Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

LordM's "Eclectic Box" (formerly "Box of 20"), as of June 22, 2017

lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 27, 2017 8:20AM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Trying to format a full repost over here would be a nightmare, but please do take a peek at my collection and newps over on CoinTalk, if you're so inclined. I know I've been much scarcer over here since last fall, but I still respect the opinions of members on this site above all others.

I think the "Eclectic Box" has come a very long way in its evolution since I first posted it here four years ago.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    BSBS Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭

Wow, that"s a very nice group of coins.

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 27, 2017 1:30PM

Love seeing the progression of that set, LordM!

It's so nice it brought Brett out of hiding! :)

• Options
    PatARPatAR Posts: 347 ✭✭✭

Sweet! Love that Corinth stater! :)

• Options
    stevereecystevereecy Posts: 203 ✭✭✭

Amazing coins! Hey, I remember a long time ago you were also collecting holey coins. You still doing that?

Really enjoying collecting coins and currency again

My currency "Box of Ten" Thread: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1045579/my-likely-slow-to-develop-box-of-ten#latest
  • Options
    cecropiamothcecropiamoth Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ever changing, but always awesome lordmarcovan! Nice seeing an attractive Pillar Dollar in there. Can never go wrong with one of those.

Jeff

• Options

@stevereecy said:
    Amazing coins! Hey, I remember a long time ago you were also collecting holey coins. You still doing that?

I quit that in 2013, but have just restarted. I'm replenishing my trademark hat, but it will be only interesting love tokens like this - not just plain old "holeys".

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options

@cecropiamoth said:
    Ever changing, but always awesome lordmarcovan! Nice seeing an attractive Pillar Dollar in there. Can never go wrong with one of those.

Jeff

Thanks, Jeff. I'm glad you approve, 'cause I had to give up a nicely toned PR65 CAM 3cN for that AU50 Pillar dollar. So the deal was not made without some trepidation.

• Options

@lordmarcovan said:

@stevereecy said:

I quit that in 2013, but have just restarted. I'm replenishing my trademark hat, but it will be only interesting love tokens like this - not just plain old "holeys".

Wow, I guess I have been away longer than I thought! Well, it seems I've picked up on one of your collecting methods. It's probably better that my collection resides in a box of 20 than pinned to my hat. At least I think so, but I only know one person who is in a position to expound on that. :)

My currency "Box of Ten" Thread: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1045579/my-likely-slow-to-develop-box-of-ten#latest
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2017 12:51PM

@stevereecy said:

@lordmarcovan said:

@stevereecy said:

Wow, I guess I have been away longer than I thought! Well, it seems I've picked up on one of your collecting methods. It's probably better that my collection resides in a box of 20 than pinned to my hat. At least I think so, but I only know one person who is in a position to expound on that. :)

When I sold my holey collection as part of my 2013 "Great Purge", I rolled the proceeds from that and the other collections I sold into this (then just newly-begun) " Eclectic Box of 20". That collection has been my primary focus ever since, and has evolved into the one linked above.

I've enjoyed the "freestyle" aspect of B20 collecting. What's in yours?

• Options
    edited June 28, 2017 6:05PM

Eh, not much. I started a thread on it. I've only got three coins in it right now...a 1953 Rhodesian Proof Crown (PF64 Cam) which is a key of the Queen Elizabeth Visage Crowns , a 2017 Virgin Islands $10 Proof Pegasus round (500 minted) and a 2014 Proof Train "Tickey" from South Africa (less than 600 minted).

For reasons that are probably distasteful to talk about in this group, I'm trying to restrict myself to coins I can get a good price on and newer key and/or low mintage issues. But they must be beautiful and interesting. Since I've got 17 coins to go, I'm not being overly picky on what I put in there because if it's in the box, then I should have got a good deal on it (won't lose money) and I'm allowed to upgrade later anyway. The "gut check" will occur when I have 20 coins and need to sell one to replace it. Has that happened to you yet?

The "Great Purge". Heh, I guess I'm going through that too. As I get older, I've come to the conclusion that I'd rather have less items that are more desirable to me than a bunch of items that belong in a cigar box. I've found that when I have time to sit down with my collections, I tend to just enjoy my nicer items anyway...I don't look at what's in the cigar box and I keep finding things I forgot about so I obviously didn't care enough about them to remember them. Two nights ago I found a really nice bust half dime that will fund a cool darkside coin or comic book. I've been purging my comic book collection in a similar method for the last year or so and I'm finding I'm happy with that.

Steve

• Options
    PBRatPBRat Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭

Nice work on the box. I think I've said it before, but it's worth repeating ... I really like that Aethelred penny.

