Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Can you recommend some modern key World Coins?

Hey guys,

I'm still new to Dark side coins. I've been learning from you all, from Cabalitos to Sun-face coins.

I don't know if I'm defining "modern", correctly, but (to me) a modern coin is one from the 1970's or later. I'm wondering if you all can make some recommendations for interesting modern keys. I'm talking about actual coins here, (vs. rounds). What are some cool looking modern key coins that I can consider for my collection? Ideally, something that I can buy before it becomes unobtainable price-wise. Perhaps something like a dramatic, well publicized error coin similar to our 1955 doubled die cent? Or are the modern coins so over-collected that they are all affordable? Right now, the only thing I can think of is coins from small African countries.

Any recommendations? And if you own them, can you post a picture?

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Really enjoying collecting coins and currency again

My currency "Box of Ten" Thread: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1045579/my-likely-slow-to-develop-box-of-ten#latest

Comments

• Options
    gscoinsgscoins Posts: 288 ✭✭✭

While they are expensive, the 1989 British sovereign anniversary coins (1/2 pound, 1 pound, 2 pound and 5 pound) gold coins are, in my opinion, flat-out gorgeous. Here are (I hope!) some links to pictures. They do cost more than comparable British mint products with the same quantity of gold, but their recent retail pricing has been strong. I should add that I do not own any...can't afford them!

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwi4tNv9kcPUAhXGeT4KHTtCDigQjRwIBw&url=https://taxfreegold.co.uk/1989halfsovereigns.php&psig=AFQjCNE46Rl316RG_OAjAQD4VuQBPsKvtg&ust=1497729138092138

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiAi4zJksPUAhWDaD4KHcdqCvAQjRwIBw&url=https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces14390.html&psig=AFQjCNE46Rl316RG_OAjAQD4VuQBPsKvtg&ust=1497729138092138

• Options
    stevereecystevereecy Posts: 203 ✭✭✭

Awesome coins! Thanks for the links. I wonder how the mintage compares to the prior years? I'll have to look that up. More coins for my want list.

My currency "Box of Ten" Thread: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1045579/my-likely-slow-to-develop-box-of-ten#latest
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1943 Irish halfcrown is one to look at, and if you can find and afford one, the 1943 Irish florin.

1943 was an interesting year in Irish predecimal coinage.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    jdmernjdmern Posts: 289 ✭✭✭

The 1943 halfcrown is certainly a great choice, and for the rarity, is actually a pretty good value still... If you do consider a 1943 Florin, make sure it's from a very reputable dealer or auction house, or TPG- I have seen several good quality fakes of that coin...

My recommendation would be a 1946 Newfoundland 5 Cent...

Justin Meunier

Boardwalk Numismatics

• Options
    MrBreezeMrBreeze Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭

I think you have presented a pretty tough question. I will tell you what I do, but you can't copy me :) . What I look for are coins minted for general circulation (or that I think intended to circulate) that have the lowest mintage in their respective series. I try to stay away from the proofs and 1 year types, as those are, in general, saved. And, I stay away from the coins that already seem to have "blown up" in price. For example, a 1960-s 100 Markkaa from Finland seems like a pretty boring coin. Its mintage is 290,000, nearly 1,000,000 less than any other year of the 5 year run of that particular design. It is priced at $20 in uncirculated. I would try to find an example that you believe is a no doubt grade of at least MS65. You can probably obtain one for significantly less than $20 if you scrounge around. Take that coin's big brother, the lowest mintage 200 Markkaa of the same time period, and you will see that the 1958-s 200 Markkaa books at $800 in uncirculated. Now, the mintage is only 34,000 compared to 290,000, but you can understand the concept. Each coin is the lowest mintage for the series. The 100 Markkaa has 8.5 times the mintage as the 200 Markkaa, but the 200 Markkaa books for 40 times the price. I would avoid the 200 Markkaa as it has "blown up." Finally, I tend to confine my search to silver coins.

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

To my way if thinking, a "key" coin needs a lot of people collecting a series of coins by date (or by date and mintmark).

If lots and lots of people aren't assembling such sets anymore, is the concept if a "key" coin still valid?

• Options
    stevereecystevereecy Posts: 203 ✭✭✭

This is great feedback. Good suggestions on the Irish coins. I'm keeping an eye on them now. Breeze and Bill's comments bring up some interesting points. Mr. Breeze's method is to go after low mintage stuff that's overlooked with the idea that the collectors will realized they are overlooking it as a low mintage specimen. But that brings up another question; Who is looking? And how is that group changing? I'm drawn to rarer coins...I am guessing most collectors are too. But where are most collectors coming from? England? The U.S.? China? I guess I'm asking who's buying and what they are going after.

• Options
    neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've seen lots of affordable, rare coins from African countries. If you are looking at making long term investment plays, then that could be a good option. Africa as a whole is expected to have huge growth in population and wealth over the next 50 years.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• Options
    Geckster109Geckster109 Posts: 231 ✭✭✭

The 1998 gold 1/2 ounce Panda is THE key modern world coin of the century. Go buy a few of those and you'll be able to put your kids through college in 15 yrs.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some enthusiasm there! Well, to each his own. IMO not the case with many coins that would claim the crown first.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options

@neildrobertson said:
    I've seen lots of affordable, rare coins from African countries. If you are looking at making long term investment plays, then that could be a good option. Africa as a whole is expected to have huge growth in population and wealth over the next 50 years.

In the early 1990s, the same reasoning was used to predict a big future for 18th and 19th Century Mexican coins as collectibles. Mexicans were coming to this country in droves, working hard, doing well, having big families, all those things would create an American-Hispanic middle and upper classes and a vast demand for better Mexican coins. Didn't happen.

• Options

@BillDugan1959 said:

@neildrobertson said:

In the early 1990s, the same reasoning was used to predict a big future for 18th and 19th Century Mexican coins as collectibles. Mexicans were coming to this country in droves, working hard, doing well, having big families, all those things would create an American-Hispanic middle and upper classes and a vast demand for better Mexican coins. Didn't happen.

For what it's worth, that didn't happen because the Mexican economy didn't take off like people thought it would. China's economy has grown big-time over the last 30 years and their coin market has also grown pretty magnificently. The base concept is probably valid, but it is only as useful as you are good at predicting the future.

"Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• Options

You cited "Africa" just now, not China. China is a huge bag of worms for the future because of such vast wealth inequality. It seems to me Chinese understand bullion and love speculation/ gambling and their appreciation of genuine numismatics is less evident. Finally, the predictions that I heard back in the 1990s didn't rely on "Mexico", but rather on Mexican-Americans.

One should concentrate on coins that appeal to one's own self and not worry about cutting a fat hog.

• Options

@BillDugan1959 said:
    You cited "Africa" just now, not China. China is a huge bag of worms for the future because of such vast wealth inequality. It seems to me Chinese understand bullion and love speculation/ gambling and their appreciation of genuine numismatics is less evident. Finally, the predictions that I heard back in the 1990s didn't rely on "Mexico", but rather on Mexican-Americans.

One should concentrate on coins that appeal to one's own self and not worry about cutting a fat hog.

:/

• Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really like cuban coins right now. The 1932 Cuban 20 centavo is a nice little key date for a popular series. Not tough to get in low grades, but over 45 with decent appeal it gets tough quick.