Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What Would be a fair price to sell ? Silver eagle

1998 silver eagle ms70, it went up 20% last week, Thanks as Always!

Comments

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm guessing that since you have a grade of MS70 associated with it that the piece is certified, is that true? If so, much of the value will depend upon who certified it. Regardless, your best bet on this type of material is to check completed ebay sales (not listings) to see what actually sold and at what level.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    newcollectnewcollect Posts: 205 ✭✭✭

I should have mentioned it is PCGS,i did check ebay and found none its a low pop and im guessing most are in reg sets and don't come up often.I did find one that sold at HA but that sold sometime ago, thanks

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 24, 2017 12:42PM

This does seem like a difficult one to price. NGC 70s have sold recently on ebay and heritage in the 800-1000 range.
    PCGS examples have not sold in the last 3 months on ebay and the last Great Collections sale was for $3,410 in 2013.
    I would guess it's still a $3,000+ coin. Maybe contact Great Collections or @wondercoin for more info.

http://www.pcgscoinfacts.com/Coin/Detail/9929

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

That sounds like a great silver eagle. Can you post pictures?

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 24, 2017 1:35PM

Current PCGS Price Guide is $3750.00 I'd start a BIN at $5000.00 with best offer enabled.
    And have a real for sale price based on the my cost orginally in my mind.

• Options

That 3750.00 was the old price the new price is 4500.00 on the PCGS Price Guide. Here's A picture from my iphone imagine what it looks like in hand(simply gorgeous)

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 24, 2017 4:27PM

The PCGS price guide changes depending on where you look. While it does show up in 2 places as $4500....on the month to month price history chart it shows at $3750. One would think this information should all be linked and therefore consistent. This appears to be the only ASE date in MS70 that shows up on the "major change" chart. Why would just this date rise 20% in one month?

It spent the 2nd half of last year at $4500, then dropped to $3750 for the first half of this year. I can only guess why the swings in both directions. There may have been a recent transaction that prompted this change. But since all MS70's are not alike, or as flawless as one another, there's no easy way to know how any one stacks up against the other 32 coins....unless you've seen most of the 33 coins.

http://www.pcgs.com/pricehistory#/?=9929-70

On a different view, what did the mint do around 2007-2008 to make MS70's much more common than they had been in previous years? And why are the 1986-2001 dates have miniscule pops? Is that from Packaging? Mintages? Minting techniques/QC? or all of the above?

This one at Heritage back in 2013 at nearly $5,000 has a couple dozen milk spots, some reverse dark spots, and other faint "issues" such as light porosity areas in drapery folds....which could be mint made.

https://coins.ha.com/itm/modern-bullion-coins/1998-1-silver-eagle-ms70-pcgs/a/1184-5197.s?hdnJumpToLot=1x=0&y=0

This NGC MS70 has a few ticks on sun and shield.

https://coins.ha.com/itm/a/1231-9402.s

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice coin.... should bring a good price.... I did not know these had hit such lofty levels.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

The jump in price from MS-69 to MS-70, for many of these earlier issues, is astonishing.

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options

@astrorat said:
    The jump in price from MS-69 to MS-70, for many of these earlier issues, is astonishing.

It sure is. $45 to $4500 on the 1998. And scarcer dates go even multiples higher. The MS61-69 grade range is completely wasted on the jump from melt to $45 (MS69). All those 9 points are really needed from $45 to $4500.

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭✭✭

From the images you provided your coin looks better than this $4,994 piece on Heritage: coins.ha.com/itm/modern-bullion-coins

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 25, 2017 9:11AM

I would put it in eBay store at $4500 BIN - make offer with auto reject (for low ball offers) set on $3400.

It's amazing how some of these soar at 70 but perhaps some wealthy registry hobbyist might buy it.

At a show it probably would be only one in the room question is who would spend big money on that when 69 around $45 would nicely fill hole. Good luck in finding them. Your chore is finding a real live buyer who would pay anywhere near $4500. As for me absolutely no interest the 69 works just fine for me.

One thing for sure like brightest star in globular cluster it would certainly brighten ones online store / display case at coin show.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

Makes me wonder about the criteria and caution/deliberation in the grading room, with so much vastly at stake in the MS69 to MS70 jump for these issues. Much has been written here about the difficulty telling the difference, how some 70s appear flawed, etc. etc.

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭✭✭

newcollect,

I would advise not to get too optimistic on the $4,500 estimate. The PCGS price guide and the auction results are not updated much in this series, and they tend to overstate what registry collectors will pay in many cases. A real nice one sold for $2,500 a month ago and it does not show up in the PCGS results or price yet. The guide will probably drop some more when the recent sales show up. These all depend on if two people really want it and aggressively bid against each other, then the price can go high. If the key collectors already have one, the price can drop a lot the next auction. Populations of these are slowly rising so if you are not a collector, I would advise selling it sooner than later.

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

Before 2000 or so, a lot of these are pretty banged up. Finding a 70 really is pretty tough.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 27, 2017 9:45AM

Certainly there are non certified pieces out there which can make 70 and swell the pop driving the price down on this issue. Furthermore anyone who knows anything about coins is that unfavorable tarnish can affect slabbed coins over time.

If u have a 70 in this issue - get rid if it. Take the money and run if your lucky enough to find a buyer lol. A nice slabbed 69 at $45 will fill the hole just fine. Furthermore I know from years on the bourse that the buyer who would pay even $3400 for this issue is probably rarer than the ussues themselves.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Keep in mind that the value of these is entirely based on the plastic. The same coin, raw, would probably bring less than $50.

Don't get greedy. Find a buyer now and take what will be a very nice profit.

Will the "70" craze still be around in ten years or will logic have finally prevailed?

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Will the "70" craze still be around in ten years or will logic have finally prevailed?"
    Seems to still be alive and well at the auctions I've watched latley and in some cases outbid on.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LindeDad said:
    "Will the "70" craze still be around in ten years or will logic have finally prevailed?"
    Seems to still be alive and well at the auctions I've watched latley and in some cases outbid on.

But will this still be the case in 10 years? I have my doubts.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 27, 2017 11:36AM

That's a lotta dough! Congratulations on your windfall profits :) If you decide to sell your of course.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    Bankerbob56Bankerbob56 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭

I guess we don't really know what he/she has invested in the "coin" do we??!!

What we've got here is failure to communicate.....

Successful BST xactions w/PCcoins, Drunner, Manofcoins, Rampage, docg, Poppee, RobKool, and MichealDixon.
  • Options

Holly Cow thanks for all the wonderful comments and opinions!
    This is what i got out of it, this coin was minted almost 20 years ago and having a MS70 survive in monster box or roll is slim. If you truly look real hard at one of these graded @ MS70 by other TPGS Guess what there are none that i inspected that meet the grade,I Saw spots,nic's,scratches,rim dings,etc. Thats why PCGS is the Best not only for the money but the grade the coin deserves.

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd dump the 70 and roll it into a bunch of raw/rolls of ASE or some gold.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

Collectors are nutty. I suspect it's what I love about them.

• Options
    edited June 28, 2017 8:43AM

@291fifth said:
    Keep in mind that the value of these is entirely based on the plastic. The same coin, raw, would probably bring less than $50.

Please crack out all the pre-2003 PCGS MS70's you find.....and send them to me for $100 each.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file