• Options

@stevereecy said:
    Eh, not much. I started a thread on it. I've only got three coins in it right now...a 1953 Rhodesian Proof Crown (PF64 Cam) which is a key of the Queen Elizabeth Visage Crowns , a 2017 Virgin Islands $10 Proof Pegasus round (500 minted) and a 2014 Proof Train "Tickey" from South Africa (less than 600 minted).

For reasons that are probably distasteful to talk about in this group, I'm trying to restrict myself to coins I can get a good price on and newer key and/or low mintage issues. But they must be beautiful and interesting. Since I've got 17 coins to go, I'm not being overly picky on what I put in there because if it's in the box, then I should have got a good deal on it (won't lose money) and I'm allowed to upgrade later anyway. The "gut check" will occur when I have 20 coins and need to sell one to replace it. Has that happened to you yet?

The "Great Purge". Heh, I guess I'm going through that too. As I get older, I've come to the conclusion that I'd rather have less items that are more desirable to me than a bunch of items that belong in a cigar box. I've found that when I have time to sit down with my collections, I tend to just enjoy my nicer items anyway...I don't look at what's in the cigar box and I keep finding things I forgot about so I obviously didn't care enough about them to remember them. Two nights ago I found a really nice bust half dime that will fund a cool darkside coin or comic book. I've been purging my comic book collection in a similar method for the last year or so and I'm finding I'm happy with that.

Steve

Sounds like you've had some similar experiences.

You ask if the "gut check" on reaching 20 pieces and then having to sell one for each new addition had happened to me yet? Well, yes, several times, but for four years I held steady at 20. To add one, I'd have to drop one. I've learned some material detachment. After all, it was the Great Purge of 2013 that got the Box of 20 started.

How strong has that resolve been to stay the course and continue to limit myself to just 20 pieces?

I direct you to look no further than the title of this thread for that answer. ;)

• Options
    PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

A wonderful progression though time, and a beautiful selection of coins to highlight that journey...outstanding!

• Options
    edited June 29, 2017 9:56PM

@lordmarcovan said:

@stevereecy said:

Steve

Sounds like you've had some similar experiences.

You ask if the "gut check" on reaching 20 pieces and then having to sell one for each new addition had happened to me yet? Well, yes, several times, but for four years I held steady at 20. To add one, I'd have to drop one. I've learned some material detachment. After all, it was the Great Purge of 2013 that got the Box of 20 started.

How strong has that resolve been to stay the course and continue to limit myself to just 20 pieces?

I direct you to look no further than the title of this thread for that answer. ;)

Gotcha. Still, you holding steady at 4 years took some resolve. Hey if you can constrain based on self-imposed rules, then you make up rules as you go along, right? Then let me throw out the concept of "retiring" a box, and starting on another one. I mean, if the box is exactly where you want it, then why not? Maybe a box should be retired after you've swapped out a certain percentage of the coins. Or perhaps when the box reaches a certain value?

All that being said, it's readily apparent that constraining yourself to 20 coins has resulted in a spectacular collection. It wouldn't be so amazing if you didn't take the 20-coin limit seriously. And the constraint of having to trade out would, eventually, force the collector to dabble in higher priced coins than they might ordinarily collect (beyond their comfort zone)....and I see that as a good thing.

For me personally, when the box of 20 gets so valuable that I worry about carrying it from Point A to Point B, then truly...starting another box could make sense. But that will be a while. And I have other collectibles and expensive hobbies that will slow down the process. I'm one comic away from putting together a run of 9 comicbooks that is effectively like the box of 20 because I constrained myself to those 9 books, so I found really nice ones and I may even upgrade them eventually.

Nice, nice coins you have there!

Steve

• Options

@stevereecy - you're spot-on with that last post. I think one can indeed make up one's own rules, as long as there is a little bit of self-discipline. The whole freestyle "Box of 20" concept is liberating, in that there are few rules, and the only real hard rule is the limit on the number of coins. But yes, once one reaches a certain point, it gets harder and harder to let go of nice pieces, and in those situations, I do think "retiring" a box and starting another might be a good plan for some people.

I just expanded a little bit, to 25, but plan to stick with that limit a little while. Will I later expand to 30 pieces? 40? Maybe, but only gradually, I think, when my "Box of 25" set has reached a level of quality where I'm totally satisfied with everything in it and it would be hard to sell any without pangs of seller's remorse. That's about the level I'd gotten to with my (ex-) Box of 20, so a small expansion was in order.

I had been using a 25-slot aluminum slab box for the last year or so anyway. Used the extra slots for stuff in transition, my magnifier, etc. Now I've just filled those five extra slots with coins.