Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Smartest Person in the Numismatic World

GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am specifically leaving this ambiguous to encourage all types of responses. Excluding yourself, who in your opinion is the smartest person in the numismatic world? Can be a collector, author, dealer, etc.

Comments

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 22, 2017 6:00AM

I'd vote for Jim Halperin. Not necessarily because of his IQ as I don't know what that is. Coin hobby IQ's are not posted anywhere. He left Harvard shortly after getting there to form his rare coin firm in the early 1970's. Co-builder of Heritage in the 1980's. Futurist and visionary. Author. Possibly the best grader in the world at his prime. "Smart" can be defined in many ways though. I like to think of it as a summation of many human traits, not just "book" or "math" or "street" smarts or how much $$ you've made.

Breen was pretty smart...though not likely to get many votes. Colonel Jessup is so smart that I have to break out a thesaurus after every one of his posts.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options

Iwog.

• Options
    KellenCoinKellenCoin Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭✭

Eric Newman

YN Member of the ANA, ANS, NBS, EAC, C4, MCA, PNNA, CSNS, ILNA, TEC, and more!
    Always buying numismatic literature and sample slabs.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭

The guy who pays "top dollar" at his shop.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let me know who wins. I'll buy the book after it's published.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

As the first poster wrote: "Smart" can be defined in many ways though. I like to think of it as a summation of many human traits, not just "book" or "math" or "street" smarts or how much $$ you've made. "

Their are just too many "smart" numismatists and some who would qualify are dead. It would be much easier to make a top ten or top twenty list. Some of the "smartest" numismatists - successful in life and numismatic authorities in their field would be unknown to perhaps 99.5% of the posters here.

@roadrunner said: "Colonel Jessup is so smart that I have to break out a thesaurus after every one of his posts."

I'm glad to know I'm not alone!

Breen, Salzberg, Bressett, Newman, Halperin, Grunthal, Bowers, Hubbard, blah, blah, blah...etc. I'll say many posting on CU would even qualify if we factor out wealth and fame. I don't wish to highjack the thread so all things considered, darn this is hard to pick one. I'm going to wuss out of a choice

@CoinsAndMoreCoins said: "Insider2, if you don't believe him or her, ask him or her."

Not funny, I would not be the "dot" on the "I" of Halperin. Perhaps you should get over your affliction with me and learn from those here who know more about coins than you ever will. :)

• Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭✭✭

Among the hobbies dealers there is no shortage of smart dealers.

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 22, 2017 8:11AM

Saintguru!

Sometimes his biting wit masked his true genius, but he became expert in his series in a short time and was broadly versed in many subjects beyond numismatics.

• Options

Saintguru!

Who he?

• Options

Let's all use "eidetic" in a sentence before looking it up in the dictionary. :)

1. My grandmother has an EIDETIC leg.
    2. Every woman at the party liked the EIDETIC design of the dress.
    3. The EIDETIC notes she took from the class were of no use to my on test.
    4. If not for his EIDETIC formula, the lab would have burned down.
    5. I offered the EIDETIC collector a low-ball price for his coins.
    6. ???

I'm going to educate myself now. You'll need to look up the word on your own.

• Options

What happened? That word disappeared from the post and my dictionary! :(

• Options

@Insider2 said:
    Saintguru!

Who he?

When you go to church, do you ask who God is?

• Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭

Eidetic memory or not, there aren't many dummies in the coin game.

Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    YouYou Posts: 141 ✭✭✭

You.

• Options
    Peace_dollar88Peace_dollar88 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭

Roger Burdette. His books are full of information. He has a plethora of knowledge.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Gazes said:

Excluding yourself, who in your opinion is the smartest person in the numismatic world?

I know several coin dealers that would claim that title. ;)

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am the OP but let me throw in John Pittman who was the subject of a short article in Coin World this week which highlighted is incredible memory and knowledge of numismatics.

• Options

@Coinstartled said:

@Insider2 said:
    Saintguru!

Who he?

When you go to church, do you ask who God is?

No, I take his existence on faith. Nevertheless, when someone posts the word "God" most know Who it refers to no matter what they believe or what faith/religion they follow. Even an atheist recognizes that Word.

I'll ask again...Who is Saintguru? Hopefully, the more informed members than I will know and respond.

• Options

Check the thread that I bumped up for you.

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

I dunno, I guess it depends on where you are sitting.

A few have a broad knowledge of everything to do with numismatics. Some specialize in only one type of coin. Some specialize in old coins and perhaps the history of old coinage. Some specialize in modern coins. Some specialize in error coins. Error coins are my field so I look to Fred and Tom as super smart guys.

• Options
    edited June 22, 2017 10:10AM

@Coinstartled said:
    Check the thread that I bumped up for you.

I'm sorry to be so stupid...really. I have no idea what a bumped up thread is and don't see any blue links.

• Options

Thanks, I remember reading this thread recently. It should be very easy to ID the "Saint" with a single phone call when I get the time. Now that I need to do actual "work" I am less interested in who he is.

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ColonelJessup said:

@roadrunner said:
    I'd vote for Jim Halperin. Not necessarily because of his IQ as I don't know what that is. Coin hobby IQ's are not posted anywhere. He left Harvard shortly after getting there to form his rare coin firm in the early 1970's. Co-builder of Heritage in the 1980's. Futurist and visionary. Author. Possibly the best grader in the world at his prime. "Smart" can be defined in many ways though. I like to think of it as a summation of many human traits, not just "book" or "math" or "street" smarts or how much $$ you've made.

