Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Anyone going to start sending their coins to PSA instead of PCGS?

illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 16, 2017 4:31PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Saw this one on eBay recently... in a PCGS slab, but graded by PSA using their 10 point scale they use for cards.

Not sure how I feel about this. What do you guys think???

Maybe they are only grading this specific issue as it pretty much copies the 1991 Fleer Nolan Ryan baseball card?

Even then, seems wrong for them to put "Nolan Ryan" on the label for the coin as the U.S. Mint has never made that admission.

I don't like how they don't reference the D mint mark of the coin as it would if it were in a PCGS holder.

Also, what does a grade of PSA 8 mean... is that equal to MS68??? Or is NM-MT closer to AU58???

I think I'll stick with PCGS for now, even if I have one of these 1992 Olympic Baseball commemorative dollars to submit :)

:+1:

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,893 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 16, 2017 4:34PM

;)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not I :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 16, 2017 4:48PM

it might make sense for certain coins, like the one you pictured...but i am not convinced the grading model for cards fits coins. but, perhaps it does to the sports collecting market

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 16, 2017 4:52PM

Coin grading scale is completely different from cards so there is no correlation between the two. A PSA 8 is considered near mint to mint in condition for the card. Coins were included in some packs as inserts which are rightfully graded as such using the PSA 1-10 grading scale, but I've never seen an actual coin struck by the United States Mint in a PSA holder. Personally, I don't believe PSA should holder coins other than those that were struck and produced by Topps.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting indeed! Apparently the same seller on ebay has several in three grades: 7 (sold for $42.50), 8 (available for $85 or best offer), and 9 (available for $100 or best offer).

I wonder if this would be an easier way of selling certain sports related coins? The 1992 goes for $25-$35 in PCGS MS 69 holders. So the lower grade PSA coin went for more than the PCGS example. Something to think about...

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting idea :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

PSA has half grades up to 9

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

Prepping for a new grading scale?

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cameonut2011 said:

PSA actually had .5 grades before PCSS added pluses. That I predicted. Inevitabe. Been waiting for someone to do the CAC thing for cards.

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't like how they don't reference the D mint mark of the coin as it would if it were in a PCGS holder.

It's in a PCGS holder.

, but I've never seen an actual coin struck by the United States Mint in a PSA holder.

It's in a PCGS holder.

It's likely, PSA made the label with advice from PCGS on the grade but PCGS slabbed it.

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do they have a sample slab of one of these for @Lakesammman ? :smiley:

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

@cameonut2011 said:

PSA actually had .5 grades before PCSS added pluses. That I predicted. Inevitabe. Been waiting for someone to do the CAC thing for cards.

mark

I can see a comparable CAC option for higher end cards but the vast majority of holdered coins wouldn't be worth the additional cost. Card collectors aren't happy with any monthly special over $7.00 to grade a card.

PSA has just launched a newly designed flip for greater security to prevent counterfeits, too:

https://www.psacard.com/

I remember when they went to the half point grades about 8-9 years ago. The half grades are not commonly assigned, in my submission experience, at least.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:
    ;)

But stupid

• Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭✭✭

@illini420 said:

Even then, seems wrong for them to put "Nolan Ryan" on the label for the coin as the U.S. Mint has never made that admission.

The mint did eventually admit that the Nolan Ryan card was used as a model for the coin. Heck, they pretty much had to. The card and coin match right down to the folds in the baseball uniform. Not possible to be a coincidence.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder if they'll slab other sports related coins such as the baseball hall of fame commemoratives. The target audience is sports card collectors rather than coin collectors but you can be sure there is an overlap of people interested in both hobbies. This expansion of PSA into coins may result in a small percentage of sports card collectors to get interested in coin collecting.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    EXOJUNKIEEXOJUNKIE Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't like it at all. Furthermore, I think it reflects poor judgement. Coins should have PCGS labels and cards/card-related items should have PSA labels -- period.

I'm addicted to exonumia ... it is numismatic crack!

ANA LM

USAF Retired — 34 years of active military service! 🇺🇸
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's interesting as sports card collectors are already familiar with PSA and their 10 point by scale.

Does PSA have a registry where these coins can appear?

• Options
    BUFFNIXXBUFFNIXX Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭✭✭

This must be a fake pcgs holder but it sure does look real!

Collector of Buffalo Nickels and other 20th century United States Coinage
    a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    It's interesting as sports card collectors are already familiar with PSA and their 10 point by scale.

Does PSA have a registry where these coins can appear?

This is probably just for bullion. And yes there is a Registry for cards.....I think. :o

• Options
    BruceSBruceS Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

IDK, I think I like it, its something different. Does anybody know the pops on these? there cant be too many out there. I may pick one up and throw it in my sample slab collection.

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.
  • Options
    Peace_dollar88Peace_dollar88 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭

COOL! I would love a Peace Dollar in a PSA holder. Not sure if they do that or not.

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭✭✭

What in the .... ?

No.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    edited June 17, 2017 12:49PM

Looks like PSA will slab some medals that PCGS won't (but ATS just might?) including the following Nolan Ryan tokens. I generally think it's nice for PCGS to slab more so perhaps card collectors can help nudge PCGS in this direction.

Here are some results from searching nolan ryan psa coin.

• Options
    edited June 17, 2017 12:58PM

BTW, the Nolan Ryan coin at a PSA 9 grade has a pop of 4 with 1 higher meaning 1 with a perfect grade of 10. The PCGS pops have 211 MS70s so the perfect PSA coin is much more rare than a perfect PCGS coin.

https://www.psacard.com/cert/22692665/

This cert verification also says the coin is no longer being graded, so you better not crack out that perfect PSA coin ;)

Brand U.S. MINT OLYMPIC SILVER PROOF COIN (NO LONGER GRADING)

• Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭

Disclaimer: Continuing an older thread

I thought it was fake or manipulated slab until I saw other examples. I can understand getting the attention of card collectors to appreciate baseball themes on coins, but using this 1-10 scale on coins just does not seem right. Adding extra text or symbols on the PCGS label would be a nice touch, though. I like that Olympic coin and would appreciate it more if a PCGS label can include the words "Nolan Ryan" as part of the description. PCGS already has done wonderful and artistic things with its special labels that we sometimes see on the Chinese Pandas and Mexican Libertads, when they are slabbed.

"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

That looks like it was graded by an early copper guy.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well 80% of 70 is 56, so.........

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 29, 2019 8:48PM

I have one too (it's a coin from the Cook Islands but also has a sports card connection with Upper Deck):

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file