Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

"PL" Cheerios Dollar?

CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

Over on the Bay of E there is a Cheerios dollar certified ATS as "MS67 PL."

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201965810138?ul_noapp=true

I have never heard of one of these being designated "PL." Has anybody here ever seen one so designated, or seen a coin they thought was PL?
TD

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Comments

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

ATS uses PL on lots of coins that our host does not.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

Was it removed from the Cheerios cardboard before submitting? Is that why no "Cheerios" on the label? Is it worth that price without the Cheerios on the label?

bob:)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,842 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 30, 2017 1:05PM

Prototype reverse ? Wouldn't that be "First Reverse", as we have come to designate/attribute coins ?

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

But is it worth $7400?

not to me.

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭

Every one I've seen is somewhat PL. Unless this one is strongly PL, I wouldn't get too excited by the designation.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AUandAG said:
    Was it removed from the Cheerios cardboard before submitting? Is that why no "Cheerios" on the label? Is it worth that price without the Cheerios on the label?

bob:)

Don't know. Remember that the first time I wrote about these, having seen one at a press conference in Chicago in October of 1999 and then noticing that the ones that came out in January were different, nobody knew that they had been used in the Cheerios packaging. It wasn't until later that I came up with the theory that the Cheerios coins must have been struck in advance and might have the prototype reverse, which Braddick confirmed with his coin.

It is possible that some of the press conference coins might have survived through whatever means, and since they were never in the Cheerios packaging it is proper to call one not submitted in a Cheerios holder a "prototype" coin, or whatever, rather than a "Cheerios" coin.

TD

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have looked at a lot of these 2000P Sacs... none are the special variety.... I keep checking yard sales...one will turn up eventually... I did open a roll I had just to check, no luck there. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file