Breen was pretty smart...though not likely to get many votes. Colonel Jessup is so smart that I have to break out a thesaurus after every one of his posts.

I am painfully over-educated, have a broad-ranging garbage-can memory and certainly over-qualify as a multi-talented idiot-savant :p

Jimmy Halperin is all @roadrunner avers. And lots of interesting more. Has been known to hang out with Stan Lee. Really big mind without a big head. :) Droll sense of humor. Certified multi-platform genius B)

There are several candidates here.

Up until last year this was an easy question but Herb Hicks (ProofArtWorkonCircs) has died.

I always suspected John J Pittman was pretty sharp but tried to hide it. Now days there are lots of contenders and we'll be able to see better when they've passed on. Numismatics seem to attract savants of many stripes and especially idiot savants.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some of the smartest people in the world drive common cars, live in modest houses, have unimpressive jobs, and live quiet lives. Not all smart people chose to parley their knowledge into wealth, notoriety, or other esteemed symbols of success.

It just might be some guy in Louisiana stuffing Lincolns from circulation into albums for the pure enjoyment of it.

:)

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BryceM said:
    Some of the smartest people in the world drive common cars, live in modest houses, have unimpressive jobs, and live quiet lives. Not all smart people chose to parley their knowledge into wealth, notoriety, or other esteemed symbols of success.

It just might be some guy in Louisiana stuffing Lincolns from circulation into albums for the pure enjoyment of it.

No doubt.

And some people try to stay far below all the radars.

The "average guy" has always run the world anyway so why not be 'Joe six pack". It's easy to look smart and even easier not to.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    edited June 23, 2017 4:16PM

@BryceM said:

:)

@cladking said:

@BryceM said:

No doubt.

And some people try to stay far below all the radars.

The "average guy" has always run the world anyway so why not be 'Joe six pack". It's easy to look smart and even easier not to.

I understand the sentiment expressed in these posts; however, I disagree that either of these "numismatic giants" would even get on a list of the top 20,000 "smart" numismatists. Additionally, IMO, very many of us here would know even less about the field than the folks you both mentioned. :wink:

• Options
    erickso1erickso1 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭

Broadstruck, Dr Mikey, Justacommeman, Greg Bingham.

For Commems, those are my go to minds/eyes.

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LindeDad said:
    Probably a guy or gal that got out long ago.

Absolutely. The Sellers are the smartest people in the Numismatic World today.

• Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭

Jim Halperin

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

My vote would be Pogue, Newman, and the other big fish who left the hobby before Titanic hits the iceberg.

• Options
    BIGAL2749BIGAL2749 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭✭

I'm not smart enough to know .

• Options
    BigMooseBigMoose Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭

My vote would go to JD, John Dannreuther. He is as smart as the day is long and as nice a person as you could ever hope to meet.

TomT-1794

Check out some of my 1794 Large Cents on www.coingallery.org
  • Options
    BigMooseBigMoose Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭

I would give another vote to Tony Terranova. He knows more about Colonials, Early Copper, and U.S. Coins in all series than anyone I have ever met in Numismatics.

TomT-1794

Check out some of my 1794 Large Cents on www.coingallery.org
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2017 3:59PM

See, too many to mention. I forgot about JD and TT. I wish we could each nominate 10 - 20 and no rankings of who's the best as it would be impossible.

:( What about those who cannot hear the music before? Maybe pick them as notable in each decade.

• Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would say Tom DeLorey and David Alexander. They always beat me at The World Series of Numismatics.

The person I always go to for information is JK.

Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2017 5:13PM

Who is JK? Kern?

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 22, 2017 6:12PM

JK is a savant and well rounded to boot with a wicked sense of humor . Not a bad pick at all

Martin Logies ain't too shabby either

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 22, 2017 7:23PM

JK = John Kraljevich, 2016 ANA Numismatist of the Year.
    He's known for writing highly accurate histories for the big coins in major auctions, among other things.
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/602567/an-ending-a-beginning-john-kraljevich-americana/p1
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/comment/11519313/

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are clearly some brilliant numismatists who have also excelled in other fields. For me really smart, brilliant, fully human would involve a totally comprehensive knowledge base with the ability to fully utilize it if also wealthy for the benevolent benefit of the maximum number. Someone with comprehensive recall who has read most of the books on the Adler Van Doren book list. There used to be plenty of people like that, not so much these days when a college degree is the equivalent of what a top high school diploma used to signify for generations.

• Options

@yosclimber said:
    JK = John Kraljevich, 2016 ANA Numismatist of the Year.
    He's known for writing highly accurate histories for the big coins in major auctions, among other things.
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/602567/an-ending-a-beginning-john-kraljevich-americana/p1
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/comment/11519313/

That was my only other JK choice but I was embarrassed when I couldn't remember how to spell his name! :(

• Options
    privaterarecoincollectorprivaterarecoincollector Posts: 629 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would split it into these categories:

smartest person for
    coin business: Kevin Lipton
    coin grading: Joe oConnor
    serving wealthy clients: Laura Sperber

• Options

Who is this? Coin dealer? TPGS grader?

• Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 23, 2017 2:36PM

Lots of ways to slice it - best grader, best researcher, best trader, best writer, best executive, best cataloger, etc.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

PCGS founders.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file