Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Does India produce official gold and silver bullion pieces?

WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

And if not, why? They have one of the biggest pools of precious metals consumers in the world.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
--Severian the Lame

Comments

• Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭

Thats a good question, I wonder that myself..........

Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

An interesting read: blog.gainesvillecoins.com/2015/09/23/india-issue-bullion/
    Don't know that it's been done but the idea was floated. Problem is I suppose is that so much of that gold is held either privately or by the religious elements, not the government/treasuries.

Haven't done any fact checking on this though.

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭✭✭

I live in California and I wrote to the Indian Mint in around 1964 asking about buying coins.

They sent back a pricelist which included gold mohurs, restrikes.

I couldn't afford them and of course it was illegal to import gold into the US then.

India currently has an agreement with the United Kingdom to manufacture gold sovereigns in India.

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options

Like the idea of a sovereign-sized coin. But it shouldn't be a sovereign or anything like it stylistically.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭

There is a collaboration between the Royal Mint and MMTC-PAMP, a Indian government-private business joint venture to make sovereigns. They are tributes of a sort to the 1918-I sovereigns with the same mint mark. The dies come from the Royal Mint.

Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

• Options

The Indian Gold Coin will be the first ever Indian national gold coin with the national emblem of Ashok Chakra engraved on one side and the face of Mahatma Gandhi on the other side

• Options

@Michael1 said:
    The Indian Gold Coin will be the first ever Indian national gold coin with the national emblem of Ashok Chakra engraved on one side and the face of Mahatma Gandhi on the other side

Interesting, but apparently this is a privately issued bullion piece from the Metals and Minerals Trading Corporation.
    Unless I'm mis-reading the copy, this isn't an official Indian government issue, has no official backing, and doesn't appear to have a face value.

--Severian the Lame
  • Options

@Weiss said:

@Michael1 said:

Interesting, but apparently this is a privately issued bullion piece from the Metals and Minerals Trading Corporation.
    Unless I'm mis-reading the copy, this isn't an official Indian government issue, has no official backing, and doesn't appear to have a face value.

The Honourable Prime Minister of India, Shri Narendra Modi has launched the Indian Gold Coin and Indian Gold Bullion at 7 Race Course Road, New Delhi on 5 November 2015. Both, the coin as well as the bullion will be the first ever national gold offerings by Government of India