Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Barber Dime Variety of the day.....

DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is a 1898-S PCGS62 with repunching on 1 and 8 on the date. The 1 shows real good the 8 is harder to see, but can be seen in hand. You can click on pic to enlarge. Thanks for looking and comments are always welcome.

Comments

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have so much respect for the folks who collect and identify these varieties or die marriages. Truly, I would have neither the inclination nor the patience to do so, but I find it fascinating.

The repunching on the 1 is obvious and the 8 harder to see, as mentioned, but is there something going on with the open lower loop of the 9, as well?

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    KoinickerKoinicker Posts: 289 ✭✭✭

Which 8 is repunched - there be two of them!?

• Options

@TomB said:
    I have so much respect for the folks who collect and identify these varieties or die marriages. Truly, I would have neither the inclination nor the patience to do so, but I find it fascinating.

The repunching on the 1 is obvious and the 8 harder to see, as mentioned, but is there something going on with the open lower loop of the 9, as well?

Thanks Tom....I don't see anything on the 9 in hand with a 16 power loop.

• Options

@Koinicker said:
    Which 8 is repunched - there be two of them!?

The first 8 at bottom.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice strike...appears to be dark...is your white balance off?

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options

@oih82w8 said:
    Nice strike...appears to be dark...is your white balance off?

John....the coin has a beautiful tone that is on the dark side. I tried to adjust the camera to get as close to the actual coin as I could.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

You have a better technique than I do...my images have lots to be improved on.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice find... I can see both of the re-punched numbers.... I am always surprised at the technical issues you find... Of course, you are a professional with a focus on dimes... I would say you do very well... Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file