Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

UNIQUE Morgan Error

CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

This belonged to a friend who wanted something I had so a trade was made :smile:

It's a large "struck through previously struck fragment" error. A delaminated piece of the morgan struck before this one, in this case part of the wreath leaves and olive leaf, delaminated after the strike and landed on this coins planchet before the strike and imprinted itself on to the coin during the strike. I've never seen one so large with so much detail transferred! Last 2 pics show the stikethru and area where the lamination wold have been on the previous coin for perspective... Anyway, thought I'd share a unique error. ENJOY!

The more you VAM..

Comments

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 22, 2017 6:08PM

Although really cool, there are many such mint errors in the Morgan Dollar series. Strike throughs are pretty common. Conditions at the Mints were not the most pleasant and wood was used for everything including heating, smelting, packing, shipping and so you find "wood" strike throughs pretty often (I suspect that yours is such).

bob:)

PS: I see we disagree on what was struck though. Lamination you say? Okay, sounds good.

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Years ago I got one with wood still IN it.
    I wish I hadn't picked at it. It came out but it was interesting. Part of the piece was charred.

• Options
    PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is way up there on the coolness factor Chris. I like your Morgan a lot!

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,813 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin!

• Options
    AmazonXAmazonX Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭

Pretty cool

• Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

excellent!

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very interesting... have not seen one like that before.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    EXOJUNKIEEXOJUNKIE Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 23, 2017 8:46AM

I like your error and congrats on acquiring it, but technically every error is "unique" since no two are exactly alike. "Unique" is one of the most overused words in the hobby IMHO.

I'm addicted to exonumia ... it is numismatic crack!

ANA LM

USAF Retired — 34 years of active military service! 🇺🇸
  • Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 23, 2017 9:06AM

Great coin, Wish it were mine. It is "unique." By the title, I had hoped to see something really, really, really special. :(

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool!

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

wow, thats a nice pick up

• Options

@Insider2 said:
    Great coin, Wish it were mine. It is "unique." By the title, I had hoped to see something really, really, really special. :(

Well we can't all own a broken CC

The more you VAM..
  • Options

@CoinsAndMoreCoins said:
    Neat. Morgans and their crazy no rhyme no reason grading. Plenty exist graded 2+ points higher having reverses that appear to have been run through the sausage grinder compared to this one's.

The obverse carries the grade on Morgans, which I didn't post. It is graded correctly.

@CoinsAndMoreCoins said:
    I'm trying to decide on its VAM name, Eagle Careless With Matches, Smokey The Bear Upset or Does An Eagle Poop In The Woods.

The error has nothing to do with the VAM. It is a VAM 3DQ which is a scribbles variety

The more you VAM..
  • Options

@CascadeChris I should warn you, er, ah... I hope you know what you are doing.

• Options
    GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

@EXOJUNKIE said:
    I like your error and congrats on acquiring it, but technically every error is "unique" since no two are exactly alike. "Unique" is one of the most overused words in the hobby IMHO.

Many die errors can produce hundreds or thousands of coins that are exactly the same. Some striking errors also produce the same coins over and over due to a mechanical issue going uncorrected or reoccuring over time.

• Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭

Cool coin and glad to be able to see the detailed pics.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinsAndMoreCoins said:
    Why does this "strike-though" look like something bizarre going on in the form of some crazy wreath leaves doubling or maybe some cannabis induced reverse to reverse die clash something or another?

Does anyone else see something besides merely a strike-though likely and possible?

I'm now going with WTF VAM.

Somebody needs to read the OP. :)

• Options

@CoinsAndMoreCoins

IMO, the OP is very clear. Look at the image of the leaves in the wreath (bottom coin w/o strike-thru). Note the leaves are fat in the middle and pointed at the ends. Now, move your eyes up to the top photo. This one is posted at a different angle so it is really difficult for many to easily see. Look for the fat part of the leaf next to the "N" and see how it comes to a point above that letter. That is one of the leaves.

Let me know if you still don't see it. Now, If you can put into your own words in a post on this thread what caused this "defect" and how it happened...you'll educate a lot of folks here who also didn't see it. :)

• Options
    CyndieChildressCyndieChildress Posts: 429 ✭✭✭

@topstuf said:
    Years ago I got one with wood still IN it.
    I wish I hadn't picked at it. It came out but it was interesting. Part of the piece was charred.

Wow! That's cool.!!
    :smiley:

• Options
    edited June 24, 2017 4:40PM

@CoinsAndMoreCoins said:
    There is no "bottom coin w/o strike-thru".

This reads to be a strike through from the remains of a layer of formed laminate that manage to hang on although out of position and seemingly retained its form/relief when striking the next coin.

Sorry, I forgot something when I tagged you. I should have written: "Look at the image of the leaves in the wreath on the normal coin (bottom coin without strike-thru). ..."

You are right, the way I posted it was too hard for anyone to understand. :(

• Options

@topstuf said: "Years ago I got one with wood still IN it. > I wish I hadn't picked at it. It came out but it was interesting. Part of the piece was charred."

That would have been an extremely rare struck-thru. I've been looking at Morgans for a long time and never saw a charred one. IMO, the only way it could have been charred is if the saw blade became pinched and the friction burnt the sawdust. Sawdust is just that, no telling where it came from or how it was delivered to the mint. Where's ROGER!!

Your post brought up a funny memory from Summer Seminar in the 1980's. The female instructor told her class that the black carbon spots (common on Morgan dollars in 2x2's having holes in the center film) on dollars was made when any sawdust left on the planchet became burned off during striking leaving a charred spot behind. Oh My...ROTFL! As I recall, that was the last year she was asked to teach the Basic Grading Course.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file