Home Precious Metals
Options

Info needed on an old 10oz Bar

Has anyone ever seen one of these? Google has nothing and several big old pour collectors haven't ever seen one.

Mark Brown

Hoard the keys

Comments

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do not know it. Looks like one of the Hunt Brothers era wildcat bars.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    mrkbrown87mrkbrown87 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:

Who are they?

Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mrkbrown87 said:

@CaptHenway said:

Who are they?

Google "Hunt brothers silver"

• Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭

@mrkbrown87 said:

@CaptHenway said:

Who are they?

Wow! :o

To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options

@piecesofme said:

@mrkbrown87 said:

@CaptHenway said:

Who are they?

Why not just explain? I heard of the pizza guys lol

Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

If no one has heard of them, then likely no collector interest, so melt or below would be a fair price. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭

Spot - $2 minimum...

keceph `anah
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

It would probably be bought at a considerable discount from spot. Unknown makers = low trust level.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

@mrkbrown87 said:

@piecesofme said:

@mrkbrown87 said:

@CaptHenway said:

Who are they?

Why not just google the Hunt Brothers?

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    cmanbbcmanbb Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 3, 2017 8:11PM

@mrkbrown87 said:

@piecesofme said:

@mrkbrown87 said:

@CaptHenway said:

Who are they?

Just for you @mrkbrown87

Beginning in the early 1970s, Hunt and his brothers William Herbert and Lamar began accumulating large amounts of silver. By 1979, they had nearly cornered the global market.[8] In the last nine months of 1979, the brothers profited by an estimated $2 billion to $4 billion in silver speculation, with estimated silver holdings of 100 million troy ounces (3,100,000 kg).[9]

Primarily because of the Hunt brothers' accumulation of the precious metal, prices of silver futures contracts and silver bullion rose from $11 an ounce in September 1979 to $50 an ounce in January 1980. Silver prices ultimately collapsed to below $11 an ounce two months later.[10] The largest single day drop in the price of silver occurred on "Silver Thursday."[2] In February 1985 the Hunt brothers were charged "with manipulating and attempting to manipulate the prices of silver futures contracts and silver bullion during 1979 and 1980" by the United States Commodity Futures Trading Commission.[2]

In September 1988 the Hunt brothers filed for bankruptcy under Chapter 11 of the Federal Bankruptcy Code largely due to lawsuits incurred as a result of their silver speculation.[2]

In 1989, in a settlement with the CFTC, Nelson Bunker Hunt was fined US$10 million and banned from trading in the commodity markets as a result of civil charges of conspiring to manipulate the silver market.[2] This fine was in addition to a multimillion-dollar settlement to pay back taxes, fines and interest to the Internal Revenue Service for the same period. His brother made a similar settlement.

• Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭

Welfare at its finest...

keceph `anah
  • Options

@rawteam1 said:
    Welfare at its finest...

What do you mean by This?

Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options

@CaptHenway said:

@mrkbrown87 said:

@piecesofme said:

@mrkbrown87 said:

@CaptHenway said:

Who are they?

Why not just google the Hunt Brothers?

I did later that evening. I was driving from Maryland to Louisiana so I couldn't at the moment.

Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options

During the Hunt Brothers bubble, so much physical silver was being refined to meet the demand needed to honor contracts that the major refineries were backed up for months. Rarcoa in Chicago was air freighting the silver they bought to Switzerland to be refined.

• Options

In this void many "wildcat" refineries sprang up to melt silver and make bars. Exact fineness sometimes a bit off.

• Options

They are collectible in the sense that everything is collectible, but demand is not high.

• Options

@CaptHenway said:
    In this void many "wildcat" refineries sprang up to melt silver and make bars. Exact fineness sometimes a bit off.

Cool I love learning new stuff. I bought this for little over spot so I was just curious as to it's origin

Mark Brown

Hoard the keys