Home U.S. Coin Forum

Finally found a 1921 Peace I liked...

CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 19, 2017 5:26AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Been looking for a nice MS62 Peace Dollar and have been watching this one for a while. Finally pulled the trigger. Looks like a strong strike coupled with fairly clean surface and a little tone. I decided the hits on chin area I can live with. Please give your opinions.

Comments

• mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭

Everyone has their "I can live with" coin distractions. I can't live with big hits on major devices and carbon/black spots.

• abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wish it were blast white with none of those hits on the chin and fields. Then I'd buy it as an MS62.

• MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

I too like the toning. I too though do not like those hits in the areas that my eye is most drawn to.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Shoot. I'll buy ALL blast white, perfect field, no hits 1921 Peace Dollars for 62 money. :)

• BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

@topstuf said:
    Shoot. I'll buy ALL blast white, perfect field, no hits 1921 Peace Dollars for 62 money. :)

Don't forget strong strike!

Nice coin.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Peace_dollar88Peace_dollar88 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it!

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice overall High Relief Peace Dollar!

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice! Great strike and luster. Yeah the marks can be a bit distracting but for a 62 it is a super coin IMO.

K

ANA LM
  • Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,145 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice for a 62 - the strike more than compensates for the little marks.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,810 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin. Bottom line is what you the buyer thinks of the coin.

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks nice! I saw that one listed and was very tempted to buy it, I was worried there would be something that didn't show in the trueview since it looks nicer than 62. Let us know how it looks when you get it!

Collector, occasional seller

• @ChrisH821 said:
    I was worried there would be something that didn't show in the trueview since it looks nicer than 62.

Ding ding ding!

:*

• Geckster109Geckster109 Posts: 231 ✭✭✭

I could never enjoy owning a coin with those marks....but im glad you like it!

• koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Considering the coin's other attributes, especially the strike and color, I would certainly welcome that coin into my collection.

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad you finally found what you were searching for , congrats :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,679 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin!

• BGERRISHBGERRISH Posts: 74 ✭✭✭

I really like your HR Peace the strike is outstanding and the color is original.

• epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

@TomB said:

The milling marks may be more obvious than one would want on a coin

What are the mill marks you describe?

Round sweep 7-11 in field obverse?

Did 1921 peace blanks get a secondary process? I always that it was blank it and smack it.

• coinhackcoinhack Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭✭

@epcjimi1 said:

@TomB said:

Did 1921 peace blanks get a secondary process? I always that it was blank it and smack it.

epcjimi1 beat me to it. I was just about to ask the same question. What milling marks are you looking at?

• morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unless I'm missing something, how is this a 62? Appears to be a lock for a 64 imo. I would resubmit, way to clean for a 2.
    Is the hit on the chin considered a focal point?

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • panexpoguypanexpoguy Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it is a good strike and I like the subtle toning too.

• BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

Better strike than most. Strike over marks (if you can live with them) is the way to go for this coin, IMHOP.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are better 1921 Peace dollars for sure. There are precious few better ones living in 62 holders. Nicely done.

• RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

A very nice coin and correctly graded (from the photos) based on the prominent reed marks on Liberty's face. Detail is about average, but relief is nicely balanced.

• Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

When you look a little closer, it seems more like a 62. Shot at 63. Nice coin.

-

• ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Peace_dollar88 said:
    I like it!

Me too!
    The 'hits' are part of it's history.
    I think it is beautiful...

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

I count EIGHT gouges. 70 minus 8 is 62. The MS62 grade is correct.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CommemKing...Very nice... that is precisely what I have been looking for....Not sure where you found that one, but good catch. Cheers, RickO

• CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ricko I got it on ebay. It was a BIN. It was on there for quite some time.

• RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

CommemKing -- Also notice the vestigial "fangs" in Liberty's mouth. :)

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

It has the misspelled "TRUST." ;)

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CommemKing ...Darn, I must have overlooked that... or did not go deep enough in the pages...I have looked at the ebay listings... will keep checking. Cheers, RickO

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CommemKing What's the in-hand verdict on this one?

Collector, occasional seller

It looks just as like the trueview. The reed marks on the chin area appear less prevalent as in the trueview. They look bad a 10x, but not so bad in hand. A true MS62. I'm keeping it.

It looks just like the trueview. The reed marks on the chin area appear less prevalent as in the trueview. They look bad a 10x, but not so bad in hand. A true MS62. I'm keeping it.

• crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,801 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a great looking Peace dollar. Great strike to say the least. Great score

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • TomBTomB Posts: 20,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinhack said:

@epcjimi1 said:

@TomB said:

epcjimi1 beat me to it. I was just about to ask the same question. What milling marks are you looking at?

I hadn't noticed folks had a question about my response. Milling marks are those marks left by the reeding of other coins upon impact. I have placed ovals on them in the image below.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Newman1908Newman1908 Posts: 32 ✭✭

I would take it any day nice coin

• TomBTomB Posts: 20,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

By the way, I should give credit to Wabbit2313 for the initial photo crop as I simply stole that image posted previously in this thread and then added the ovals.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,454 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice 62!

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,490 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice strike in that coin for sure, i like

• sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it, especially as a 62.

Yes, it has a few reeding marks but not many other marks overall. If it didn't have those, I presume that it could grade higher.

The strike is quite nice for this high relief date.

Is there some doubling on the first "1" in the date?

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file