Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Sell my 1985 Topps McGwire PSA 10 or hold onto it?

I recently submitted an 85 Topps McGwire USA baseball rookie card from a pack pull and it came back as a PSA 10. Now I see some on eBay in the $800 range and one recently just sold for $679 on eBay at auction.

Now I'm trying to collect a lot of Derek Jeter cards. I've amassed a bunch of his rookie and pre-rookie cards in PSA 9 and 10 condition and I was considering trying to pick up some of the recent Topps serial numbered Refractor cards from 2015 (I already have the base cards and Chrome). But now that I see the 2017 Topps archive cards have his 1993-2015 base card reprints and some are /150, /99, /50, /10. I was considering maybe selling the McGwire to fund these purchases but I have no idea what the market has been like. Are these recent cards worth a lot already due to their scarcity and short print runs and serial numbers or will the McGwire be worth holding onto. Is the McGwire something that will continue to appreciate or is it at its peak?

Anyone able to steer my collection in the right direction? Would be looking to keep the cards for their value over time and pass them down to my son, not make a buck on them necessarily.

myslabs.to/smzcards

Comments

• Options
    SpinFadeSplash23SpinFadeSplash23 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭

As time goes by, regardless of your personal thoughts on PED use, the negative tends to get pushed aside and the positive comes to the surface. It was a magical run and he was a beloved athlete. Unless you need the money, hold until you have a compelling reason to sell. That is what I am doing with my stash of these.

Joe

IG: goatcollectibles23

The biggest lesson I've learned in this hobby, and in life, is that if you have a strong conviction, you owe it to yourself to see it through. Don't sell yourself, or your investments, short. Unless the facts change. Then sell it all.
  • Options
    prgsdwprgsdw Posts: 503 ✭✭✭✭

Congrats on the nice pull and beautiful card!

Personally I don't know if anyone can answer the question about the McGwire being at its peak or not. To me it would come down to a valuable rookie card vs. these extremely short printed, non-rookie or reproduction items (e.g. manufactured scarcity). The McGwire card is iconic of a generation (like Bonds) and, despite it's negative association with the sport, many collectors remember the excitement of the home run races - juiced or not. Not to mention his great rookie season. The Team USA uniform on that specific McGwire makes it more attractive (to me anyway) and a key card from the 1985 set from a set builders perspective.

Do you submit a lot of cards? I don't, so when I submit one that works out great like your above McGwire, that card has extra meaning to me because of the process. the excitement of the submission, the wait for validation of your estimate of the card, etc. It is a story I tell each time i show someone the cards, makes it more personal than saying "yea, was the high bidder on eBay for that". LOL

No one can tell you what to do, but in my opinion, I'd hold on to the McGwire for the collection to pass on to your son.

• Options
    dictoresnodictoresno Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't need the money, and I know it's an iconic card. But I guess my real question is would the money produced from selling it and used to buy the numbered Jeter cards pay off in the long run?

myslabs.to/smzcards

• Options
    edited June 4, 2017 12:06PM

@prgsdw said:
    Congrats on the nice pull and beautiful card!

Personally I don't know if anyone can answer the question about the McGwire being at its peak or not. To me it would come down to a valuable rookie card vs. these extremely short printed, non-rookie or reproduction items (e.g. manufactured scarcity). The McGwire card is iconic of a generation (like Bonds) and, despite it's negative association with the sport, many collectors remember the excitement of the home run races - juiced or not. Not to mention his great rookie season. The Team USA uniform on that specific McGwire makes it more attractive (to me anyway) and a key card from the 1985 set from a set builders perspective.

Do you submit a lot of cards? I don't, so when I submit one that works out great like your above McGwire, that card has extra meaning to me because of the process. the excitement of the submission, the wait for validation of your estimate of the card, etc. It is a story I tell each time i show someone the cards, makes it more personal than saying "yea, was the high bidder on eBay for that". LOL

No one can tell you what to do, but in my opinion, I'd hold on to the McGwire for the collection to pass on to your son.

Thanks for the input. I don't submit a lot of cards, as I can't afford it! But I have submitted a select few and have plans to submit 15 more once I join the PSA and use my vouchers. I'm just trying to pick up where I left off years ago and want to get as many Jeter cards that I can that I feel would hold great value over the next few years. But yea, I guess the McGwire card, population 278 now (mine was 277 two weeks ago) is I guess too iconic to let go just yet. Ive had many offers for it, but just can't bring myself to do it. Guess I'll just have to stick to cash for the Jeter cards for now lol.

