Home Metal Detecting
Options

First time out....I may get hooked.

Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

My family and I just got back from a camping trip at a state park in central MA. We met up with a couple of friends of ours who were spending the week there as well. My buddy brought his metal detector to do a little hunting with. My daughter who is 12, thought it was the coolest thing to dig up old coins and jewelry that had been buried for years. I used to own a metal detector in my late teens but never really took to it.
My friend let us borrow it while we were there and I must say....my daughter and I had a blast. I located the items, we took turns digging and she used the pin pointer. Although we didn't find too much, we had a great time together and it was a great way to get her disconnected from her phone.

Our findings: 6 Lincoln pennies
2 dimes ( no silver)
Pull tabs, tent stakes, bottle caps, zipper, hair pin.

Now that we are home, we have talked about buying our own. After doing some research, I'm leaning towards the Garrett Ace 300. Seems like a good entry level detector.
You may be seeing a lot more of me around here.

Comments

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

Garrett 300 is a good machine.

But, check out White's.
    All excellent machines.

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is a great hobby and real fun to do with children...they like to dig.. :D The Garrett is indeed a good entry machine... However, I agree with Treashunt...White's would be my recommendation - maybe for your second machine then...because I know you will get hooked... ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was considering going with Whites. That's the brand of detector I had in the past. I'm pretty fortunate to have a Whites dealer approx. 10 minutes from my house. I'll look into it and see what they offer for an entry level detector.

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 30, 2017 11:22AM

@Downtown1974 said:
    I was considering going with Whites. That's the brand of detector I had in the past. I'm pretty fortunate to have a Whites dealer approx. 10 minutes from my house. I'll look into it and see what they offer for an entry level detector.

go to Whites electronics, check them out there, and then talk to him

https://www.whiteselectronics.com/product-category/metal-detectors/

also, if you are 'dirt fishing' get a good digger-- worth it and easier on your arms.

If beach hinting, get a scoop -- important.

also:

try to join FMDAC.org
    http://www.fmdac.org/

if you are near Gettysburg, consider entering the hunt in October 28 & 29, 2017 in conjunction
    with the Autumn Civil War Show

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    basetsbbasetsb Posts: 508 ✭✭✭✭

Happy hunting! hardest part will be finding locations to go

@basetsb_coins on Instagram

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let us know what detector you decide upon.... and I agree with Treashunt... accessories are important. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BigpoppasBigpoppas Posts: 241 ✭✭✭
    edited July 3, 2017 3:20PM

@Downtown1974 said:

I purchased for my friend a Garrett Ace 250 used for $150 and it included the pinpointer. It was for him to use with his 10 year old daughter . It's super lightweight and has discrimination and a ID screen . They paid for it before the summer was over and he went on to get hooked .

Definitely a great hobby especially after that first great recovery , because then the hook is set :)

Good Luck !!