Options
Newp from last night. GTG if you will...
CommemKing
Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
Paid a little premium on it, but I think it was worth it. Do you like the toning? Please GTG and opine if you want. I keep finding myself buying early commems even after selling my registry set. I guess I still have the fever.

3
Comments
Like the target tone on reverse.
Pink and greens on a toner are always good, but I couldn't live with the crusty area in and around his face. JMO
DO you think there's a chance it could continue to tone on and around the face?
I love Columbians for some reason. Nice coin. The portrait isn't as nice as the rest, but it doesn't bother me.
As for grade, I cheated and looked, but my guess was right on. In terms of eye appeal, I think the toning on this coin is positive, but I think a little more luster would make the colors pop more.
I like it.
bob
I've got one being graded now with almost the exact toning... just in reverse.
Should be ready in a few days w/ TV.
I am guessing MS64 on yours.
Same as mine I'm afraid.
Getting hooked on Commemoratives.
Though the toners command a bit of a premium, they are fun and fairly inexpensive in MS65 grades.
I have always liked the Columbians... ever since I used to get them in change as a paper boy - lo those many years ago...
..... Of course, I like them bright... even if more traveled than yours. Cheers, RickO
Has some very yummy colors but the toning breaks on and around the face are a bit distracting. The reverse is quite nice albeit lacking in the coloring of the obverse. I would grade the image MS64.
Joseph J. Singleton - First Superintendent of the U.S. Branch Mint in Dahlonega Georgia
Findley Ridge Collection
About Findley Ridge
I owned that coin earlier this year in an ngc 64 holder
I was going to say it looks like a 64/64+ to me. The marks in the left obverse field are too severe, I think, for it to get a gem grade.
Anyone have the definitive answer on why the Columbians tone with the rich green/red from the rims in like this one? It's so common, you almost HAVE to buy one like that! (Mine is a lowly MS-63...but it has the toning!)
I'm guessing it was the original packaging, but nobody has confirmed that for me....and I've asked more than once here.
Nice!
My YouTube Channel
My guess...it is in a 65+ holder.
The only way the coin will tone appreciably is if the ambient environment promotes the toning. If you keep the slab in a typical environment within a home or bank then it isn't likely to tone much, if at all, but if something is already on the surface that is promoting the toning then it might continue to darken over time.
In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson
I'd guess it gets to MS 65.
Guessing MS-64. Those Unc. Columbian's often come with nice toning, and I like yours also. As others mentioned, I agree that the face crust is a little distracting though.
- Jim
The obverse toning breaks/irregularities are somewhat distracting but nothing that I couldn't live with.
Overall, it's a very nice coin.
Sometimes, it’s better to be LUCKY than good. 🍀 🍺👍
My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947):
https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/