On a side note, I have another one at psa now to be graded that I pulled from another pack. Doubt I can get that lucky again but we will see.

myslabs.to/smzcards

• Options
    dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭

Its currently a pop 278, will probably go higher, which means you can sell it now if you need the money.

Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • Options

@dtkk49a said:
    Its currently a pop 278, will probably go higher, which means you can sell it now if you need the money.

278 or of 46,000+ submitted. That's pretty good pop numbers even if you double it. And there probably aren't going to be alot more submitted that will be 10's due to decreasing new old stock.

myslabs.to/smzcards

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

Collect what you like regardless of value.

I would not count on people forgetting that McGwire cheated, he doesn't deserve to be where he is on the home run list. I would collect Jeter over him in a heartbeat.

Good luck with whatever you decide! Congrats on the PSA 10.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭

@dictoresno said:
    I don't need the money, and I know it's an iconic card. But I guess my real question is would the money produced from selling it and used to buy the numbered Jeter cards pay off in the long run?

I wouldn't sell that to buy the jeter cards you referenced. Maybe for his rookie or some special lower numbered autographed card.

• Options

@rcmb3220 said:

@dictoresno said:

I wouldn't sell that to buy the jeter cards you referenced. Maybe for his rookie or some special lower numbered autographed card.

I would consider it, especially if the Jeter cards will appreciate in value like the McGwire did. Don't wanna lose money. But I would love to have Jeters rookie cards in all 10's or low numbered serial cards or autos.

myslabs.to/smzcards

• Options
    ugaskidawgugaskidawg Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

I think this comes down to where your passion/focus lies. People keep saying to keep the McGwire, but you are saying that you want to go for Jeter cards. If you are more of a Jeter fan, then selling the McGwire to fund Jeter cards will be a win. If you are looking at this from an investment standpoint, weigh out your McGwire/low-numbered Jeter options and make a decision. But these are 2 very different approaches. If it is more because you are a Jeter fan and wanting to expand/upgrade your PC, then sell the McGwire to do so. You'll be happier.

• Options

I guess it's more of wanting to own the cards that will appreciate if value more over time so I have something of value to hand down or sell in the future. The Jeter cards are also more of an investment for the future as well. Wanting to pick them up now while they were less expensive so they are worth more on the future.

myslabs.to/smzcards

• Options
    muffinsmuffins Posts: 469 ✭✭✭

simple answer is to keep the mcgwire and do both until the other card pops at least.

since you dont sub a ton and landed a 10, ya might want to consider holding it for the experience factor and story since you mentioned possibly handing it down.

however, i wouldnt sell either of the mcgwires off to fund a bunch of jeter reprints/reissues/manufactured sps.

actual rookie cards, yes. but not that stuff, imo.

congrats on the 10 and best of luck on the other one snagging a ten, too.

• Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

Sell...use money to get something you really desire

• Options

@muffins said:
    simple answer is to keep the mcgwire and do both until the other card pops at least.

since you dont sub a ton and landed a 10, ya might want to consider holding it for the experience factor and story since you mentioned possibly handing it down.

however, i wouldnt sell either of the mcgwires off to fund a bunch of jeter reprints/reissues/manufactured sps.

actual rookie cards, yes. but not that stuff, imo.

congrats on the 10 and best of luck on the other one snagging a ten, too.

Didn't really think of it that way. Thanks.

myslabs.to/smzcards

• Options
    rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 4, 2017 7:26PM

Sell it and collect the Jeters you love. It's a nice and pm me if you want to sell I don't have one but tend to elect a lot of Clemens cards so it fits with my collection.

Good luck in whatever you decide it's really a high class problem.

Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
    Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
    1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hold, Wait for 1500.00

• Options
    cecropiamothcecropiamoth Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you don't need the money (like you stated) and can't bring yourself to do it (like you stated), I would keep the McGwire. Sellers remorse sucks.

• Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would keep it. Definitely a hot card going forward. If he makes the HALL, this would be a $1500 card all day.

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭✭✭

Everyone's opinion is valid for reasons that reflect their collecting tastes. I personally "collect" very little of anything that's not the old gray cardboard stock. I loved Jeter as a player, and while I do own many, many of his early cards in my raw collection, I have zero interest in the pursuit of the manufactured relics and autographs, etc., of any player and era. I'd definitely vote for keeping the McGwire.

