Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How does this happen?

MonsterCoinzMonsterCoinz Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 30, 2017 12:14PM in U.S. Coin Forum

This is a big reason why I may let my membership expire and just submit with big name dealers.

www.MonsterCoinz.com | My Toned Showcase

Check out my iPhone app SlabReader!

Comments

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭✭

People will pay crazy money for tone / color...but not that kind of crazy money!

Our host seems to consider that all coins of a specific grade are worth the same money...no matter the tone / color.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options

@oih82w8 said:
    People will pay crazy money for tone / color...but not that kind of crazy money!

Our host seems to consider that all coins of a specific grade are worth the same money...no matter the tone / color.

? The coin jumped from MS66 to MS67+FB.

• Options

Doh! I did not see that.

On coinfacts it is still a MS66 (81764079)...unless it was crackout??? Or is it that the dealer thinks it's a MS67+???

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options

Crackout. The new cert # is 84103133.

• Options
    edited June 30, 2017 12:49PM

That is crazy! Up a full grade and a plus and the bands were sharpened to FB.

The resubmitter got lucky, but its still not worth triple trends.

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 30, 2017 12:57PM

$38 to $2226. And apparently from 66 No Bands to 67+ FB. Wonder how the previous owner/submitter feels?

http://www.pcgscoinfacts.com/Coin/Detail/5059

This 1945-d MS68 FB on CoinFacts is pretty. But quite a few facial ticks and then that "swirly" thing on her neck....which could be a mix of toning/scuffing. Not sure.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

It doesn't mean a big-time dealer submitted it; it simply means that a single data point at one time disagreed with a previous data point from another time and someone was the beneficiary.

I submit very few coins to PCGS, relative to many dealers, yet I receive upgrades on most pieces I submit under the regrade, reconsideration and crossover tiers. You need a good eye and a feel for how a TPG is grading at any given time to do this with consistency over the years.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    basetsbbasetsb Posts: 508 ✭✭✭✭

It would seem the bands are either full or they aren't. I'm not understanding what happened here.

@basetsb_coins on Instagram

• Options
    cnncoinscnncoins Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭

It looks like you sold it before it was in its final resting place. Even the best graders sell coins which eventually get upgraded.
    Many of the desiginations - FB, FH, FBL, PL/DMPL, CAM/DCAM, RD/RB, etc. have 'Liner Coins" which can grade one way or the other on any given day. And although a 1 1/2 point descrepancy seems excessive, it certainly happens from time to time.

• Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pretty coin but no where near $2.2 G's pretty. imo

• Options
    ShortgapbobShortgapbob Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭

It happens and happens somewhat often to all of us.

Best advice is to trust your eye and keep the coins that seen "too nice" for the grade.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -- Aristotle

For a large selection of U.S. Coins & Currency, visit The Reeded Edge's online webstore at the link below.

The Reeded Edge
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is unbelievable.... I cannot believe it will sell for that price.... If it does, and combined with the other threads here showing radical tarnish colors... The coin doctor profession will see a radical surge in membership..... It is so easy to do and so very profitable.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭✭✭

@roadrunner said:
    $38 to $2226. And apparently from 66 No Bands to 67+ FB. Wonder how the previous owner/submitter feels?

http://www.pcgscoinfacts.com/Coin/Detail/5059

This 1945-d MS68 FB on CoinFacts is pretty. But quite a few facial ticks and then that "swirly" thing on her neck....which could be a mix of toning/scuffing. Not sure.

Actually, the other 2 dimes on the CoinFacts link are better IMO. I DO like the color on the first one, but the others are superior in my eyes.

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

RE: "The coin jumped from MS66 to MS67+FB"

The coin remained the same; only the name was changed to dupe the ignorant.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's an "all-right" coin, eye appeal not off the charts.....seller probably just throwing out the trotline, and waiting.
    Why not?

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would be really shocked if it sells ......... the eye appeal is not that great.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

It will be even worse when it is grade inflated into a MS68 FB holder in a couple of years and offered for 4x of the current price. I feel your pain though. I've been there a few times.

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,127 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've had this happen to me a couple of times with Franklin halves. I feel your pain!

peacockcoins

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2, 2017 8:01PM
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2017 8:43PM

@mach1ne

If it makes you feel better, think of the poor sap that was asking $2200 on eBay for this coin when it was in a PCGS MS67 FB holder that is now $15+k in a 68 FB holder.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1945-S-10C-Mercury-Dime-PCGS-MS68FB-CAC-/322573804616?hash=item4b1ae5a448:g:nGEAAOSwiQ9ZVpsW

• Options

A couple of others coins look familiar.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 3, 2017 3:44PM

@cameonut2011 said:
    @mach1ne

If it makes you feel better, think of the poor sap that was asking $2200 on eBay for this coin when it was in a PCGS MS67 FB holder that is now $15+k in a 68 FB holder.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1945-S-10C-Mercury-Dime-PCGS-MS68FB-CAC-/322573804616?hash=item4b1ae5a448:g:nGEAAOSwiQ9ZVpsW

Nice looking coin.

PCGS MS68FB CAC 81630585

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file