Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Removing OLD dip residue toning

DrPeteDrPete Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭

I recently came across a roll of 1899 Morgan dollars that I believe were "dipped" with Jeweluster in the early 1970's. Most have splotchy toning that in some areas is very dark. Most also have toned rims, as well. I surmise that the coins were dipped and improperly rinsed. A few are undamaged and look to be MS 64-65. Anyone have experience with trying to properly conserve or fix such a problem? My guess is that any toning that old will not come off, or if so will leave very uneven luster.

Dr. Pete

Comments

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Need photo. Most silver coins with brown dip staining that developed due to improper "conservation :wink: " will come right off with no damage.

• Options

Here are a few images, including the blue-toned rims of a few and the whole roll.

Dr. Pete
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,916 ✭✭✭✭✭

An acetone bath/soak would not hurt.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 30, 2017 1:16PM

Ouch, Some of those look pretty far gone. About the only chance I know of is if they will survive another dip.

• Options
    georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭

Take the baggiest one and try re-dipping

• Options

@georgiacop50 said:
    Take the baggiest one and try re-dipping

I was thinking that wouldn't hurt. The coins are sort of "ruined" and are common dates in mint state. There is little downside, but I was hoping to find out if anyone has done this.

I do know the dipping was done 40 years ago.

Dr. Pete
  • Options

By the way, the coins were individually dipped and then put into 2 x 2 cardboard "mylar" holders where they have been for 40 years. I took them out of the 2 x 2's and put them in a roll.

Dr. Pete
  • Options

Just dip them! You know, I'm going to take that back as the coins look nice. IMHO, you are between a rock and a hard place. These are not the normal dip stains as they have been on the coins a very long time - possibly etched the surface.

These coins need to be "prepared" before the acid dip. Instruction in this type of conservation is far beyond my expertise to share. If they were mine, I think most could be saved. They are not so...

1, Take the lightest toned coin and dip it. Make sure to neutralize it. Dry with hot air or compressed air. If the surface is not frosty white as the rest of the coins, STOP. They are far beyond your help.

If it works, you can try another. However, the coins are probably not worth professional conservation so... The best advice I could give you is to take your profit and sell the coins as is. Let the dealer who buys them find out if they are etched under the stain.

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are canidates for sale to the smelter.

• Options

NO WAY...They look BU! I'll guarantee many can be fixed, just not worth the cost. :wink:

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think you meant to say 1889. 1899 would be a whole different story!

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dip and flip.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options

Yes, these are 1889 NOT 1899. Yes, a BIG difference.

Dr. Pete
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TomB said:
    Dip and flip.

This.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Give one a dip.... Not sure what you have ...MS70, Coinserve....You have two choices... try to remove the residues or sell as is.... Certainly will not hurt to try. Send one to me, I will see what can be done.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,868 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder if an electrolytic reaction would remove dome of the residue toning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xKcGGyt6FI

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

If they were mine, I think I would experiment and practice dipping. Worst case... bullion...

I will be interested to see some after photos if you try.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

Re-dip and rinse thoroughly!

• Options
    CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

Only option is a re-dip with proper rinse. unless that toning has gone terminal. the you'll always see it.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 1, 2017 7:36AM

Zombie thread. Wonder what the result was.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file