The 85 McGwire is an iconic card, albeit with a sullied reputation presently. But owning a PSA 10, especially one that's been self-submitted, that's something that collectors of a certain age will always be envious of. You'll have not only the story of your submission to pass along to your children, but a touchstone to the story of the summer of '98, and everything that came after (good and bad), including Sosa's multiple 60+ seasons, Bonds 73, etc...

Collect what you want, first and foremost, but for value and the possibility of future appreciation, my vote stated again would be to hold onto the PSA 10 1985 McGwire over anything being currently manufactured with Jeter on it.

• Options

@countdouglas said:
    Everyone's opinion is valid for reasons that reflect their collecting tastes. I personally "collect" very little of anything that's not the old gray cardboard stock. I loved Jeter as a player, and while I do own many, many of his early cards in my raw collection, I have zero interest in the pursuit of the manufactured relics and autographs, etc., of any player and era. I'd definitely vote for keeping the McGwire.

The 85 McGwire is an iconic card, albeit with a sullied reputation presently. But owning a PSA 10, especially one that's been self-submitted, that's something that collectors of a certain age will always be envious of. You'll have not only the story of your submission to pass along to your children, but a touchstone to the story of the summer of '98, and everything that came after (good and bad), including Sosa's multiple 60+ seasons, Bonds 73, etc...

Collect what you want, first and foremost, but for value and the possibility of future appreciation, my vote stated again would be to hold onto the PSA 10 1985 McGwire over anything being currently manufactured with Jeter on it.

Awesome post. I think that confirmed my sway to keep it!

myslabs.to/smzcards

• Options

On a related note, I pulled another McGwire from another pack. Just got it back from PSA this morning and it got a 9. Keep or sell? If I were to sell, I would use the funds to buy more 1985 rack packs as I've been having luck with them. Any reason to hold the 9? I wouldn't mind having it to compliment the gem mint 10.

myslabs.to/smzcards

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,533 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would sell the 9. L/R centering is not especially appealing to me on that card and I'd wait for a better centered example to fill that PSA 9 slot.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Arsenal83Arsenal83 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭

^ this

• Options
    ElvisPElvisP Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭

I recently pulled one from a rack box that looks very similar to your 10 with the slight tilt. I thought the tilt may keep it from a 10 but it looks like it won't. Think I might have to submit it now. Do all McGuire's have this slight tilt?

• Options

All of the ones that I have seen have a slight tilt. Both of the ones I submitted also had the same tilt. I highly suggest you submit it, because you never know. When I submitted my 10 there were 276 of them. Mine made it 277, and now there are 279. So in the past month 2 more people after me received 10's.

myslabs.to/smzcards

• Options

So I'm back to my dilemma. I have this weird fixation on wanting to buy Trout rookie cards. I would again, be forced to sell the McGwire to fund it, but can't see myself to do it. I would use the funds to buy his 2011 Topps update card and probably a 2011 Bowman Chrome #175, both PSA 10's. But I can't tell if this "investment" would pay off over time. I would love to not have to sell it but don't wanna miss out on the rising cost of Trout cards. Think they topped out?

myslabs.to/smzcards

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd say take the gamble and wait to see if he makes it into the Hall of Fame. If he does his cards will probably make a slight jump in pricing.

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    I'd say take the gamble and wait to see if he makes it into the Hall of Fame. If he does his cards will probably make a slight jump in pricing.

Wait and see if McGwire makes it?

myslabs.to/smzcards

• Options
    edited July 3, 2017 5:22PM

It would be a gamble. He might not make it but if we see Bonds & Clemens get in McGwire probably does too not long after. It really comes down to do you want to wait that long? The only way I see this card jumping in price is with a HOF nod that might not happen. Maybe sell the 10 now for your Jeters & hold the 9 to see if he gets in or not.

• Options

Yea my only issue is I already missed out on the Trout hype in 2011 and now his cards have gone up. Do I get them now for fear of going higher or wait to see if they come down. That's the real question. I don't think the McGwire will drop.

myslabs.to/smzcards

• Options

Trout's cards could go the Brady,Lebron,Curry route especially if his team wins a WS at some point. Unless he has a huge falloff on the field,his cards are probably only gonna go up over time.

