Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Sell my 1985 Topps McGwire PSA 10 or hold onto it?

2»

Comments

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,534 ✭✭✭✭✭

True but there is always the chance it might take a dip at some point as well. Who knows,maybe if Judge breaks Mcgwire's rookie home run record you might see it go up a bit more just from Mark's name getting attention for his rookie record for homers. Did you decide to just keep it?

• Options
    dictoresnodictoresno Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have decided to keep it, again. I can't gather up the courage to sell. As stated earlier in the thread by another user, it's important not only because it's an iconic card, but one I pack pulled and subbed myself from a $37 32 year old pack of cards. It's the cornerstone of my graded collection and my most valuable card. The story I tell my friends, family and one day my son, is amazing. I can't pull good crap from recent packs, so at least I have this lol.

myslabs.to/smzcards

• Options

well that's cool,I know how you feel. I feel the same way about my MJ fleer rc l've had since i pulled it in 86 when i was a kid. Its pretty sad to say that might have been my peak in pack pulling luck. I haven't bought any packs in a longtime.

• Options
    unclebobunclebob Posts: 433 ✭✭✭

My only experience are a pair of fairly rare VAM Morgan Dollars (my avatar).

It's ranked near the top ten in hardest to find, only surpassed by the 1878 8tf cluster or rare VAM's.

Picked two mint and two circulated examples off Ebay, sold them for over $3K.

Kept one of the AU examples.

The money was nice, but miss the giggle factor in holding coins I paid $60 to purchase.

I've looked and looked at thousands upon thousands of of auctions and... nada.

I think you would regret selling anything that will likely never be replaced at such a cost and has the probable upside thirty years down the road.

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

When you first started the thread I started to write don't sell it.

I would sell it.

If a $750 or so card is the apex of your collection and your cost basis is less than $50 with grading fees I think you would be better served to diversify. Your collection could broaden out significantly.

I am not disparaging your card but in all fairness I think it is a border line 10 and if you can get the current prices you win.

If Mark McGwire means something to you than keep it but other wise pull a Cramer and ring the register. I have plenty of cards that economically it made sense to sell but because of my love for the cards I disregarded the monetary element.

You have a good problem on your hands and good luck.

• Options

Well I have a decent collection of Jeter cards, mostly rookie cards, among others in my collection too. That's what I've been mainly focused on. I bought the original pack in order to score a gem mint 10 McGwire to flip. Now that I have it, I feel the story is too good to sell it. I mean I would love to and use it to buy other things. But it's a time tested card that's always had value. So even though I don't necessarily collect McGwire, I think the card is nice for my collection. I agree it isn't the prettiest 10, but it is nonetheless. I'm kinda still on the fence about it. But I would feel bad selling it and buying other things that will end up being a loss. I dunno. A tough decision.

myslabs.to/smzcards

• Options

I have a ton of cards I want to get graded. I would be tempted to use the money from selling the McGwire to pay for those (a bunch of Judge RC's and other high quality raw Jeters). I would hate to sell the card for grading fees vs for another card of similar value. Even though just a few of the judge cards would equal the McGwire once graded.

myslabs.to/smzcards

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

I collect PSA 10's so I am not in anyway suggesting there is anything wrong with them. In this case you can replace the card in a 9 for around $50 and get a lot more Jeter's which it appears you care for more.

Seems like an easy decision but if not keep the card. There is no right way to collect.

• Options

Wow this auction just ended. Definitely don't wanna sell it now. It's value seems to be going up alot!

myslabs.to/smzcards

• Options

myslabs.to/smzcards

• Options
    belzbelz Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭

That one is really sweet centering do the issue...worth the extra 250

"Wots Uh The Deal" by Pink Floyd
  • Options

So here's an update. Would like an opinion. I was offered a trade for the McGwire and I'm heavily considering it. I would receive

1. 1993 SP Derek Jeter PSA 8
    2. 1993 Stadium Club Murphy PSA 10
    3. 1993 Stadium Club Murphy complete set with very sharp looking Jeter that I would grade

What do you guys think? Fair trade? Worth collecting the nice examples of Jeter?

myslabs.to/smzcards

• Options

Is Jeter the main player you collect? if he is I say go for it especially if you don't have those Jeter cards.

• Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

recommend waiting for the hall thing to sort itself out if it is not burning a hole in your pocket.

• Options

@HighGradeLegends said:
    recommend waiting for the hall thing to sort itself out if it is not burning a hole in your pocket.

How so. I mean I thought he dropped off the ballots. You think they will let him in?

myslabs.to/smzcards

• Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

Thought he had another crack with vet committee, but they rarely elect living players, so you may be right

• Options

Jeter's HOF voting is coming up in a few years and you know his cards will rise when he gets in. That SP PSA 8 alone might match your McGwire PSA 10 in value once he's in.

• Options

So the trade could be worthwhile then I guess

myslabs.to/smzcards

• Options

In 2009-10 Jeter's 93 SP PSA 9 rookie was selling for just $300-400,now its around $3k. Do you already own his SP rookie graded or ungraded?

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    In 2009-10 Jeter's 93 SP PSA 9 rookie was selling for just $300-400,now its around $3k. Do you already own his SP rookie graded or ungraded?

Nope. This was going to add the unicorn Murphy and SP to my growing Jeter RC collection, hence why I want them more than I think I want the McGwire. The McGwire is just something I stumbled upon and got lucky. Now I can use it as buying power since using cash to obtain some of the cards I want is out of the question at this point. Funds needed for real world matters. But I think my Jeter rookie collection means more to me than the McGwire does.

myslabs.to/smzcards

• Options

I say go for it. You can always grade the pretty nice Murphy in the pic above then sell that to keep adding to your Jeter collection. Didn't you have a McGwire PSA 9 as well?

• Options

Yes I had it. Traded it for something else. But could easily get another one just to have it.

myslabs.to/smzcards