Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

OTS body-bagged slab "not an error recognized"

Got this from ebay. The coin has a dark appearance. I would call it stained. Can someone explain what happened here? Was it re-submitted to try to get an error designation?


Thanks,
hamster7

Comments

  • Options
    goodmoney4badmoneygoodmoney4badmoney Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @MsMorrisine said:
    ATS may have rejected a sintered planchet claim

    Yep, I would bet money on that being the case.

  • Options
    EXOJUNKIEEXOJUNKIE Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @goodmoney4badmoney said:

    @MsMorrisine said:
    ATS may have rejected a sintered planchet claim

    Yep, I would bet money on that being the case.

    Agree. That's pretty much the only logical explanation.

    I'm addicted to exonumia ... it is numismatic crack!

    ANA LM

    USAF Retired — 34 years of active military service! 🇺🇸
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I agree with the former conclusions... not a sintered planchet... just a dirty old Ike... ;) Cheers, RickO

  • Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

    US coins have never been made on sintered metal planchets. [Sintering - Formation of a solid mass of material by application of pressure and/or heat without melting; commonly used to form machine parts from powdered metals.]

  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 8,075 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I seem to remember seeing 'experimental rinse' attributed to some of the 'golden' dollars, but it may have just been Sacagaweas. They might have submitted it for that.

    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Kind of funny if you read that sticker in the right 'tone' of voice. I don't know what they were sending it in for but the response 'coin is toned' said in a deadpan/duh sort of way...


  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Then I guess "Off Sinter" wouldn't be the correct terminology.

    I'll go away now. :)

  • Options
    MedalCollectorMedalCollector Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @RogerB said:
    US coins have never been made on sintered metal planchets. [Sintering - Formation of a solid mass of material by application of pressure and/or heat without melting; commonly used to form machine parts from powdered metals.]

    I think the TPGs usually use the term 'improperly annealed', but they may use 'sintered', from time to time.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file