Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

New Forum badge: "Numismatic Ambassador?"

Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been posting here a year +. There are several members on CU who post excellent information and more specifically, go out of their way to answer posts like: "I got this rare nickel..." or "Is the hole in my coin..." and give encouragement to the new folks.

I'm going to embarrass just one of them (I can think of many more) now as this morning I saw one of his typical posts to a new collector.

The member is "Ricko." He always signs off with "Cheers."

Perhaps the people who run this site will create another badge (if it does not cost an arm and a leg for new programming...LOL) for deserving members such as he. Just a thought. What do others think about it?

Comments

  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 34,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I like the idea in general, but there may be a problem with "Numismatic Ambassador" because of the Krause Publications now-defunct program by that name. How about "Numismatic Mentor?"

    Professional Numismatist, Retired. 55 year member ANA. Former ANA Senior Authenticator. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and ANA Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner of the PNG's 2026 Robert Friedberg Award for "The Enigmatic Lincoln Cents of 1922," Available now from Whitman or Amazon.
  • Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @CaptHenway said:
    I like the idea in general, but there may be a problem with "Numismatic Ambassador" because of the Krause Publications now-defunct program by that name. How about "Numismatic Mentor?"

    AFAIK, that Krause program was winding down and was about to go away when the Numismatic Editor, Dave Harper approached the ANA to take over the program. We all know how slow big decisions are made....LOL. Anyway, Randy Campbell, President of F.U.N. jumped in and in a flash, that organization took the "Numismatic Ambassador" Program over.

    Anyway, I see no problem with using that name for a badge here as it is for a good cause; however, I like the name you suggested much better.

    The lack of interest in this thread so far leads me to believe it was a stupid idea on my part. :(

  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Reminds me of getting a gold star in grade school LOL.

  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 3, 2017 11:58AM

    Do they have to be confirmed by the Senate? Could take a while that way....remember Judge Garland? Or the nominated Mint Director?

  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,663 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Buys what he likes, doesn't like tarnish, never sells ( except some dark side gold a few years ago on bst) secures them himself , looks at them whenever he wants, doesn't have shops or shows nearby, doesn't post pictures, used to live in Pacific north west, and many other great places, knows a little something about almost everything, and always Cheers RickO, that guy?

    Very positive and encouraging numismatic ambassador for sure, but there are others, even prior responders in this thread, that should also be considered if one were to prioritize by merit

    Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I think that's a great idea and Ricko is very deserving, he is always very nice in his posts.

  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 24,562 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Maybe we can settle for Numismatic Statesperson... And for those that feel that is too politically correct or incorrect, we can use Numismatic Information Director

    Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 34,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

    By the way, what happened to our titles under our icons?

    Professional Numismatist, Retired. 55 year member ANA. Former ANA Senior Authenticator. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and ANA Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner of the PNG's 2026 Robert Friedberg Award for "The Enigmatic Lincoln Cents of 1922," Available now from Whitman or Amazon.
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

    That's the ticket...a gold star under the icon.:)

  • Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Not a "stupid" idea. It simply means you are ahead of the crowd.

  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 20,848 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @RogerB said:
    Do they have to be confirmed by the Senate? ...

    No, but they do have to be confirmed by the Circle of Trust™.

  • Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @messydesk said:

    @RogerB said:
    Do they have to be confirmed by the Senate? ...

    No, but they do have to be confirmed by the Circle of Trust™.

    Who is the "Circle?" Moderators or long-time "connected" members?

  • Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Insider2 said:

    @messydesk said:

    @RogerB said:
    Do they have to be confirmed by the Senate? ...

    No, but they do have to be confirmed by the Circle of Trust™.

    Who is the "Circle?" Moderators or long-time "connected" members?

    Remember Stonehenge or the Ring of Brodgar? Kind of like those.... :)

  • Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

    The wise old Druids?

  • Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @ricko is a good guy, don,t sell him anything but blast white though! :)

    The court jester does not play, but gently pulls the strings…

  • Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @topstuf Someone here is going to do what you just did using gold bars!

  • Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

    We had an Ambassador here about 15 years ago.

    Larry

  • Options
    ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @CaptHenway said:
    By the way, what happened to our titles under our icons?

    Just noticed that, good question

    If it's simple enough to do, it would be a nice idea to have a badge like mentor, ambassador, something like that. There's a few forum members that do bring a lot to the table and it would be good to recognize them.

  • Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,363 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @ldhair said:
    We had an Ambassador here about 15 years ago.

    Larry?

  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Insider2...Thank you for the kind words... Those are more treasured than any title. I believe newcomers need to be encouraged, no matter what their question may be - it is likely some of us had the same type of question at some point when we were starting out. As for other threads, I find it far more productive to employ diplomacy.... it often results in fruitful dialogue that may even benefit both parties. Onward we go... Cheers, RickO

  • Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @ldhair said:
    We had an Ambassador here about 15 years ago.

    There are all kinds of folks here. Probably ANA, PNG, and coin club past officers, major dealers, TPGS employees, etc. If I were the editor of a numismatic publication, I'd be lurking here at the least.

    I'm talking about the heart-and-soul posters. The what? They are both "little guys" and "big boys" in the industry but you would not know it. The only way to explain what I mean is to possibly embarrass (I won't) more folks - three of them posting here besides Ricko,; but they are different to me. While each of them would qualify for a "World Class Numismatist for the Ages badge", two of them are closer to the "spirit" of the "mentor" badge I suggested.

    It ain't going to happen. It was just something that went through my head at the time. Although the phrase "Give back to the hobby" makes me gag whenever I hear it, people like the ones we either know by name or follow for their knowledge usually don't care about any recognition. Members here longer than me already know who they are. Enough touchy-feely thoughts...LOL. Let's close this thread before I vomit!

  • Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Well all try to help out in whatever little way we can. Sometimes it isn't so easy. Please don't vomit Insider2........it will leak down into my post.

    Pete

    "I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

    No barfing in this thread.... I want to save it because it made me feel so warm and fuzzy.... :D ... Cheers, RickO

  • Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @topstuf said:

    @RogerB said:

    @Insider2 said:

    @messydesk said:

    @RogerB said:
    Do they have to be confirmed by the Senate? ...

    No, but they do have to be confirmed by the Circle of Trust™.

    Who is the "Circle?" Moderators or long-time "connected" members?

    Remember Stonehenge or the Ring of Brodgar? Kind of like those.... :)

    Who said STONEHENGE??

    Is it time to celebrate the Silver Solstice already?

    The more you VAM..
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,489 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 7, 2017 2:33PM

    It would be great to have ambassador tokens that PCGS would slab and grade, like the following ambassador token for Martin Weiss:

  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,489 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 7, 2017 2:05PM

    @CaptHenway said:
    I like the idea in general, but there may be a problem with "Numismatic Ambassador" because of the Krause Publications now-defunct program by that name. How about "Numismatic Mentor?"

    What if the awards were qualified with the provider, like "Krause Numismatic Ambassador"?

  • Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

    The PCGS Mods, possibly with nominations, would control the badge. It would be so easy to explain if I could use member's names but I won't. How about this:

    Let's say David Hall was a member here and always posted good info. Lets say he had 3 stars and 500 posts. While he is being a mentor, he is not "busy" enough. Let's say a numismatic researcher posted here. He also has 3 stars and 500 posts. While we all love his posts, learn unknown stuff, and he has 2000 likes, he is not the type of member to receive the badge either. This badge is not a personality thing, a popularity contest, a recognition of numismatic knowledge, etc. I is given to the Joe Blow on CU, who has thousands of posts, most that are on the spot correct and often are rehashes to new members who have pedestrian questions that no one (like me) cares about enough to answer except those deserving the proposed "Numismatic Mentor" badge.

    I'm too new here. I can only think of two members at the moment.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file