Home U.S. Coin Forum

Longacre's last day.

RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 30, 2017 11:52AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Longacre died at 5pm the same day.

Comments

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

The year 1869 is known for numerous repunched dates on U.S. coins, typically in the minor denominations. I would assume that as William Barber and other Engravers below him moved up the ladder in the Engraving Department, an opening developed at the bottom rung and a new Engraver was hired. He then learned how to punch a date while on the job, and the repunched dates ensued.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭

The authors nib needs a tune up. Laying down lots of ink.
    Interesting and thanks.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

When Longacre became incapacitated in December, William Barber made the remaining working dies assisted by his son, Charles, and William Key. The three continued as the engraving staff until Morgan was hired in September 1876 as Special Engraver reporting directly to the Mint Director, and not part of the Philadelphia Engraving department.

Date punches were usually but not always applied by an engraver. Diesinkers did the mint marks and most of the other work. (See From Mine to Mint for more information.)

• BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭✭✭

Roger...............that's excellent info. Sad story, though.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • MarkMark Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RogerB that's a fascinating note (though the heading to your thread immediately concerned me that "our" Longacre, the formally prolific poster, had passed away). It's interesting to notice that the letter was written on Jan 1. Apparently Jan 1 wasn't much of a holiday back then. I presume Thanksgiving was a holiday--do you know what other days were holidays for the workers?

Mark

• mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

What language is this letter written in? Egyptian hieroglyphics? Sumerian cuneiform ? Wadi el-Hol script?

It certainly is not a language I have ever seen.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sad message.... I have not heard the disease referred to as 'typhoid pneumonia' before...usually one or the other. Cheers, RickO

@ricko said:
    Sad message.... I have not heard the disease referred to as 'typhoid pneumonia' before...usually one or the other. Cheers, RickO

See: http://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/article-abstract/471970

RE: Mint holidays, 1869. The usual paid holidays were Christmas Day, New Years Day and Independence Day. But for the Director there were no real holidays when something as important as this needed to be communicated.

Each mint also observed certain state and local holidays, but had to request permission to close from the Director. Philadelphia Mint also closed for a day during Lafayette's visit and sometimes when the President visited the city but not the Mint. There were several days of mourning after Lincoln's Assassination, and I think a Jubilee Day to mark end of the Civil War. But--- check me on this 'cause I'm using old memory cells... :)

edited July 1, 2017 11:37AM

@mustangmanbob said:
    What language is this letter written in? Egyptian hieroglyphics? Sumerian cuneiform ? Wadi el-Hol script?

American English handwriting, moderate to easy level of difficulty. Takes some adjustment, though. :)

• TomBTomB Posts: 20,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

The paper also appears to have suffered from moisture uptake, which no doubt made the ink spread. I don't believe this was an issue with the nib of the pen when written.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RogerB ...Thanks for the link.... Interesting, appears to be a co-mingling when pneumonia is contracted with or due to the typhoid infection. Cheers, RickO

• kazkaz Posts: 9,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

At the time of Longacre's demise, the germ theory of disease was still in its infancy, being worked on by Pasteur and then Koch. It wasn't until the 1880's that bacteria began to be generally seen as causative factors in disease as opposed to the miasmas prevalent since Galen. Thus, in 1869, typhoid would not have been diagnosed by identifying specific bacteria but by a group of symptoms generally found in typhoid victims. Pneumonia would have been diagnosed by findings on physical exam and respiratory symptoms. The article referenced by RWB is from 1901, by then S. Typhi had been identified, and a vaccine developed in 1896.
    Unfortunately for Longacre, there were no antibiotics, no oxygen therapy, all that could be done was wait for the patient to rally and survive, .... or not.

Excellent background info. Helps explain why typhoid was so deadly.

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm just curious, who were the longest serving mint employees of any of the main ones or branches?

• lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mustangmanbob said:

Here's some help.
    Lance.

Hon Hugh McCulloch,
    Secretary of the Treasury

Sir
    James B. Longacre Esq., the Engraver of the Mint, being seriously ill with Typhoid Pneumonia, therefore absent from the Mint. I have pursuant to the 4th Section of the General Mint Law, appointed Mr. William Barber to act as Engraver during the absence of that officer. Mr. Barber is the principal assistant in the Department and is thoroughly qualified for the duties of the office.

Very Respectfully Your
    Obedient Servant
    H.R. Linderman
    Director

edited July 1, 2017 5:36PM

@logger7 said:
    I'm just curious, who were the longest serving mint employees of any of the main ones or branches?

40 years and up was common. Don't know who served the longest, but many died with their boots on and horses saddled. [Charles Barber 1864-1917....maybe some Eckfeldts....others]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file