    tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillDugan1959 said:
    ANA probably has 225,000 living former members.

Make that 225,001

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• Options
    edited July 6, 2017 6:11PM

@astrorat said:

@Zoins said:

@astrorat said:

@Zoins said:

@astrorat said:

The ANA struggled with retaining members (or renewing members) because many of the Board member's philosophy was that once you become a member, the reasons to stay a member are obvious. The disconnect was that many of the new members joined because of an inducement, such as a free coin or other trinket. Or, the membership was a "free gift" from some dealer, auction house, etc, as part of a promotion. The Board, by and large, could not recognize that the inducement increased new members, but the lack of connection by the ANA with the new member (i.e. relevancy) lead to the new member not renewing. Unless, of course, there was another inducement.

At headquarters we had a colloquial expression for this ... by using inducements, we were apologizing for people becoming members. The ANA struggled to increase membership based on the organization's mission, so we used trinkets and hoped it would be enough.

I asked a question at a staff meeting that nearly caused people to seize ... I asked, "Why would somebody want to join the ANA." Funny thing was ... the only answers mentioned reflected the "things" people got as members and nothing about the mission of the organization. It was at that point that I recognized membership would not grow, nor should it grow, without a change in how the ANA engaged its members and the public.

Enough of my soapbox ...

That's interesting and it makes sense. I wonder how many ANA board members have experience running a successful subscription based business. If they don't have this experience, perhaps the staff should have more leeway?

I hope this is something Gary can help tackle.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file