Home Metal Detecting
Options

1914-D Lincoln!!

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭✭

Got around to checking the wheat cents from the other day. Saw what looked like "1914" then a small raised mark... then saw that raised mark was a D! She's a bit beat up, but my first scarcer wheat cent. Any suggestions for cleaning? I do have those Andre's Pencils that might be worth a shot.

Comments

• Options
    KollectorKingKollectorKing Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats!!

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

A lot better than the one I don't have!

bob:)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭✭

I dug a 1914 today. I'll have to check it more closely. Olive oil will help that coin.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

First give it an acetone soak.... that will loosen/remove all organics. Do not wipe it with anything... to remove stubborn dirt, ROLL a Qtip across the area.... rinse with alcohol and then warm running water. Show a picture when that is done and I will see if there is anything further to recommend...(i.e. olive oil as Bayard posted). That is a great find.... Congratulations... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS details, net AG03

• Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭

What an exciting find! Key date!
    Congrats!
    Thanks for sharing!

Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,512 ✭✭✭✭✭

way cool, congrats

• Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like it was AU or better when lost. Key date too! congrats.

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭

Lots of detail on that one, can't wait to see photos of it cleaned up! How about the old put it in a potato overnight soak? -Not to harsh a method.

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great.

Tip:
    When I dirt detect I keep a small pill bottle with the filled with water.
    Any thing good: Wheaties, Indians and silver go into the bottle.
    The dirt encrusts quickly as it dries off. Keeping it wet will let you clean it better when you get home.

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options

@Treashunt...That is an excellent tip.... I used to do the same when I coin hunted... also kept a couple bottles of water for drinking and plug replacement... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    @Treashunt...That is an excellent tip.... I used to do the same when I coin hunted... also kept a couple bottles of water for drinking and plug replacement... Cheers, RickO

Thank you

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is my 14-D from a one room school site

• Options

Wow... very nice PPC... that coin should clean up nice... alcohol soak and hot water rinse to begin with... Cheers, RickO