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    Trout's cards could go the Brady,Lebron,Curry route especially if his team wins a WS at some point. Unless he has a huge falloff on the field,his cards are probably only gonna go up over time.

Which brings me to my original question. Sell it and pick up 3 Trout cards with the money lol

myslabs.to/smzcards

• Options
  • Options

@erikthredd said:
    Go for it. You can always keep the 9

Traded it this week for a PSA 8.5 2011 Bowman Trout #101 lol

myslabs.to/smzcards

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,533 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't see McGwire making the Hall...Bonds and Clemens? Yes, but not McGwire. Simply not enough support for induction.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

Just checked the listing history, a bunch sold this year for $800+. Most in the $850 range. PSA price guide just showed it bumped up to $750 from $700. Very tempting.

myslabs.to/smzcards

• Options
  • Options

Ugh this is so annoying lol. So the general consensus is Trout rookie cards are a good future investment huh?

myslabs.to/smzcards

• Options
    vols1vols1 Posts: 766 ✭✭✭

@dictoresno said:

@erikthredd said:

Which brings me to my original question. Sell it and pick up 3 Trout cards with the money lol

Why not do both

• Options

@vols1 said:

@dictoresno said:

@erikthredd said:

Why not do both

I think that's what I'm gonna have to do. Can't get myself to sell it.

myslabs.to/smzcards

• Options

trout just broke his ankle!

• Options

he didnt. but see what i did there. all it takes w existing players.

• Options
    travis ttravis t Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

@muffins said:
    trout just broke his ankle!

You're pulling my leg!

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 7, 2017 1:04PM

Anyone able to steer my collection in the right direction? Would be looking to keep the cards for their value over time and pass them down to my son, not make a buck on them necessarily.

This is the kind of thing that would be fun to discuss in a round table with other collectors in person. Perhaps giving "advice" and "direction" are different things.

IMO, no one can steer anyone in the right direction.

Like a compass, individual's passion, collecting goals, likes, dislikes, desires reach out in 360 directions.

I have trouble parting with anything and haven't sold anything since Reagan was president.

I say, grab a long neck Bud, sit down and look at your collection introspectively for a while. I'm sure you'll come up with a solution to your dilemma.

Mike
  • Options
    psychumppsychump Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭

Bud is piss water. Geta six-pack of IPA and put the damn card up for sale! It's obvious you want to sell it, so take a couple pics of it and keep them for bragging rights then sell it yourself at an astronomical price (just to see), or send it off to PWCC or whoever and wait for cash to come in then buy Jeter!

Tallulah Bankhead — 'There have been only two geniuses in the world. Willie Mays and Willie Shakespeare.'
  • Options

So this one just sold today. Maybe I'll keep it longer. Last one I saw sell was $670 or so. This one blew it out the water.

myslabs.to/smzcards

• Options
    rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭

@erikthredd said:
    It would be a gamble. He might not make it but if we see Bonds & Clemens get in McGwire probably does too not long after. It really comes down to do you want to wait that long? The only way I see this card jumping in price is with a HOF nod that might not happen. Maybe sell the 10 now for your Jeters & hold the 9 to see if he gets in or not.

McGwire's off the ballot and ended with his last year at 12%. He will not get in too long after Bonds or Clemens which I'd predict probably both make it in 2019.

Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
    Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
    1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies
  • Options

@rtimmer said:

@erikthredd said:

McGwire's off the ballot and ended with his last year at 12%. He will not get in too long after Bonds or Clemens which I'd predict probably both make it in 2019.

I honestly didn't know that. I haven't kept up with HOF balloting in quite a few years. I was just thinking that would probably be the only way his 85 Topps rc goes up in price anytime soon.

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@rtimmer said:

@erikthredd said:

I honestly didn't know that. I haven't kept up with HOF balloting in quite a few years. I was just thinking that would probably be the only way his 85 Topps rc goes up in price anytime soon.

Well PSA price guide just bumped it from $700 to $750. And a few months ago a PSA 10 sold for just shy of $700. Now this one went for $877. The card is definitely still on the top of the market and increasing in value.

myslabs.to/smzcards

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭✭✭

I personally don't think McGuire ever gets in the Hall of Fame, but just because he's off of the writer's ballot doesn't mean all of his options have been exhausted. There is still the veteran's committee sometime down the road, as well as the various era specific committees that they form from time to time and enable with the power of selection.