Home Metal Detecting
Options

$13.89 on a Sunday afternoon hunt on a Middle School football field/track

pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

Detected on a Middle School football field/track area yesterday afternoon. The temps have been in the high 80's and lower 90's for the last week and no rain. The ground is about as hard as a rock. The first areas that I hit was the hill side where the track kids camp out for meets and then to the high jump area. The ground was hard enough that I broke my favorite screw driver trying to get a quarter out and it was only down about 2 inches. Ended up with $13.89 in change and lots of that quarters (just for Ricko ;) ) Drank lots of water on this hunt

Comments

• Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭

Wow, you must've been sore after that! Have you gotten much rain lately? It hit 100 today here (at least according to my car).

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,537 ✭✭✭✭✭

That was a productive hunt!

Rain, what's rain?

bob:)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks PPC.... I never doubted quarters would dominate your finds... ;) Real nice total for a tough, hot, dry day. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

I went back to this middle school field today to detect a little more. 17 quarters. 13 dimes. 5 nickels and 4 pennies. the last two coins were pennies or my quarter to cent ratio would have been better. I'll be back on another day

• Options

:D:D "..... my quarter to cent ratio would have been better." Your quarter to cent ration is always fantastic.... I have no idea why you find so many quarters.... it is always a point of amazement. Great haul... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

you did better than I did this weekend

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

cool hunt ppc. im glad ya drank lots of water to. fwiw :)

• Options

We are having so many thunderstorms lately it is hard to get out in the mountains for any real searching.. I have a couple of sites I want to check, but lightning in the woods is not a good thing...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    basetsbbasetsb Posts: 508 ✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    :D:D "..... my quarter to cent ratio would have been better." Your quarter to cent ration is always fantastic.... I have no idea why you find so many quarters.... it is always a point of amazement. Great haul... Cheers, RickO

Through my studies, I have concluded that quarters and pennies are the most common coins dug. People find more quarters because they are the most useful form of change and are carried to and from vending machines/etc. They find pennies because they are the least useful form of change and are often dropped/lost/forgotten about. Nickels/dimes/halves are dug less often because they are not as used.

@basetsb_coins on Instagram

• Options

@basetsb .....Good logic, and I agree...even the parking meters here in town only take quarters....When I was a kid, I remember when the meters were first installed... they took pennies, nickels and dimes. And if you hit them just right, on the side, you could knock up to an hour free parking. :D Cheers, RickO